Thread: To clean or not to clean, that is the question.

To clean or not to clean, that is the question.

I have just purchased a 93r17 and read through the first five pages of this Forum. While reading through the first five pages I see it is recommended not to clean the gun between trips to the range, it looks like it is recommended to never clean the gun. I have always been a meticulous gun cleaner. I suppose I can change that if it is not recommended. So, what do y'all say? Do I break in the barrel, a la shoot 5 rounds and run a bore snake up to 50 rounds or just start running ammo through it to see what ammo it likes? Do I ever run a cleaning patch, brass brush or bore snake though the barrel? Do I break down the bolt, clean and lubricate it or just run it until it dies?

Basic Member
    Just shoot it! I only clean if accuracy falls off. However, whatever you choose to do be consistent. Only reason to change is if what you're doing isn't working. I do however clean the action and chamber between range trip on the center fire rifles, but leave the barrel alone.

For the 17hmr I would probably just shoot it till it died.

My 93r17 likes it dirty... I can shoot it all I want and the accuracy never changes. I cleaned it over the winter just cause I was bored one afternoon, not because accuracy dropped off. It sure is nice having a gun thats not fussy. Amazing little gun. Enjoy it!

Basic Member
    I only clean my rifles when groups become inconsistent.
    Las far as break in your trying to smooth out the machining marks in the throat with the copper from the jacket. And you don't wasn't powder fouling between copper layers.
    So I shoot and clean,using an Otis bore snake between every shot for the first 5,then shoot 2 and clean for a couple strings,then shoot a group of 5 then clean. Finish the box and done.
    From there establish how your rifle shoots so you know when it's accuracy is losing consistency.
    I coat my bullets with HBN too. But I break in with clean ones.

Clean, Learn what your rifle needs. It may "copper up" fast. Never hurts to push a Hoppes #9 soaked patch through. You don't need to strip the barrel clean after every trip but passing a projectile across nastiness for extended shooting sessions cant be a good thing. Copper left in a dry bore can cause damage. Always shoot through a dry barrel.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Uncle
    I agree with Robinhood running a patch through the barrel can not hurt it. It can only extend the barrel life. Run a patch of#9 through the barrel after each session let it sit for a little then dry and lubricate---- before firing run a dry patch to remove excess oil. Cleaning and lubricating can only extend barrel life. If your barrel likes to be shot dry the first 1 or 2 rounds will be off zero then it will return to zero. I don't like going to bed dirty I don't think my rifle does either. I really think the cleaning procedure is more a preference of the shooter than the rifle.

Emerson Biggies
    I bought a one piece rod for my 17HMR. The removable tool on the end is a pointed thingee. Pushing a patch thru the bore will invariably result in punching a hole thru the patch or just plain jamming in the bore. I'd give my left arm for a bronze bore brush that is made for the bore. I can't seem to find anything smaller than a 22 caliber brush. I have also looked for the split end tool(jag?) for the rod and find nothing in my small town that comes near the right size. Where does one look for these micro-small tools? No wonder there are so many who don't clean. Thank you for your ideas.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Biggies View Post
    Where does one look for these micro-small tools? No wonder there are so many who don't clean. Thank you for your ideas.
    The local Sportsman's Warehouse has some, and I just ordered a rod, etc from Midway.

Hope this helps

Basic Member
    Those little cleaning rods are so small they bow a lot. When possible, always use a bore guide. I bought the bore guide for my Sav 93/17HMR from Sinclair. I only use nylon brushes from Montana X-Treme but Sinclair makes 17 cal nylon brushes also.

Basic Member
    I agree with SavRimfire. Get a carbon fiber rod and try to stay away from the SS rods.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.h View Post
    I agree with SavRimfire. Get a carbon fiber rod and try to stay away from the SS rods.
    I use a carbon fiber rod in all my 17's, I think it's a Gunslick brand. X2 on using any cleaning rod that isn't at least coated and with all the really good chemical cleaners that are available for copper and carbon removal, there is no need to use anything but nylon brushes and NEVER use a SS brush.

I had a gunsmith, that specializes in Savages, tell me a lot of people do more harm than good by improperly cleaning their barrels, specifically rimfire barrels and the use of brushes.

I've also been told by multiple custom barrel makers that if you don't use a proper fitting bore guide to clean your barrel, you're better off not cleaning it at all.

Basic Member
    When I was in high school I shot 4 position indoor small bore.....I used the club rifles which were all Anschutz. One day after a match I asked my coach how often they cleaned the barrels on the rifles......His response was "whenever they need it".......Needless to say in all the years I shot there the inside of the barrels were never cleaned and the rifles performed at a very high level....accurate enough that I shot good enough to place second in our regionals....The guy that beat me every time was the coaches son. He was competitive at the national level and received a scholarship to shoot on at college.

Since then I've rarely cleaned a 22 lr barrel...........just when they are new for the most part.

Emerson Biggies
    Mr. Savrimfire, all the Montana X-Treme brushes that Midway list look like metallic fiber(bronze) brushes to me. What is the part number of the suggested Nylon brushes?
    Wow, I had no idea that the one piece carbon rods could be so expensive. My steel rod was about $15 and I thought that was way too steep.
    I thank my stars for my good fortune in finding CCI 17HMR ammo for $3.56/Box at Meijers in Michigan. I was able to buy up the whole stock before they found out about the pricing error. Now I have a 10 year supply!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Biggies View Post
    Mr. Savrimfire, all the Montana X-Treme brushes that Midway list look like metallic fiber(bronze) brushes to me. What is the part number of the suggested Nylon brushes?
    https://www.westernpowders.com/index...&product_id=99

Basic Member
    I've become fond of the jag brushes and triangle patches from Rigel. http://rigelproducts.com/products.html They have both nylon and bronze, they are cheap enough that I usually order a couple of each.
    Carbon fiber cleaning rod:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...d-carbon-fiber

Basic Member
    Just a couple of thoughts: you can make your own bore guide by drilling out a spent appropriate shell, in this case an empty 17HMR shell. Also, I frequently use a wood doweling to push wet/dry patches through the bore; I "shave" one end of the doweling (for about a 3/4" length), down a bit so the patch will fit over the doweling and into the bore without any difficulty. There is no way a wood doweling should damage a bore.