Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms' New FFP Reticle

Primary Arms' New FFP Reticle

I noticed Primary Arms has their new 6-30x56mm FFP scopes on their website. The scopes look great on paper with a load of nice features. The price tag is also what one would expect for having so many features, which caught me a bit off guard for being a PA. What caught my attention is that one of the scopes has the ACSS HUD DMR, which is...I don't know, it is what it is. The other one has an apparently new design that looks like a robot farted on the crosshairs or maybe they compressed a jpeg image of a mil-hash reticle until it developed artifacts. It's unusual to say the least, but I imagine it could be at least decent.

Yeah, the recticle makes me a little sad. But now that a FFP mil/mil is A-Popular, B-Priced to the average Joe. It seems vogue to do some strange things, and in another option of theirs have a stupid hybrid BDC type affair.
    I hope they make someone happy, but for me I'm ordering more of the standard 4-14's
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I actually emailed them and stated I would have be interested in their new scope had they offered it with the R-Grid reticle. I believe that reticle would actually have a much larger market value especially if paired up with a budget/entry level rifle like the RPR. I would even consider it to be highly competitive with the Bushnell's if the RGrid was offered. I just wanted to know what their train of thought was and who did their market research. (Mind you my background is in the Contracting Field) I thought that this was a let down for sure as far as offerings here.

Basic Member
    The more polluted and complex a reticle becomes the more useless it is.

The 4-14 with a good ol mildot is the way the to go if you must have a PA.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Some of the "polluted" reticles are very well thought out if you know how to use them! In that case they blow away the standard Mil-dot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Some of the "polluted" reticles are very well thought out if you know how to use them! In that case they blow away the standard Mil-dot.
    What is your opinion of the ACSS HUD reticle?
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    It might be ok for a DMR that would be mostly 600 and in with an occasional trip to 800 or so. But for a precision optic I would prefer their RGrid rrticle if it was offered in their 6-30x56 option that's coming out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    As a rule those kind of shooters don't even need a reticle. lol

$1,500 is "average joe"??
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    $1,500 is "average joe"??
    pretty average in the high end competitive arena.

It's entry level for high end glass and could be average considering how high the prices for scopes can go. Still, I interpreted darkker as saying mil/mil FFP scopes are becoming priced for average Joes thanks to the emergence of the Primary Arms 4-14x44 and its differently-branded cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Still, I interpreted darkker as saying mil/mil FFP scopes are becoming priced for average Joes thanks to the emergence of the Primary Arms 4-14x44 and its differently-branded cousins.
    Precisely!!!!

As a minor update to this.
    I called and talked to PA this morning, as I was re-examining this scope last night. I guess I never noticed before, but they list the adjustment range in MOA. I told them this is daffy. Someone who wants a Mil reticle with Mil adjustments doesn't want to do math to see what the total adjustment is. Said they would change the website.

Basic Member
    What do you guys think of the reticle in Athlon's version of the 4-14 FFP scope? I like the looks, but haven't had a chance to try it in the real world yet.

I just got my Athlon (6-24x50mm) with that reticle! I've yet to mount it on a gun, but I think I'm going to try it at my new range this weekend. This is the first Christmas tree type reticle I've used, so it will be interesting. It looks pretty good though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    What do you guys think of the reticle in Athlon's version of the 4-14 FFP scope? I like the looks, but haven't had a chance to try it in the real world yet.

To me its similar to the Horus reticle, which (can) offer an advantage for quick follow up shots for a hunter.
    If I were using this reticle, and my shot landed at the first dot to the right of say #5, id simply hold that dot on
    the target and shoot again right now. Which is why to me at least, all the other scope features would essentially be meaningless.

Basic Member
    Let's get that review up Chris!!

Team Savage

Elementry my Dear Watson

seems like the perfect place to ask this question,,,,,,even at age 63 my centerfire rifle shooting is very limited , my wondering is this,,, at longer ranges , say over 300 yds , what magnification is needed , lets say out to 6-800 yds , be it hunting , or shooting paper or metal , i have lupy 4-14 and 6.5 - 20,,,,, so all you regulars, dr t ,,,, darker , yo , etc,,,, give me your thoughts on the subject , thanks
    Last edited by savgebolt; 07-03-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Team Savage
    edited

Team Savage
    question for the regulars ,, my centerfire shooting experience is limited , what scope magnification is desireable at ranges 3-800yd when hunting , shooting paper or metal,,,, i have 4-14 and 6.5-20 but have only shot to around 150 yds , thank for your input

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savgebolt View Post
    question for the regulars ,, my centerfire shooting experience is limited , what scope magnification is desireable at ranges 3-800yd when hunting , shooting paper or metal,,,, i have 4-14 and 6.5-20 but have only shot to around 150 yds , thank for your input
    Do you put cream and sugar in your coffee? If so how much? LOL
    But seriously it can be just as much a personal thing. For strictly shooting, I don't mind more power.
    But for l/r hunting, id sooner compromise the power for a bigger field. I would personaly rarly go beyond 12x and less if I can.
    But then we also (prefer) places where shots are much less than 1000 yds. And the simple reason for that is that its easier to hit them.
    So in view of that, I feel a high scope power isn't really necessary or desirable.

I was just out at my "local" 1000 yard range and found a 10x Bushnell to be fine for whatever size torso targets they had out there. I can imagine a smaller target would require a bigger magnification.

And the review on the Athlon is pending. I didn't have good drop data for the .308 it was on, which made connecting past 500 a bit fidgety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savgebolt View Post
    I have made 5 consecutive hits on a 6" plate at 1000 yds with a Bushnell 10X fixed scope. With that being said, peoples eyes are different so what works for me may not work for you. My standard (budget) scope for 1000 yds is an SWFA 12X fixed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    I have made 5 consecutive hits on a 6" plate at 1000 yds with a Bushnell 10X fixed scope. With that being said, peoples eyes are different so what works for me may not work for you. My standard (budget) scope for 1000 yds is an SWFA 12X fixed.
    For me, just seeing the plate would be a challenge let alone hitting it. And if I did id quit while I was winning lol.

Basic Member
    I'm going to have to read some really shining field reports on the Primary Arms 6-30x56 before I even consider dropping $1500.00 on one, when I can get the Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite Tactical XRS for a few hundred more on the street price. I know the Bushnells hold zero, rtz, track straight, and the click values are equal. An added plus is the glass from 4X to 30X is excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast