Thread: Rockite question

Basic Member

Rockite question

I have been reading about the use of Rockite to give the Axis stock some spine. Others have said it added about 4 oz. to the fore end. I'm thinking I should add a like amount of weight to the buttstock to maintain the balance, but I'm not sure how to open up that space. Anyone care to offer advice on that, and on the procedure in general?
    Last edited by 4Patriot; 05-03-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Basic Member
    Youtube has a video or 2. Incidentally, I filled the butt with rockite in the wrist area only and stuffed the rest of it with packing peanuts. Has great balance

Basic Member
    Thanks alltherage, I found the answer -- the rear sling screw needs to be unmounted, releasing the recoil pad insert.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you achieved the right balance. (I have another question posted on that subject.) It seems to me that given the nature of Rockite, trial and error is not the right approach. An analytical approach might be best.

Basic Member
    I filled all the major front cavities till they were a tick shy of overflowing. I didn't fill the very small miscellaneous ones. I then removed the buttpad and stuffed a packing peanut all the way down so it would plug the hole in the stock where the trigger guard goes. I didn't want the rockite oozing out. Then I just filled the stock until the wrist area was full. I stopped as it was just barely starting into the main buttstock. I let it dry for a few hours and then mashed in a bunch of packing peanuts and re-inserted the butt pad. very happy with the balance as well as the muted sound of the buttstock when i rub objects on it. I didn't want that hollow sound. Didn't track the weight gain but i have 2 axis hb (1 hasn't been rockited yet) and it is difficult to tell the difference when holding one in each hand.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Styledogg
    I have a extra savage stock I plan on turning into a bench stock by rockite'ing the forend/ cut away as much as I can of the left and right side of the forend lip, may bend up some aluminum strips in diamonds and triangles shapes before I rocktite. then fill the buttstock and finally bed the action.

Recoil and/or heat won't degrade or loosen the Rockite?

doodedge
    I did my fore-end in two part epoxy filled with ball bearings and the buttstock and wrist section with some expanding foam crap, with threaded rod through the wrist for stability and misc broken tools and **** in the buttstock for weight haha.... all of which was in vain because several months later I was obsessed and got a boyds stock anyways ;-)

MoToad
    Did the forestock and buttstock with the stuff. I now have one heavy rifle. Hard to say whether it helped or not because I just retriggered and that made all the difference in the world. As for what the Rockite can stand up to? It seems heavily plasticized so I would think it's not coming lose any time soon. Same stuff as floor leveler but sets real fast.