Thread: Cleaning Routine For Savage 10 FCP-SR ,308

cica_trix

Cleaning Routine For Savage 10 FCP-SR ,308

Hello,

I was wondering if what is a good way to go about with a cleaning/ maintenance schedule and methods for the bolt rifles. Mine is Savage 10 FCP-SR (308).

How many shots do you guys go through before a good cleaning sessions, and how often do you guys do a light cleaning sessions?

Currently I am around 200 shots from my last cleaning session.

Thanks! )

Well I clean after every range session

When I was.growing up when we got home from hunting we cleaned guns

Guess it is a habit. Feel guilty if I don't

Basic Member
    I also clean after every range session which is about 80-100 rounds. I'm certain that other will have differing opinions and I've read that a lot of people don't clean until accuracy starts to drop off. Some folks go hundreds of rounds before a thorough cleaning. Other folks think that "overcleaning" (which is what they would call my schedule) is potentially harmful and should not be done. I don't really know. I think it's largely a matter of what you feel comfortable with. I personally like to clean after every range session, whether I shoot 100 or 60 rounds.

Basic Member
    Bore, chamber, lug abutments-recesses after each range session. Bolt internals-trigger at least twice a year.
    Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Bore, chamber, lug abutments-recesses after each range session. Bolt internals-trigger at least twice a year.
    Bill
    Same here or if I'm bored on a rainy day the bolt internals will get it more often, but minimum twice a year. Trigger flushed with Zippo fluid when it's cleaned.

cica_trix
    Yesterday I shot two groups, after I have ran exactly 265 rounds on my savage 10 fcp sr. My first cold bore group was not that great, then my second group was good, and with in my shot call radius with the load I had yesterday. Then I ran a nylon brush with Hoppe's 9 for about 5 times. Let it sit for about 10 mins. Then I ran a wet patch twice. Then follow up with some more dry patches. Then one patch of Hoppe's oil then ran it up with a few more dry patches to take out the oil and remaining residues.

I shot the exact same two 4 shots groups on the same target, and both groups places about 4 inches high. Although the very first shot after cleaning was 4 in high and about 2 in more to the right then the rest of remaining shots. I shot one more 4 shot group and it was still 4 ins higher than my fouled barrel.

As for group size the 2nd group on my fouled barrel is about the same as groups on post cleaning.

I guess this is normal? This time round I did not see any green residues on my patches, unlike the last time. I was surprised as I though I would see some copper residues (after 265 shots) when I ran my patches. Maybe I need a dedicated copper remover.

Basic Member
    I don't think that is normal. 4 inches is a lot of difference. I could understand 1/2" inch difference, but not 4. At least I've never seen this out of any of my rifles. Maybe I'm mistaken, JMHO.

jfksc
    After every range session, except when I know I'm hunting. My rifle always shoots the first 1-2 rounds high after cleaning with an oiled patch afterwards. I'll clean, verify zero at range with a group, and then leave the bore fouled for the hunting season. Only shoot 1 round typically per hunting trip so don't feel the need to clean after each one unless we get bad weather.

Team Savage
    Last year I tried doing a quick clean with no brush after each range session on my Mod10. It went well until at about 200 rounds, it went to 3 MOA. Started a thorough cleaning that lasted 4 hours, not including a trip to the store for a dedicated copper remover. 50-60 passes with the brush and patches to get it clean, and back to sub-moa. Lesson learned, I have to clean it well after each range session. Or bring another rifle in the event things go south unexpectedly. Another factor in this scenario is a switch to a low odor cleaning compound. My experience is that it didn't work well for me. I'm back to Hoppes #9. I just do the cleaning on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    Last year I tried doing a quick clean with no brush after each range session on my Mod10. It went well until at about 200 rounds, it went to 3 MOA. Started a thorough cleaning that lasted 4 hours, not including a trip to the store for a dedicated copper remover. 50-60 passes with the brush and patches to get it clean, and back to sub-moa. Lesson learned, I have to clean it well after each range session. Or bring another rifle in the event things go south unexpectedly. Another factor in this scenario is a switch to a low odor cleaning compound. My experience is that it didn't work well for me. I'm back to Hoppes #9. I just do the cleaning on the porch.
    Try boretech eliminator

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cica_trix View Post
    Yesterday I shot two groups, after I have ran exactly 265 rounds on my savage 10 fcp sr. My first cold bore group was not that great, then my second group was good, and with in my shot call radius with the load I had yesterday. Then I ran a nylon brush with Hoppe's 9 for about 5 times. Let it sit for about 10 mins. Then I ran a wet patch twice. Then follow up with some more dry patches. Then one patch of Hoppe's oil then ran it up with a few more dry patches to take out the oil and remaining residues.

I shot the exact same two 4 shots groups on the same target, and both groups places about 4 inches high. Although the very first shot after cleaning was 4 in high and about 2 in more to the right then the rest of remaining shots. I shot one more 4 shot group and it was still 4 ins higher than my fouled barrel.

As for group size the 2nd group on my fouled barrel is about the same as groups on post cleaning.

I guess this is normal? This time round I did not see any green residues on my patches, unlike the last time. I was surprised as I though I would see some copper residues (after 265 shots) when I ran my patches. Maybe I need a dedicated copper remover.
    You're not seeing any good greens/blues because you're using Hoppes No 9, which is not a very strong solvent at all. Had you used something like Sweets 7.62 or Montanas you'd have seen more copper fouling come out of that barrel

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    50 to 60 passes just to scrub a bore clean? That's quite excessive and I'd get rid of whatever "low-odor" cleaner you tried that didn't really clean that well at all it sounds like. How long did you let the solvent set, and was it even a dedicated copper solvent? Heck after 400+ rounds of 5.56 in one of my ARs I did 5 down and back passes with a nylon brush and some Sweets 7.62 and that was plenty.

So many these days fail to use a legit copper solvent (not saying you are one of them) or they just use something like Hoppes No 9 and only let it set a few min which in turns barely does anything due to it being a relatively weak solvent itself.

cica_trix
    Thanks for the recommendations. I will look in to Sweets 7.62 or Montanas. My total round count on this rifle is 873 rounds. I thought it may be too early to do a real cooper removal cleaning so I was just sticking to the Hoppes # 9 for now.

Yesterday, I was getting some good shots , some sub-moa groups when I did my part. What would be a good recommendation to incorporate a copper removal session on top of the regular cleaning sessions? Or should I just stick with something like Sweets 7.62 on my regular cleaning schedule?

Thanks

Team Savage
    Yes, I kept the low-odor stuff for cleaning the bolt, etc. I'd been using it on the bore since day one, including letting it soak for up to an hour. When accuracy fell off, I started with #9, and finished with Hoppes Copper Remover to remove huge amounts of blue/green. Patched it until clean. The time it took and the amount of carbon and copper that was removed was impressive. I suppose the real take home message is that my Mod10 factory barrel has to be pretty clean to shoot well. Not to mention, I have to use a product that gets the job done.

Basic Member
    I shoot my flcp-sr until I feel like cleaning it or when i think accuracy is starting to drop off. I have yet to reach the latter point.

After each range session I do coat the bore with one oiled patch.

Use a bore guide to protect the throat of your chamber. Sinclair makes a good one.

As far as cleaners, if you use 7.62 make sure you follow the directions. I started using a synthetic based cleaner that isnt so harsh from sinclair. Forget the name at the moment....

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Wipe-Out... Every 100 rounds in my .223 but my other guns get the bore cleaned after I shoot them (which isn't that often). I let the Wipe-Out sit for 2-3 hours and patch it out with a good caliber-match jag or a Nylon brush with a patch wrapped around it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cica_trix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    I shoot my flcp-sr until I feel like cleaning it or when i think accuracy is starting to drop off. I have yet to reach the latter point.

After each range session I do coat the bore with one oiled patch.

Use a bore guide to protect the throat of your chamber. Sinclair makes a good one.

As far as cleaners, if you use 7.62 make sure you follow the directions. I started using a synthetic based cleaner that isnt so harsh from sinclair. Forget the name at the moment....

Bill

I finally got a bottle of sweet 7.62. I am still on the fence of actually using Sweet on my fcp-sr. The rifle have about 900 rounds through it, but I feel like it is still in good condition, and accuracy have not really drop off.

I am just concern about how abrasive sweet maybe for the rifle, hopefully its not as bad as some says on the reviews, as long I follow the directions.

Assuming if I do use sweet I would definitely have to shoot more rounds than a few fowling shots to get back to some level of copper equilibrium in the bore.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cica_trix View Post
    I finally got a bottle of sweet 7.62. I am still on the fence of actually using Sweet on my fcp-sr. The rifle have about 900 rounds through it, but I feel like it is still in good condition, and accuracy have not really drop off.

I am just concern about how abrasive sweet maybe for the rifle, hopefully its not as bad as some says on the reviews, as long I follow the directions.

Assuming if I do use sweet I would definitely have to shoot more rounds than a few fowling shots to get back to some level of copper equilibrium in the bore.
    That is exactly why you only copper clean when necesary. Definitely use a bore guide with sweets and a mop for the chamber afterward

Bill

I use boretech eliminator as my regular bore cleaner. Gets the carbon and copper too. Not harsh at.all.

Check some reviews on the stuff. It works.

I have sweets and have.used it for badly copper fouled rifles. It will certainly get the copper. When you open it up you will know it is ammonia. Make sure you get it off everything when you are finished and swab the barrel with a less harsh bore cleaner and run an oiled patch after that.

Basic Member
    Wipe-out or Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Both work the same. One is easier to find and cheaper. I have over 1200 rounds through my fcp-sr in 260 rem. Have used gunslick less than 6 times still is a .5" shooter. I do use a lot of hoppies thou just for carbon and I have never used a brush. Always a good jag.

cica_trix
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    Wipe-out or Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Both work the same. One is easier to find and cheaper. I have over 1200 rounds through my fcp-sr in 260 rem. Have used gunslick less than 6 times still is a .5" shooter. I do use a lot of hoppies thou just for carbon and I have never used a brush. Always a good jag.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Might try out Gunslick sometime. How often do you run a hoppe 9? Just run a few wet patches then follow up with dry ones?

Basic Member
    For me I use hoppes a lot. I mean like when I know I might be putting the rifle away for a while or before I head to the range. Before I ever shoot the rifle I ALWAYS run dry patches threw the bore to remove all the cleaning residue possible. But that's just me. Who knows, it could all be a waste of time?