Thread: Anyone with 300 whisper experience?

Basic Member

Anyone with 300 whisper experience?

Has anyone ever built a 300 whisper or 300/221 on a savage bolt gun? If so which route did you go with getting the barrel chambered? Any input would be appreciated.

sinman

Re: Anyone with 300 whisper experience?

I have chambered them and hitman49 is using them. here is a link to his rifle http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,23539.0.html

snipecatcher

Mine is an 18" Shilen varmint contour, threaded 1/2x28, and ordered through Northlander. I don't think you can go wrong ordering through him or Sinman. It ended up being much cheaper than just ordering straight through Shilen.

hitman49

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    I have chambered them and hitman49 is using them. here is a link to his rifle http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,23539.0.html
    Yep and they shoot great. The one thing I wish I could change is the twist rate. Get the 1/8 if you want to shoot the heavy subs. The 1/10 just cant stabilize them. Sinman is the man to talk to about getting one. He can get the blanks in 1/8 and does a great job chambering them

Team Savage

Quite a few over at arfcom, although via ar15.

Got one and really like it. Killed a deer with mine last year using high velocity loads with a 125grn Nosler. 20" varmint contour barrel. Mine feeds perfectly with no mods....used a 223 Stevens to do the build.

It'll match 30/30 ballistics with a lot less powder and recoil.

hitman49

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    Quite a few over at arfcom, although via ar15.
    It is a lot easier to get a bolt gun to stay reliable with the whisper than it is an AR. I have 2 AR rifle uppers and 1 pistol upper in this caliber and to get them work properly takes some tweaking. A bolt gun setup is easier for someone who does not know a lot about or does not like the AR platform. A good place to learn about the 300 whisper is at the quarterbore forums. They have a board for building the rifle and for loading for it. Those boards helped me out a lot when I started messing with the whisper.

Basic Member

I thought about going the AR route but I have a thing for bolt guns and prefer shooting them over the AR so I am going to rebarrel one of my savage actions.

learjet

ive got a strange longing for a 300 WHISPER built on a striker. should just use a stevens, but cant shake the big, quiet pistol idea

lear

hitman49

I am thinking about one in a sporter weight for a rifle to carry through the brush. All the ones I have now are heavy barrels. Going to have to buy another stevens rifle for the donor action I guess. Then have to shell out for sinman to make me another barrel.

Rob Rat

Lighting the fire on a 300/221 project (two 300/221's actually- -one on a Savage Bolt action, the other an AR upper). Just bought two 20" 1-8 blanks from McGowen, and plan on using the same reamer for both. My plan is to eventually send the finished barrels to YHM and get them to add their flash hider/suppressor mount, and have them share a suppressor.

zedsdead

What kind of velocity is this round capable of with 168/180 grain bullets out of a 22in. barrel?

hitman49

1700-1900 FPS depending on what load you use. To use as a supersonic gun you really need to load the 125-150 gr bullets. Those make great deer hunting rounds. Most people use the whisper as a sub-sonic gun because of how quiet it can be with a can. I don't have a can and I load all of mine to supersonic with 125-165 gr bullets to use for whitetail hunting.

Basic Member

Well my barrel is on order from Sinman as we speak. The money is in the mail to him. I am going to have take my 204 ruger barrel off my model 12 action so I can screw it on and shoot it. Or sell something else and buy another action. ;D

hitman49

Keep the 204 barrel so you can switch it out when you want to shoot a little farther. If you want to go into another wildcat you could always have sinman rechamber it for 20 tactical or 20 practical.

Basic Member

If I want to shoot a little farther I will pull out the 223 7twist and let the 80gr sierras and noslers fly.

hitman49

Guess I just like the wildcats too much. If you got something that fits that roll I would sell the 204 barrel to get some of the funds back that the new barrel cost. The whisper can get expensive if you aren't making your own brass.

Basic Member

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind selling the 204 ruger barrel and dies but it shoots too damn good to just pull off and sell. I have it shooting 5 shot groups in the .25-.3" range.

hunter2

Check out www.quarterbore.net A lot of info on the 300 whisper. The 125 nbt's are great for deer. With a can it is a hoot to shoot. I anneal my brass after forming and have some with 20 rounds through them. Just trim to the right length. Some are 1.4 and 1.355. Try some 180 speer btsp backwards. Great coyote load...

Basic Member

Whats been a preferred barrel length for the supersonic loads? Saw SSS's recommendation of 16" for the 300 whisper, but assumed it may have been more for the sub-sonics than super-sonic loadings. Or is that fast-burning powder getting consumed quickly no matter the loading?

SDC
    "Dum spiro, spero" - While I breathe, I hope.

hitman49

16 in is about as good as it gets. Your using pistol powder so it burns fast and anything over 16 in you will be losing FPS

Basic Member

I have never done a 300 Whisper but what I have done is a Savage chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev. It uses .308 bullets it just doesn't have the case capacity the Whisper does. The biggest reason I chose the Tokarev is because I can buy and shoot CHEAP surplus in a pinch. Another plus was that dies were way cheaper and I could buy brass cheap or just buy off the shelf ammo to reload. Most of my loadings were with heavy loads at subsonic levels but I could load lighter stuff to amazing levels. One load was a 110 grain varmint bullet at over 1700 FPS, it was MOA accurate.

This project really shined once I started developing loads using heavier stuff. Using certain powders and heavy bullets I was able to work up a load that was as quiet as a subsonic 22 lr out of a 10/22 but still have energy levels above a 357 magnum. I loaded some 180 grainers that were 1/2 MOA and very quiet with no muzzle flash when fired at night.

Here are a few pictures of the rounds in case someone missed my post from a few months ago.
    Here is a 168grain SMK loading compared to a 45 ACP when I was still using surplus cases:
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/S5000149.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/S5000151.jpg[/img]

Here are a few threads detailing the build:
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg178031
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg170179
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=285746
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=279046

If you have any questions just ask.
    Dolomite