Thread: .280AI or 7-08 for Alaska?

Basic Member

.280AI or 7-08 for Alaska?

Hey all,

I'm in a heck of a mental pickle... I got an invite from a friend to go hunting for Sitka Blacktail deer and Dall Sheep on Kodiak Island this fall... Right now I have two workable rifles for this... a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in 7-08, and a Remington 700 in .280AI. The Savage has a 2.5-8x36 Leupold VX3 on it, and the Remington has a 4.5-14x40 Leupold VX3 on it. Both are sub MOA rifles with Barnes bullets (140gr tsx in the 7-08, 150ttsx in the .280ai). There are two deciding factors:

-Weight: the .280 is coming in at 8.5lb... the 7-08 at 6lb.

-Terrain: possible short shots in the dense woods, but above the treeline, alpine shooting... 300 yards easy.

-Scopes: I have the 7-08 setup for Oregon hunting (short range, walking/shooting) and I don't want to play musical scopes and rings...

What are your thoughts/advice/experiences on this setup or this hunting? Thanks!

--SRS

Given the fact that you are going to Alaska with the possibility of running into critters bigger and meaner than you intend on hunting I would take the .280AI with the ability to dump as much energy as possible if needed. I would also look into shooting something along the lines of a 168 class bullet and practice out to 600 yards at a minimum. Your 150 will probably work fine but the extra energy, less wind drift and the possibilty of a longer than average shot makes a good argument for a heavier bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Given the fact that you are going to Alaska with the possibility of running into critters bigger and meaner than you intend on hunting I would take the .280AI with the ability to dump as much energy as possible if needed. I would also look into shooting something along the lines of a 168 class bullet and practice out to 600 yards at a minimum. Your 150 will probably work fine but the extra energy, less wind drift and the possibilty of a longer than average shot makes a good argument for a heavier bullet.
    What he said! Its sound advice....
    They call it Kodiak Island for a reason, not really a place to be undergunned.
    Good luck on your hunt!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member

.280AI or 7-08 for Alaska?

7-08 is plenty for either specie. Wouldn't get too wrapped up in bear defense scenarios and the best caliber for such or 600 yard shots. Studies say pepper spray is the best bear deterrent and from personal experience I believe it. If it were me, I'd opt for the lighter rig.

Have fun! Visiting Kodiak is a great experience.

Team Savage
    Adult diapers,
    Last edited by drybean; 05-04-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Basic Member
    Me too, I'd go for the 7-08. Those Barnes TSX's will out penetrate any 168gr lead core out there. Neither is a bear STOPPER but either one is a bear killer, if need be, but you are not hunting bear.

Maybe the friend will carry a 45-70 as a back up gun and you can trade off with the hunting gun.

Basic Member
    Both cartridges are more tan capable given the right projectile. I suggest the hornady line. Knowing velocity would help because each line is designed to expand at different impact velocities.
    And the 162 grain hornady pills will stabilize in a 9 twist,they do in mine anyway.
    Spunds like a great trip. If you aren't a reloader I suggest having what you need before going. Many smaller markets may not have what you need so I'd stock up prior to leaving.
    Enjoy the trip.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    Maybe the friend will carry a 45-70 as a back up gun and you can trade off with the hunting gun.
    Screw that, bring a bazooka for backup.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    If you're going to have to carry your gear over hill and dale, I would opt for the lighter rifle. I would practice shooting out to at 500 yards and take a reliable laser range finder.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I'd opt for the lighter rifle any day.....gonna be a lot of walkin'.....The 280AI isn't going to get the job done any better.

Basic Member
    I lived in Canmore Alberta for a few years. Ran into a few silver tip Grizzlies during that time. Bear spray is you're best friend in any condition where the bear is aware of you and hungry.
    Had a momma and her cubs in my backyard one spring. We had a huge BBQ the night before. They dug all the ash out of my fire pit and made it about a foot wider and a couple of feet deeper. I watched them off my deck while I had my morning coffee.
    As far as gun goes either is fine.

Basic Member
    Never hunted AK, had one opportunity that fell through. If I were going for the species you are going after, I would take the 7-08, unless you WANT to be even more tired when you finally work your way through brush and onto the top of the ridge.

My experience is WATCHING AK hunts , but looking at the terrain on the Alaska the last frontier TV show, it seems like you could encounter a shot from point blank to several hundred yards. Personally I don't think you have enough time to "get real good" on 600yd shots, by this fall. There are tons of factors that come into play, and wind is the biggest. I HAVE hunted mountains, and I can tell you that on long shots, the wind can actually change 10-30 knots from your position to the target, as well as direction, at 600yds. Knowing the TSX's best opening velocity is somewhere around the 2100fps mark, I'd keep shots at 300 or less anyway.

With the 140gr bullet, the 280 will not give even 100yds more range, keeping to the 2100fps threshold. Now if you were using 160+ the 280 would have a slight advantage there.

Save the weight and your back.

Good luck.

Basic Member
    Hey all,

Quick update... I shot the 280AI remington, and it didn't group worth beans... so I sold it, turned around and bought a Kimber Montana in 280AI. Man, does that thing shoot! And it is 6LB loaded with sling and scope. I got a good load with 160gr accubonds over RL22 for an average velocity of 2977 for a 5 shot string. If you keep the barrel cool (3 shot groups) it will put all 5 into a .75" group at 100 yards. Adios Remington, hello Kimber. In addition, the Kimber is stainless and kevlar stock... so a bit more built for Alaska. It looks like that will be the winning combo this fall! Now, for my deer rifle this fall... should I use the 7-08, or keep a promise to an old friend of mine who can no longer hunt to use his 1905 winchester 30-30? Thoughts?

--David

Basic Member
    You made a wise choice for the Alaska trip, I have faith you will make another regarding how you handle your fall hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    You made a wise choice for the Alaska trip, I have faith you will make another regarding how you handle your fall hunt.
    Well put Mr. Buck
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The way you posed your last question, I believe you already knew the answer. Just needed a vote of confidence.

Basic Member
    Yea rifles come and go. Old friends are worth much more than rifles. Hope the biggest trophy falls to the 30-30. Your friend will remember that till his dying day.