Thread: Target Action (single shot) & Stock Fitment Questions

Basic Member

Target Action (single shot) & Stock Fitment Questions

I have a Precision Target Action (single shot) that I wish to install in a stock. From a previous thread, I am OK with using a stock that has an opening for a magazine. My question is since there will be no mag (it is a single shot action), what covers up the mag hole? Do I need another trigger guard? A trigger guard with hinged floorplate, even though there is nothing behind it? I would prefer a stock using a blind mag with no opening on the bottom, but can't find any, for hopefully no more than $500.

Thank you.

Phil

Basic Member
    Here is a link to Stocky's Stocks with several that will fit your action: https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-...-magazine.html Two are less than $500 and one a little more. All are for blind magazines. I just bought a B&C Medalist Style 5 for a similarly sized action with 4.4" spacing.

LongRange
    Spend the extra few bucks a get the bell Carlson A5 blind mag stock...you can add the center pillar later and bed it or just shoot as is.

Basic Member
    That's what I plan to do with mine when it gets here.

Basic Member
    Thanks for your reply. I checked your link.

The B&C Tactical Medalist Style 5 is a fully adjustable stock based of the other listed B&C Tactical Medalist Style 2 stock. I have the latter, used with a Howa short action. It dropped in, but the screw holes were not aligned with the action forcing some fitting. It looked OK, but I noted that the rear action tang was hard against the stock recess. That seemed suspect and found that the integral recoil lug on the flat bottom Howa receiver was a good 1/8" away from the mating surface of the B&S aluminum bedding block. The rear tang would have absorbed all the recoil. I shipped the gun off to a gunsmith, had him fix it, and bed the action. B&C does not impress and already have one anyway.

The link also has the Bobby Hart Long Range Target laminate stocks. Not bad, and I can paint it to not have the laminate look (not my thing). This stock has a void for the blind mag (no 3rd screw here unless I fill in the area), no aluminum bedding block, so would have to be bedded (and painted). With shipping and stock cost, I am pushing $500. Pretty much the same with Long Range Varmint.

The McMillans, on StockysStocks only show Remington actions for some reason, but the McMillan site makes clear they can make exactly what I want, including something with the target action. But, it will be somewhere around $800+. Ouch! Still, it would be exactly what I want. I was not aware they would custom build to the extent they do. Thanks for pointing out these stocks.

But it all does make me take another look at the stock that the Long Range Precision Varminter uses. That is a H-S Precision model PSV106. Has an aluminum bedding block, no void for a mag (I think), is synthetic, uses all 3 action screws, and is on sale for $330. I just wish it looked more like a McMillan A-5 and had the vertical grip. I have considered a chassis, and really liked the XLR Element, but XLR told me the only chassis that is designed for the Savage target Action is the Evolution chassis, which is not a design I much like. That chassis, for the Savage Target Action does not have a mag well.

I think it is going to be the H-S Precision PSV106 or I spend the bucks on what I really like, such as the McMillan, or something similar from Manners, etc. I have to decided if this rifle will be a budget 6mmBR target gun, or something higher end. Interesting the stock cost may turn out to be the biggest single cost of all!

Thanks again.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    Here is a link to Stocky's Stocks with several that will fit your action: https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-...-magazine.html Two are less than $500 and one a little more. All are for blind magazines. I just bought a B&C Medalist Style 5 for a similarly sized action with 4.4" spacing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
    ......... snip............. or I spend the bucks on what I really like, such as the McMillan, or something similar from Manners, etc. I have to decided if this rifle will be a budget 6mmBR target gun, or something higher end. Interesting the stock cost may turn out to be the biggest single cost of all!

Thanks again.

Phil
    Last year I built two F Class guns, a .223 F/TR based on a Savage target action in a McMillan F-Class stock (without mag well) and a 6mm BR based on a Savage 12 action in a Boyd's stock. I went ahead and took advantage of the magazine for the 6mm BR, but if I wanted use a target action I would have simply filled the mag well and purchased or fabricated some kind of bottom metal to cover the scar, unless I were going to paint the stock in which case it wouldn't be a problem.

I can tell you one thing for sure. The McMillan stock is in NO WAY worth six times the Boyd's unless you wanted to use it for a club or pry bar. I'd go with a Boyd's and deal with the mag well problem one way or another for either a high end build or a budget build.

Basic Member
    I think the Bob Hart stock is one of Bill Shehene's line. He has others also like the tracker.

Basic Member
    Phil: I will let you know how the Medalist 5 fits my action when it arrives later today. I also have an LRPV that uses the HS Precision stock you listed. Yes, it does use all three action screws and there is no magazine cutout. I currently have the action I am going to be using in the Medalist 5 in that stock and it fits fine as well. The LRPV action is in a custom stock I had built last year and that same builder is going to modify the Medalist 5 for me to fill the magazine area, add a center pillar, open the barrel channel as needed, and bed the action.

Good luck with your search.

Basic Member
    If you really want a good bedding surface you can fill the magazine recess with quicksteel and then either drill through it and add a pillar for the third hole or just bed over the quick steel. I did this with a BVSS stock and it worked perfectly.