Thread: Load data help for Reloader 15 with 178 Amax, 175 SMK on Savage 10 FCP-SR

cica_trix

Load data help for Reloader 15 with 178 Amax, 175 SMK on Savage 10 FCP-SR

Hi Everyone,
    I just got my first few bottles of reloader 15. I was wonder if anyone could give me some recommendation on some load data on the following bullets, 178 AMAX, and the 175 SMK. I have a Savage 10 FCP SR in a 20 in barrel, and 1 -10 twist. I loaded my first 20 rounds yesterdays and to my surprise I did not get much good results, and my SD were higher then the control group loads of 168 gr Amax loaded with IMR 4064.

On my IMR 4064 loads I was getting a S-R of 10, and with the re loader 15 I was getting 30! my best SD with reloadet 15 was 21.6 on the 175 SMK loads.
    Anyway I plan to do a retest when I get the time, maybe I was just have a bad day :)

I have the hornady reloading manual and my max load was with 42 grains of 178 AMAX, even though the manual max load states it should be around 41.4 gr , getting around 2490 ft/s. My OAL was around 2.8 in.

So any load recommendation would be much appreciated :) , and also should I go higher then what the manual states? With my 42 gr of RL -15 I was not getting any pressure signs.

Thank you

Basic Member
    Just a suggestion but if you don't have a chronograph, your missing valuable information for reloading. Not that its 100% required, but knowing your fps coming out of your barrel will help allot. Unless you have the exact barrel that the reloading book used (usually a 24 inch barrel with a particular twist) you will not match what is in the manual. Helped me tremendously. I would get a commercial load of what I want to reload to help me get where I want, provided it shot real good.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

4064 is a great powder as is R15. What are you using to weigh powder with?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I'm guessing a 308?? Go to Alliants' web page for the reloading data.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

cica_trix
    Sorry I forgot to to mention that it is for the 308. I am using the Hornady electronic Scale. I plan to redo some reload to test the reloader 15 again for the weekend.

I do have some 4064 and they work great on the 168 grains. However I got a few pounds of RL15 and 175 and 178 gr bullets so I would like to find a load that works.

@bearcatrp thanks for tip. I have just gotten a choreograph also, so that is how I have been measuring my ft/s also.

Still looking for any recommendation on load data with the Reloader 15 . Thanks! :)

LongRange
    Here's the best advise you can get...shoot an OCW test...follow it to a T and you will find a load...read the instructions and if you have questions ask and we will try and answer them...this is the fastest way to find a load for your rifle...

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ons/4529817134

I use 41.5 IMR 4064 behind 175 SMKs going 2700fps @ 3800ft elev. ( your outcome may be different)
    Its a 10 FCP-K model which is almost identical to yours 24" 1-10.
    I really wasn't getting consistent accuracy from the 178 a-max,s. I tried Rl-15, Varget, Tac, 4064 all with different seating depths. I chased the accuracy for a while but the a-max,s just didn't work for me.
    Whens it windy such like it is now in the great southwestern part of Texas Ill use this rig. The only thing I changed out on mine was the stock. I installed a Choate Tactical and will admit I like it better than my HS precision. For what it is?......I can hit 4" clay,s at 1K.
    IMO, just cant go wrong with 4064 and 175 smks
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 04-21-2016 at 11:49 PM.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

I'm going to suggest a different scale to reduce your spreads. A quality beam is cheap. A Scott Parker tuned scale is cheap also. Keep the base from moving and you will get very accurate powder measures. I would always have "flyers" with my less precision electronic scales. And I have tested the rcbs extensively. 4 out of five are very close. It was the 5th one that hurt my group.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

LongRange
    good call Mr.Hood...i had a hornady digital for about 15 minutes.

another good call Eddie...i shot 800 hornady 140g BTHP match bullets...at least a 100 Amaxes both 140g and 123g...the 123s shot pretty well but none of them would shoot consistently well through 3-4 barrels.

to the OP...try the 178s with an OCW test and if you dont get at least 2 tight groups or the groups are bigger than 1.5 inches id suggest you stick to the SMKs...this is assuming you are a pretty good trigger man and can shoot small groups...

to give you an idea of what your looking for...this is one of the last OCW tests i shot...

now this is when you know your barrel likes the combo you have put together....this test was shot by a very good shooter(not me)...all 4 round groups with 8 different powder charges...

cica_trix
    Thanks for the advise Gents.

@Longrange Thanks for the ref pictures.I will take sometime to learn the OWC method and try it sometime soon.

@Robinhood I have to agree, I might need to get a new scale. I just spent a decent $ on reloading supply so I have been hesitant to get a new scale, when this scale itself is less then 2 months old. I also change out my battery on the scale, but at the of the day, the scale just might be too flimsy and not getting precise reading on all charges.

@Eddie Impressive results with the clays! I hope I can get there one day. I agree 4064 is great. I also was getting good results(~.5 moa @ 100 yards) with the 4064 (41.5 grain) with the 168 grain amax before. I just happend to have more RL-15 on hand right now so hoping I can find a load with the RL-15 and the 175-178 grain bullets.

I did load up some more 178 AMAX last night and hope to test it out this weekend. Another thing that I did this time was increase the OAL length, I hope it is not too long. I was getting about 2.885 to the lands (first time trying to figure out the lands, so I am a little concern) so I seated the bullets to 2.87 OAL with the 178 gr Amax.

cica_trix
    I am using the Hornady electronic Scale. I understand this is not the best option but this is what I have got so far. Anyway I was wondering why I seem to be constantly getting better standard deviation with IMR 4064 than with RL-15.

With IMR 4064 I constantly get reloads with a S-D of ~10, and with the RL-15 the SD is about 20, sometime 25-30!.

I though that IMR 4064 doesnt meter well, and RL-15 meter better than IMR 4064. Just wondering what is going on here.

Thank you! :)

Basic Member
    Every barrel seems to like one powder or bullet than another. Weird. That why you try different powders and bullets that best works for your rifle. I was using 4064 in my 10T 308 until I tried varget. Big difference. Now 4064 is my backup powder if i ever have no option. I buy varget every chance I can so I don't run out. My 24 inch barrel likes a slower burning powder like varget. Yours being a 20 inch, every try 8208 XBR? Its a faster burning powder that may work for you. I use it in my 12.5 inch 308 AR with 168 A-Max. Works.

cica_trix
    @ Longrange, I also did my first OCW test with 168 AMAX w' RL 15, I am going to have to do it again sometime soon, but I did get a better idea about this test how to to interpret this datas. The reason for the retest was after my sighter rounds hit my point of aim but my point of impact starts to drop significantly lower (3-4 in) as I increase in powder charge by 1% each steps. Hitting off my paper. Next time start my sighter with my 1st group charge weight and have longer target.

@bearcatrp, thanks for the advice. I will look into 8208 XBR once I ran out of 3 more pounds of RL-15. haha I bulk bought them online to save some money.

I am curious to how the barrel length and burn rates plays in the precision equation. I got RL-15 due to the slower burn rate, thinking that it would be better then 4064 on my 168-178 grain bullets. I thought heavier bullets like slower burn powders. I am always looking to learn new information so please feel free to give more advice or reading recommendations :D

The below targets worked for me. You should be close with RL15, Start low (41.5) and work up in .3 increments. The smk's like to kiss the lands a little to being off about .010. The Berger VLD's like to be in the lands a little. But try them anywhere from .010 in all the way out to .080. Surprisingly I had 2 barrels that were tac drivers with the bullets being off the lands .050. Both of the barrels were custom throated for me.

Hope this helps, I have used RL15 a pretty good bit with my 308's.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

FWIW, I think I was shooting a light load of Varget, around 42.5 when I shot groups all day long with 168 A-Max's

[IMG][/IMG]
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Nice shooting to both of you. One thing to mention, the A-Max do not like being close to the lands like the match rounds do. My OAL of 2.800 works just fine. When I started loading the 178 ELD-X, i asked hornady for there thoughts. Was told to load like the A-MAX. Shoot great with 2.800.

cica_trix
    Thanks for the tip on lands for the AMAX I will try it out. Just off topic question, Do you guys all use a rear bag for your shootings? I have mainly beeing using the caldwell tackdriver front rest only.

LongRange
    i always shoot prone off a bipod and rear bag for load development to take me out of the equation...you should shoot your load development like you plan to shoot your rifle.