Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck turning tool

Neck turning tool

Curious

Which neck turning tool has worked well for you guys?
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Forster.
    Last edited by wbm; 04-26-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Neck turning tool

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

LongRange
    i use all K&M but if i was you id take a look at the PMA tools...i like how the mandrel moves to adjust the cut depth on the neck instead of the blade...the 21st century is a nice tool as well because the the mandrel moves up and down with a micro meter adjustment for the cut depth into the shoulder...the forster has a wider blade which is supposed to make a cleaner cut but ive had no issues with the thinner blade in my K&M.

make sure you buy as a kit with the expander,blade,mandrel and the power adapter...all the tools are nice just pick one with the features you like...and just so you know the bodies of these tools are small...the K&M has a ergo adaptor and if you get the K&M id suggest you get it...the PMA tool is a little bigger.

I have Forster, Hornady hand, and there new one too.

Sent from my iPhone6 using Tapatalk
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thnks guys!
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I've only used my K&M and am very happy with it. There are a couple up on eBay right now at a good price. Not complete kit, but the parts that are not included are easy to find and it let's you choose exactly what you want.

Seeing as how Ive been working for Ford motor company for 40 years as a cert. tech. theres plenty of specialized tooling that's left overs from years past. I made a neck turner from old tooling that was used to over haul variable Ventury carburetors back in the early 80s. it could only be used on 308 brass but what the heck it worked great till I lost the darn thing.
    Time to give in and buy a real one.
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I use 21st Century. Not inexpensive but works well.
    http://www.xxicsi.com/17-338-cal.-ne...ing-lathe.html

thnks
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey7271 View Post
    I use 21st Century. Not inexpensive but works well.
    http://www.xxicsi.com/17-338-cal.-ne...ing-lathe.html
    Correct. Cry once but enjoy this tool for a long time, both the cutter head and the lathe. I really like mine.

Only thing I don't like about my K&M is that it's a pain in the rear trying to get the mandrel depth set just right.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

LongRange
    MF do you have the pilot jack? it makes it a lot easier to adjust.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Only thing I don't like about my K&M is that it's a pain in the rear trying to get the mandrel depth set just right.
    Agree. I will be buying the pilot jack.

I run mine in a drill press, so I might get the oversize handle too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nope, never heard of it either. Then again, I've only used it twice in the 10-11 years I've had it, and the second time was just this past fall. I'll have to look into the pilot jack.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    It is also important to get a cutter with the correct shoulder angle on the cutter, look at the photos in the link below and look at the case shoulders. When the cutter angle matches the case shoulder angle you will not cut too deeply at the neck/shoulder junction.

Neck-Turning Tool Cutting Tips
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...-cutting-tips/

Basic Member
    Long Range-

I have the K&M setup. I also have the pilot jack, but nowhere can i find instructions on how it works. Can you enlighten this stupid head?

how many of you guys ream the inside of the case along with outer neck cutting
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    Long Range-

I have the K&M setup. I also have the pilot jack, but nowhere can i find instructions on how it works. Can you enlighten this stupid head?
    the pilot jack clamps to the bottom of the tool...the thumb screw thats on the pilot jack goes directly under the mandrel on the tool...you loosen the mandrel screw on the tool and set the shoulder cut depth with the thumb screw on the jack then tighten the mandrel screw on the tool and turn a case and then adjust as needed.

its best to use some old brass to set the tool up with so your not ruining new brass...after you play with it a little its pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    how many of you guys ream the inside of the case along with outer neck cutting
    one or the other not both...the expander pushes imperfections to the outside of the neck and the tool cuts/cleans off the imperfections...brass that already has doughnuts may need to be turned twice but i have never had to...one time did the trick...the biggest thing is getting the cut into the shoulder depth right...to deep and youll blow a neck off the case not deep enough and you will most likely have to turn them twice.

not a great pic but the necks should look like this...the little step on the outside blows to the inside of the neck when fired...

LongRange
    these are necks that were turned and fired one time...you can see the darker colored ring at the neck shoulder junction...thats where the cut into the shoulder was and if you look inside the neck youll see the little step on the inside now...

Personally the PMA model A is the best turner built in my opinion. It isn't cheap but it is micro adjustable and repeatable.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Just be sure to take your time... A bunch of Lapua brass with necks that are cut too thin is not what you want...

I've always thought Lapua should send a couple extra pieces for folks like me that tend to fudge one or two up getting going.. haha..

Basic Member
    I use the K&M tool, which works well, but as mentioned setting the depth can be a multi-try event. I didn't know about the pilot jack, I'll be looking that up. I like the design of the 21 Century tool because it has a fine adjustment knob to do the final depth adjustment - but in saying that I also have to say I don't own a 21 Century turner. I appreciate that one small design difference they have from the K&M turner.

I also purchased the K&M case holder to chuck up in my drill. It didn't feel like it was centering the case real well when I was turning, so I purchased a Sinclair case holder to chuck up in the drill. The Sinclair case holder is a much nicer chuck. Both work, the Sinclair has just worked better for me.

Off I go to look at this pilot jack....

Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    Just be sure to take your time... A bunch of Lapua brass with necks that are cut too thin is not what you want...

I've always thought Lapua should send a couple extra pieces for folks like me that tend to fudge one or two up getting going.. haha..
    Lolo. Did the same thing with LC Brass when I made a neck turning tool out of old Ford specialized tooling to overhaul carbs back in the 80,s. I mucked up several pieces before I got it cutting straight and true. I really fudged those sucker s. Worked great till I lost the darn thing. I needed to purchase a real one anyway.
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 04-29-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Borrowed my shooting buddies RCBS neck turner. Works great. Piece of cake. Ordered one with all the pilots I need.
    No way I'm doing this by hand. I'll use my Lee shell case holder

https://youtu.be/sf1ivMI3dCE
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 04-29-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast