Thread: 338 Lapua- Final Results

Basic Member

338 Lapua- Final Results

Let me start by saying I had several pics of targets and what not to post but every time I went to photobucket and then back to savageshooters it would delete my entire webpage. So I chose one pic, the rifle.
    Several members on here have been very helpful in my quest to make my 338 LM a truly reliable and accurate rifle. Several members asked for final results and I wanted to take this time to share those now that I've finished my load testing.

In a brief note. My factory barrel of my 110 BA was throwing the first rounds/round. Like 1-1.5 moa off, then would shoot great. But for a LR hunting rifle this isn't acceptable. Several months ago my smith installed a 30" Shilen Select Match barrel nutless to my 110 BA action.

Load Testing:

Lapua Brass- Annealed every firing (trimmed to 2.715")
    Bullet- 300 SMK
    Primer- CCI 250
    Powder- Reloader 33

I ran several groups at .010" off the lands. Later moving out to .020" off with better results. I also switched to CCI Primers. Between the two switches that cured my "fliers" that would show 50-60 fps spread in a 3 shot group.

My main load testing was 500 yards. I had best results with 95.5 gr of RE 33 so I retested yesterday at .015"/.020"/.025" off the lands. Was very pleased with my results.

3 Shot Groups- 500 Yards

.015" off-
    1.5" (.30 moa)- Speed 2793/2785/2801

.020" off-
    1.62" (.32 moa) - Speed 2733/2743/2755

.025" off-
    2.25" (.45 moa)- Speed 2763/2749/2769

Looks like 95.5 gr at .015" off will be the winner. Was about 50 degrees at time of shooting. Pretty average temp for the shooting season here

Will post a pic of the best group below in another post as I can't add to this one

Thank you to all who helped. Especially "longrange" as his advice probably saved me a lot of headaches

Basic Member

LongRange
    glad to see you got it shooting...if it were me....id shoot two more groups though just to make sure i wasnt missing a magical seating depth... .015 is most likely IT especially with a 16fps ES...BUT...OCD as i am id try .030 and .035 or at least .035 off and if groups didnt tighten up id call it done...i honestly doubt its going to get better so you may want to call it done....my mind just dont work like that LOL!!

nice shooting hafe!!

Basic Member
    If those 3 shots were from 500 yds, id personaly be very happy.
    That more than good, its excellent.

Basic Member
    Thank you both LR and yobuck. I will Proly call it good as I have spent a lot of time already on this project. Must move on to my suppressor on my 260.

LongRange
    no you wont...ive already planted the seed and youll be thinking about it until you get a chance to shoot it LOL!!...as i said i doubt its going to get much better but...ME personally...id have to know.

Can't imagine pulling the trigger on 95.5 gs of powder!
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Combining the weight of the rifle 20+ lbs and the brake it's not bad. I do have a bruise from the recoil but that's after 30+ rounds. When you load the bipod properly you can actually watch the bullet impact at 500 yds

Glad to see you got it shooting, Good looking rig.
    NRA Life member since 1980, NAHC Life Member
    NAFC Life Member and a fair shot.

Basic Member
    Thank you

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    Combining the weight of the rifle 20+ lbs and the brake it's not bad. I do have a bruise from the recoil but that's after 30+ rounds. When you load the bipod properly you can actually watch the bullet impact at 500 yds
    A bunch of wimps, just a bunch of young wimps. Come on down sometime and ill sit you behind 137 gr with the 300 gr bullet. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    A bunch of wimps, just a bunch of young wimps. Come on down sometime and ill sit you behind 137 gr with the 300 gr bullet. lol
    I'll bring a tampon in case I start to bleed lololol

This rifle is truly quite manageable. I love being able to see the bullet hit, this is obviously at further ranges tho. Or when the scope is backed off considerably. There's just something about watching that 300 gr bullet connect

Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    I'll bring a tampon in case I start to bleed lololol

This rifle is truly quite manageable. I love being able to see the bullet hit, this is obviously at further ranges tho. Or when the scope is backed off considerably. There's just something about watching that 300 gr bullet connect
    Couldn't agree with you more. Shooting heavy's is addictive. Watching one of my shooting buddies shoot his 50 cal Armalite Bolt gun out to just under 1500yds is a sight worth watching. Shooting it is even better. 675grs worth of democracy going just under 2800fps is just plain bad ass. Especially when he loads them up with spotter tracer insinderaries. you can see the flight of the projectile.
    Local GS has a 110-BA in 338 for a good price. To top it off..... I know the owner......says he,ll make me a deal...............awe gezzz.........
    Im trying hard to keep my goals on a suppressor for my 260 as well.
    Great shooting dude!
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. Shooting heavy's is addictive. Watching one of my shooting buddies shoot his 50 cal Armalite Bolt gun out to just under 1500yds is a sight worth watching. Shooting it is even better. 675grs worth of democracy going just under 2800fps is just plain bad ass. Especially when he loads them up with spotter tracer insinderaries. you can see the flight of the projectile.
    Local GS has a 110-BA in 338 for a good price. To top it off..... I know the owner......says he,ll make me a deal...............awe gezzz.........
    Im trying hard to keep my goals on a suppressor for my 260 as well.
    Great shooting dude!
    Haha, I bought my 110 ba and my suppressor. I decided it was one or the other. Now I have both. You'll see lol