Thread: Had a nice day....

Had a nice day....

Got out to the range Friday...first time Ive shot in a couple weeks 😲😲.
    I put together a 7mm mag....been putting it together for a while, had other "cooler" projects to mess with lol. I bought a used take off from the classifieds a pretty good while back for $35....
    Heres a few of my 2 shot groups just to see how it was gonna do.

Load was 140gr SierraGK seated .020 off with IMR4831. I loaded up in .5gr increments. Ill work up some a little higher next time out.

I also got my 280AI out...as I just put some new glass on it, and was messing witha couple of loads...and die settings.
    Heres a group I shot at 300

Here's a group I shot at 400

Ive still got plenty of work to do but those are my best groups at that distance with the 280AI. Shot those with 140gr Sierra GK and IMR4831 also.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Very nice, you should have quite the long range arsenal next time at Rockcastle. What about the 6.5x55?

LongRange
    nice groups!! i dont know how you guys with all those different calibers find the time to load for and shoot them.

Basic Member
    Nice Scooter. I like the 7mm Mag. Was my go to Elk rifle when I was able to hunt. Share pics of the rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i dont know how you guys with all those different calibers find the time to load for and shoot them.
    Live with mom or work your tail off and retire early. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Very nice, you should have quite the long range arsenal next time at Rockcastle. What about the 6.5x55?
    Thanks Rosco....I had my 280AI down there the other day, we just ran out of time to shoot it...Do you mean my 6mmx55? Im still waiting on my bolt....
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    nice groups!! i dont know how you guys with all those different calibers find the time to load for and shoot them.
    Thanks LR....ok...I have a question for you...Those 300 and 400yd groups were consecutive, aside from 1 shot. The 300yd group (3shots) 1 shot at 400 (adjusted my dope), then the 3shot group. I was shooting off a front rest and rear bag. This is where Im questioning my form...how do I go from left side on one to the right side on the next?
    Lol....Im not sure how to do it...thats probably the answer to my own question.....to much time messing with other guns and not sticking with one....

Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    Nice Scooter. I like the 7mm Mag. Was my go to Elk rifle when I was able to hunt. Share pics of the rifle?

Ive liked the 7mm Mag forever, not sure why, I just do. I had a win m70, that I could never get to shoot worth a darn. I sold it a couple years ago and wanted another one and found parts to put this one together. Ill snap a couple pics here in a bit, Ive gotta run down to the gun room shortly.

Live with mom or work your tail off and retire early. :)
    Mom probably doesn't want me back home lol and momma won't let me retire early.....so I'm just screwed 😂
    Scooter

LongRange
    several things can cause that...wind would be one but im betting its you laying on the rifle different from group to group(canting the rifle differently) or maybe a little flinch from the 7mm?...shooting off bags wont stop pulled shots,flinch,slapping the trigger ECT...next time you go out shoot the 280 first and when shooting REALLY pay attention to trigger pull and follow through and also if your doing something wrong or different from shot to shot...9 times outta 10 you can figure out what your doing if you really pay attention.

Thanks! It wasnt flinch from the 7 (I used my Lead Sled for just that reason on the 7). It wasnt the wind...it was just about completely calm. (Not much wind hits the way the range sits anyway). I was thinking maybe off the bags it wasnt recoiling consistently. I know (or at least am pretty sure its me) because it feels different. I can usually tell before I get back on target if its a decent shot, recoil feels right, my follow-thru feels right etc. It felt different on those groups Im just not exactly sure what it is. Im gonna shoot again Friday and Ill really pay attention.
    Scooter

Here's a couple pics of my 7

Its nothing fancy, but I like it.. especially with it looking like it gonna shoot pretty well.
    Flat back action
    Boyds prairie hunter (I think) in pepper laminate
    Factory take off barrel from the classifieds here
    EGW rail
    Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 scope
    Scooter

LongRange
    nice looking rifle!!

you have probable seen me post this but another good way to find shooting flaws is to video yourself when shooting....face shots are best that show your head and shoulders then you can watch in slow motion at home.

Thank you! I think it turned out pretty well.
    I may have to try that, I could use my gopro and have a pretty wide view and see what Im doing wrong.
    Thanks LR
    Scooter

Glad to see 4831 working for you. We'll done.

Thanks! Its working really for me at the moment lol. 3 of the rifles Im playing with now seem to like it quite well.
    Scooter

theres just something about making something work for you in which you didn't bust a hole in your wallet and having great results. Doesn't have to be fancy to be accurate.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    theres just something about making something work for you in which you didn't bust a hole in your wallet and having great results. Doesn't have to be fancy to be accurate.
    I agree! I was pretty excited about it. Itll be really good for it intended purpose....a deer rifle. Im gonna play with some loads but if it continues to shoot like that....Im done with it.
    Scooter