Thread: 10 FCP HS results after 1/8" removal at the muzzle

10 FCP HS results after 1/8" removal at the muzzle

My old and trusty FCP Model 10 with HS stock, 1-11.25 twist 5R 24" was showing its age. No longer a tack driver from days past. After extensive tries to redevelop loads,powders,depths,brass etc.... I knew she was done. I bore scoped it and to my eyes?.... It didn't look that bad, its got close to 2K worth of pills down the tube. I thought about setting the barrel back but before I did, I decided to not be Johnny fix all and have a gent By the name of John Wicker have a look. I figured a smith with over 65 years of experience can show me how its done.
    He scoped the barrel, and after a few m-m and aha,s he explained what was going on. Me being a cert. tech for the past 40 years was all ears. Sometimes its better to just shut up and listen. And I mean listen soul heartedly. We both agreed that the muzzle showed erosion but what caught me by surprise is that he was able to prove to me that the throat was fine. Sure it showed "some" erosion but it wasn't significant enuff to justify cutting and chambering after set back. that surprised me because I was running my rounds right at 2800 for the majority of the time.
    Without going into detail, he basically cut about as little as 1/8" off the muzzle, reset headspace, and installed a new muzzle break that he machines/makes himself out of stainless.
    I redeveloped a load using what Ive always used and BAM! I was surprised. I developed this load for it years ago when it was new.
    41.0 gr Varget 0.10 off the lands LC fire formed brass with god knows how many firings and simple 150gr SMK,s.
    Im glad she,s back. its a light load but Im good with that. The muzzle break he makes is without a dought stable. Eyes on target all the time. I can see my follow thru.

It was windy as Ill get, but I was determined to see how it would shoot and not wait for winds to calm down. I pulled one shot because the freken wind blew on my hat right when I pulled the trigger. 5 Shot Pattern at 100 yards. 80 dg wind gust from 10-15 mph. Luckily, the wind was to my back the majority of my load testing.
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 04-25-2016 at 12:24 AM.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Nice to be able to save her.

I agree rpb.
    I didn't think I would be able to save her so with that In mind I ordered a new x-caliber barrel but not in 308, I ordered one chambered in 260rem. Ill save it for my next build which will defently have a suppressor on it.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}