Thread: ANY Stock for Precision Target Action (4.40" Spacing)?

Basic Member

ANY Stock for Precision Target Action (4.40" Spacing)?

I have a Precision Target Action (RBLP) I want to use but am having no luck with stocks. I prefer a more vertical grip, so the stock LRPV H-S Precision stock (PSV106) is not my preference. A chassis is nice, since no bedding hassles but all are really designed for magazines, and most look a little weird without a mag. I wish there was something like the H-S Precision PSV106 with the aluminum bedding block that had a vertical grip. I really don't want to buy a mag style stock and then fill in the mag hole. Is there any such thing?

Phil

Basic Member
    You can easily run a Target Action (4.4) with any stock thats inlet for bottom metal by using the HFP bottom.
    I run a RBRP Target Action in a B&C M40 style with HFP bottom with no problems.
    I do not have a mag installed on the floorplate.
    INFERNO

get a thumbhole stock, SSS or Boyds
    newbie from gr, mi.

McMillan TPR
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. Call me a purist, but would rather not use a single shot action in a stock designed for a mag. This also prevents use of the 3rd screw (middle) in the action I believe. I know it can get by with just two screws, but seems like if Savage designed it with three, put the action in a stock that used all three (LRPV), then using 3 is probably a good idea. However, I will still consider this avenue. - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by clintsrv View Post
    You can easily run a Target Action (4.4) with any stock thats inlet for bottom metal by using the HFP bottom.
    I run a RBRP Target Action in a B&C M40 style with HFP bottom with no problems.
    I do not have a mag installed on the floorplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Call me a purist, but would rather not use a single shot action in a stock designed for a mag. This also prevents use of the 3rd screw (middle) in the action I believe. I know it can get by with just two screws, but seems like if Savage designed it with three, put the action in a stock that used all three (LRPV), then using 3 is probably a good idea. However, I will still consider this avenue. - Phil
    Robert Greenleaf - a retired engineer from Savage, avid benchrest shooter and frequent contributor to the now defunct Precision Shooting magazine did some testing with the 3-screw single-shot actions when they first came out and his results showed that the third screw offered no benefit what-so-ever. The third screw was essentially added at the marketing dept's request so they could use it as a selling point, and like most marketing hype it was just that - hype.

As far as using a stock that's been inlet for a blind magazine, it's not going to hurt anything or affect accuracy in any way. If the void bugs you, you can always glue in a piece of foam or a block of wood to fill the bulk of the space and then glass bed over it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thank you VERY much for this. This information definitely helps set aside fears of not using the 3rd screw. It seems then that I can use a stock with hinged floor plate so the opening for a mag is closed. Now, to see if I can find a reasonably affordable stock, that has an aluminum bedding block, with hinged floor plate, in tactical style. Again, thank you very much, I was about ready to order the original LRPV H-S Precision PSV106 stock, which is not really the style I wanted (i.e., Macmillan A-5).

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Robert Greenleaf - a retired engineer from Savage, avid benchrest shooter and frequent contributor to the now defunct Precision Shooting magazine did some testing with the 3-screw single-shot actions when they first came out and his results showed that the third screw offered no benefit what-so-ever. The third screw was essentially added at the marketing dept's request so they could use it as a selling point, and like most marketing hype it was just that - hype.

As far as using a stock that's been inlet for a blind magazine, it's not going to hurt anything or affect accuracy in any way. If the void bugs you, you can always glue in a piece of foam or a block of wood to fill the bulk of the space and then glass bed over it.

Basic Member
    Have you looked at the Savage stocks?