Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mmBR Build

Basic Member

6mmBR Build

This build began over a year ago when I started looking for a single shot action. I was finally able to find a rem 700 last November. Sent the action off to Southern Precision Rifles to be trued and ordered a Bartlein 6mmBR 28" 1-8" Bull barrel.

Finally gathered up most of the parts last week and begun initial assembly.

Worked the stock over to make sure that the barrel nut was free floated all the way to the face of the lug. Also relieved the stock adjacent to the action sides in preparation of bedding.

Will bed the action next week after delivery of some parts.

LongRange
    That's going to be a nice rifle!!!

i am very interested to see and hear how this goes with the whole remage build. Are you running the factory bolt and pin?

Very nice! Like the color! Keep us posted!

LR, I finished (well....I had finished) a remage build on a 6mmx55 swede. Its shooting lights out....for me anyway. Last group I measured was in the .3s.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    That's going to be a nice rifle!!!

i am very interested to see and hear how this goes with the whole remage build. Are you running the factory bolt and pin?
    Factory bolt and pin presently. May send off the bolt to Gre'Tan for bushing and light pin if I encounter any problems. Want to get some rounds downrange first to see how she goes. I had planned on not finishing this build before fall so that I could finish up my 223 rem and some further 20 Practical development.

In the wings I have another single action for a 6.5 x 47 Lapua that will probably be accurized by Gre'Tan including double sleeving the bolt this winter.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Very nice! Like the color! Keep us posted!

LR, I finished (well....I had finished) a remage build on a 6mmx55 swede. Its shooting lights out....for me anyway. Last group I measured was in the .3s.
    Scooter
    man that thing has got to be a barrel burner huh? what kinda speeds are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    Factory bolt and pin presently. May send off the bolt to Gre'Tan for bushing and light pin if I encounter any problems. Want to get some rounds downrange first to see how she goes. I had planned on not finishing this build before fall so that I could finish up my 223 rem and some further 20 Practical development.

In the wings I have another single action for a 6.5 x 47 Lapua that will probably be accurized by Gre'Tan including double sleeving the bolt this winter.
    Greg does great work..have you looked into just reaming the action to .705 and a PT&G bolt with a .062 pin? i know 2 guys that have done that and their actions run flawlessly. youll like the x47 very easy to load for and very accurate.

Basic Member
    That has to be a 40x action, not simply a 700. All 40xs are short with a solid bottom, even the magnum versions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    That has to be a 40x action, not simply a 700. All 40xs are short with a solid bottom, even the magnum versions.
    Gosh I don't really know that it is a 40x. It was advertised and bought as a model 700.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-actions/85325

Greg does great work..have you looked into just reaming the action to .705 and a PT&G bolt with a .062 pin? i know 2 guys that have done that and their actions run flawlessly. youll like the x47 very easy to load for and very accurate.
    I will do some thinking on reaming the action. Thanks for the tip. I will probably wait and see if I get "happy" or disappointed.
    Last edited by rbp75503; 04-23-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Basic Member
    Gosh I don't really know that it is a 40x. It was advertised and bought as a model 700.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-actions/85325

I will do some thinking on reaming the action. Thanks for the tip. I will probably wait and see if I get "happy" or disappointed.
    That's a new one on me, it must be a rather new addition. That's the first non 40x solid action ive seen.
    Its also a very good price for that type action.
    I was also mistaken when I said all 40xs were solid bottom actions, as they also made a magazine variety.

LongRange
    i think youll be happy just do your home work...id start with a stout load of RL-17 or H4350,CCI BR4s and 130g bergers either VLDs or hybrids.

Basic Member
    i think youll be happy just do your home work...id start with a stout load of RL-17 or H4350,CCI BR4s and 130g bergers either VLDs or hybrids.
    I think you mean 108gr or 115gr Bergers for the 6BR. Varget seems to be the ticket

LongRange
    I was talking about the 47...in the BR if it were me I'd stick to the 105s to take advantage of the velocities and I'd try some RL-15 as well as the varget.

Basic Member
    Here we go. Action and stock ready for release agent to be delivered. Action screw holes waxed with kiwi. Probably will mix up epoxy early in the morning.

LongRange
    wax that action one more time LOL...i only use one layer of tape on the bottom and sides of the lug and one on the from(muzzle end)and make sure the tape is cut clean with the edges and you wax the the tape and clay.

wax that action one more time LOL...i only use one layer of tape on the bottom and sides of the lug and one on the from(muzzle end)and make sure the tape is cut clean with the edges and you wax the the tape and clay.
    I agree! I just put one in the mud(10min ago) and made sure I re-waxed the action...just to be safe!
    LR..I just waxed the tape on my lug...for the first time! Ive been wondering how to keep it from sticking on my last couple jobs..figured Id try that...now I know. Lol
    Scooter

Basic Member
    I just did, I ran out to the garage and waxed it again. I will wax again in the morning. One layer of tape muzzle end of lug and 2 layers on the bottom and sides.

Scooter I don't know that I could set the mud in the evening, I probably would toss and turn all night wondering, what did I forget. lol. I have a cheat sheet/checklist that I try to make sure to cover my bases.

Lol...I work nights so Ill be thinking about it all night at work. I was a nervous wreck on my first time. Then to make matters worse, I couldnt get the action out. I found out later I wasnt hitting it hard enough. I left it in the freezer over night and it popped right out the next morning. Ive got a couple links bookmarked that I go to every time I bed one and reread them just to make sure Ive got it all right.
    Scooter

LongRange
    1 layer is enough on the lug and it will fit tighter but if your more comfortable with two then by all means do it....

this is what happens when you dont wax the clay real good....

Basic Member
    Tic Toc the minutes seem like hours. Woke up around 1:30am as the torrential thunderstorms started rolling through and decided to go out to the garage and mud the action. At 3hrs elapsed time I cut away along the action and did some initial clean-up. And... so it sits and I wonder how it will turn out. :)

LongRange
    Not long now and you'll be popping it out.

Not long now and you'll be popping it out.
    Oh yeah! What he said!
    I popped mine out before I left for workn seems ok, gotta do my cleanup over the weekend.
    Keep us posted!
    Scooter

LongRange
    well is it stuck?

Basic Member
    well is it stuck?
    Chuckle. No. Been busy installing the temporary scope and getting some 223 rem ready for the tumbler.

Here are the results: At 11hrs elapsed time I tightened up the action bedding studs and then removed the studs. The action popped out without any use of the rubber mallet. This is the 1st time I have used the studs.

There are a couple voids at the top of the sides of the action, but will have no effect on aesthetics nor mechanical fit. Reasonable results.

Installed the scope base and the timney trigger and set the pull weight.

And here she is all suited up and ready to dance. Have some factory lapua 105gr ammo that I will use to break-in the barrel, hopefully next week weather permitting.

LongRange
    that came out very nice and looks great assembled...looking forward to range results!

ive always set my savage triggers to 10oz and when i got my 591 i set the jewel to 10ozs and it was way to light...set it to 1lb and still to light...i settled on 1.5lbs and it feels like a 10oz savage trigger...at least to my finger LOL!!

Looks great! Bedding job turned out nice! Which Burris is that....or did I miss it in the earlier posts?
    I just got a timney for my remage in the mail yesterday. I got the 1.5-4lb. With that pull weight....did you get the Calvin elite? The one I just bedded (or umm rebedded but we wont tell everyone) is a 6br....we maybe we can compare some loads here and there.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Thanks guys.

Scooter, that's the Burris XTRII 8x40 that I moved from my Flat Back 260 rem until this winter. The trigger is a Calvin Elite 8oz to 1.5lbs. I am looking to load some 90gr&105gr Lapuas, 105gr or 108gr Bergers and I have some 95gr SMKs that I will also try. Powders on hand Varget, BL-C(2), H335, H4895 and I will probably also try some VV.

Speaking of flat back, I moved the bolt back and forth when I was removing the scope. That action is so old that it is really smooth. It also had a T&T by Fred so it definitely is a keeper. It was a Pawn Shop find that had been abused and used by its previous owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast