Thread: Is it just my bad luck? Way too many duds with Remingtron "Golden Bullets"

Basic Member

Is it just my bad luck? Way too many duds with Remingtron "Golden Bullets"

Years ago the Remington solid point "Golden Bullet" was one of the most accurate cheaper types of ammo in my 100 meter pistols shot in competition. I would by several 5000 round cases at Coast to Coast on their yearly sale for about $79 / case, and never had any problems with them, and accuracy was good enough to win state championships without having to resort to weight and rim thickness sorting.

That cartridge (leftover boxes from the old days) was also one of the few that would actually function in my POC Sig Mosquito some years later.

We were shooting a high end pistol, Sig Hammerli Trailside, swiss made, the other day and the dang bulk pack Remington Golden Bullets were producing duds about 10% of the time. I googled remington golden bullet duds (or misfires) and found post after post complaining about what I just experienced.

What is the most reliable and accurate current production "cheap" ammo that you guys are finding. (I use the word cheap lightly. I just cannot seem to forget the 550 round packs of 22 ammo at Walmart for $8.88. I would buy one every time I was in the store - wishing now I had bought a dozen each visit instead.)

I put a 1,400-round bucket through my Marlin 795 over the last year with no duds.

I quit buying Golden Bullets years ago due to the number of duds I'd get.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I had similar experience with Remington ammo

Basic Member
    It is right down there on the bottom ammo shelf.

Stork
    Geezer, my primary shooting discipline is Bullseye Pistol and I usually go through 8-10,000 rds a year of 22 ammo. Yea, the last few years have made me very happy I believe in always buying at least 1-2 years ahead.

The high % of dud ammo is legendary with Remington ammo and has been for decades. If you had to make it through the match without having a dud you just didn't shoot Remington. That being said, it's some of my most accurate SV ammo, it will hold nearly as good a 10 rd group as Eley 10x (1/8'' larger group @ 50 yards). I don't mind using it for practice but wouldn't consider using it for a match. You might go through 3-4 50rd boxes without a hitch, then you'll have a box that gives you 1 or 2 duds every magazine. And, these would all be out of the same case of ammo. Just no rhyme or reason to it.

I'll continue to shoot it up till it's gone for practice or for slow fire, but won't consider it for matches.
    Al

Basic Member
    I used to get a lot of duds through an old 22 semi auto rifle, I have had for years. Once it started having extraction issues as well, it was time to take it apart and have a look see. I repaired the extraction problem, and realized there was quite a bit of gunk around the firing pin. Once that was cleaned and re-assembled, the duds went away as well. Might be some of the many reports of "duds".

A 22 rifle or pistol is often the most neglected of firearms. Mainly, I think, that many folks are not looking for precision marksmanship from them. JMHO

Basic Member
    Duds in my Anschutz, duds in my two CZ's, duds in my two Henrys, duds in my Marlin 60 and Norinco JW 15.

Not to mention inaccuracy and poor assembly with rotating heads.

Other than the above, a fine round. Never put them into a semi or a lever rifle. It is a true PITA to remove when it gets stuck somewhere in the workings of the rifle.

Basic Member
    I will not trade money for Remington Golden Bullets!!

My favorite cheap 22lr ammo is CCI Blazers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mscott71 View Post
    I will not trade money for Remington Golden Bullets!!

My favorite cheap 22lr ammo is CCI Blazers.
    I wish I could find CCI ammo that wasn't priced like it had "Golden Bullets"! The Mini Mags seem to be the recommended ammo for every finicky pistol. CCI Standard Velocity is one of the most accurate and reliable 22 LR cartridges out there.

I did buy some of that Norma Tac22 stuff and some Federal Gold HV Match when it was offered for $39 / 500, which was $15 cheaper than either the Remington or the CCI offerings on the local secondary market and about the same as the CCI Blazers after shipping off the web. They both shot really well - accuracy was better than any of the 'normal' stuff I have tried, but the gooey grease on the Norma bullets precludes carrying them in your pocket. The Federal has grease also, but not as soft as the Norma, but I still put that in a ziploc bag before placing it in my pocket when walking about.

I avoid any Remington rimfire ammo. It cruds up my suppressor faster than any other brand.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I avoid any Remington rimfire ammo. It cruds up my suppressor faster than any other brand.
    The shooting dirty completely escaped my mind.

geargrinder- Try Federal Automatch. It is reasonably priced and shoots well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    The shooting dirty completely escaped my mind.

geargrinder- Try Federal Automatch. It is reasonably priced and shoots well.
    Yep, that's my go-to stuff along with CCI Standard Velocity. Those two are the cleanest and most reliable for my host/can.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar