Thread: Last question I swear, regarding the pre tapped holes in the tang of a 1909.

mpsteidle

Last question I swear, regarding the pre tapped holes in the tang of a 1909.

So after I ordered my tang sight, i went ahead and inspected the pre drilled and tapped holes on the tang of the reciever. The plug in the first hole came out with some effort, however, the second hole looked like this.

so as I was curious, I took off the stock and it appears that the screw holding the safety mechanism in place is using the same hole from the bottom? Is this normal? Once I mount the sight, will there be enough thread in the second hole to hold the screw? Will I just have to shorten one of the screws?

Basic Member
    What you have is correct, the rear hole is shared by the safety/trigger spring screw and requires a very short screw to mount the sight - the screw should be just short enough to tighten so there will be as many threads as possible left to hold it.

The screws are 8-40's and my local ACE Hardware started stocking sets of gun screws that include several sizes of these in a couple head styles that include the ones for a tang sight, prices vary by length but are all under $1 each. These screws look like the same set Brownell's sells which look like the the same as the ones offered on eBay for about $5 a set of two with added shipping.
    Last edited by Sav22; 04-20-2016 at 11:57 PM.

mpsteidle
    Okay, awesome! Thanks for the info, I'm very excited to take this thing for a spin once i get the Lyman sight tuned in! I was doing well at 100 yards with the standard notch sights, so this should be a huge upgrade.