Thread: What would you do?

bme27

What would you do?

So I have an axis in 243, picked it up for my sister who was 12 at the time to hunt with, but she didnt really get into hunting so now I have it. I had some trigger work done and now its good, but the stock is still not up to par for me. The other issue I have is the thin barrel. I am currently trying to figure out my long range build. Would this axis action be good to build off of if it has a different barrel? If I did this I would put it in the MDT LSS chassis and the new barrel would be in 308. Is the axis action worth building on or should I sell it and start with something else
    Last edited by bme27; 04-14-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Basic Member
    Certainly, many people have done essentially the modification that you are considering, and it seems a lot of them have been happy with the results. It also seems, though, that many end up spending $1100 - 1200 - 1300 on the project, and I can't help but wonder if they wouldn't have been better off just buying what they wanted to begin with. True, there's enormous satisfaction in building your own custom, but from a pure dollars-and-cents perspective it doesn't often end up making a great deal of sense. For one thing, if you ever decide to sell it you will find that you're going to lose a large chunk of your investment. A buddy bought a Savage 12FV .243 a few months ago used from a pawn shop for $500, and if any modified Axis shot better I would be shocked -- but I'd be very interested in seeing it!

Basic Member
    I would have a hard time spending 600 plus on a chassis for a budget rifle action.

Basic Member
    My axis heavy barrel .243 is outshooting my .308 12FV right now. Axis can hold its own just fine in my experience. Action is more enclosec and potentially rigid as a result. Same floating bolthead. Rockite the axis stock and it will feel more solid

Basic Member
    *enclosed

Basic Member
    Axis is doing 5/16" at 100yd

bme27
    Thanks for the input everyone. So what is "wrong" with the axis action? Why are there not more long range rifles built off of it? I understand that you can get the 12 FV for not much more, but its still more that could go to something else like a good scope.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.