Thread: C&R question on 110

Basic Member

C&R question on 110

Good evening,

I'm working on a deal for a pre-67 110 in 30-06 that's missing bottom metal, the trigger guard, and action screws. The serial is 36xxx.

Are there any any issues having a non-licensee send the rifle direct to me using my C&R?

Thanks

No problem at all so long as you can verify that it is over 50 years old.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

This is definitely not the place I would be asking for legal advice on a FFL but I did pull this from ATF's page. Call the technicians to get your answer.

From ATF page.....

"A regulation implementing Federal firearms laws, 27 CFR §478.11, defines Curio or Relic (C&R) firearms as those which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1.Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

2.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) for a formal classification."
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    thanks for the responses. My main question for the experts here is an approximate age based on the serial number. I know it's pre-67, and very likely pre April 1966 so it'd be C&R eligible. We're also looking for the barrel stamp too.

Thanks

Should be a 1963 production, early `64 at the very latest.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks for that. I started this year without any older Savages and this could be number 2.