Thread: CenterPoint vs Leatherwood

Turbolung

CenterPoint vs Leatherwood

For any of my fellow cheapskate buddies..OK..I'm a $100 scope kinda guy..Id like to have the better scope..bit poor lol that being said, I wanna save someone like me from making the mistake I did. I bought that Leatherwood 4-16x44 scope from Sportsman Guide a lil while back. I I liked the mildots and it had the side focus feature I wanted, and it was in my price range. Well, I got tired of struggling to get a clear picture when using the zoom, and decided to put my CenterPoint 4-16x40 on. All I can say is WOW. It's such a better scope. BRIGHT crystal clear picture and almost none of the gray blur the Leatherwood is plagued with. I was already a big fan of the CP because it's the ONLY brand I tried that held up to the reverse recoil of a break barrel air rifle. But now I have more reasons to like em. Oh, the no questions asked, don't need a receipt warranty Walmart offers makes em even better. Moral of the story, if you don't have alot to spend and need the best scope you can get on a budget, you may wanna consider em.

Basic Member
    How many rounds through it and on what caliber rifle???

I had one (same one you speak of) had to resight in every time I shot the rifle, that was a Mark II in 22 LR. I eventually cut the tops of the turrets off and mounted them on my leupold Mark 2 (now the AR series). I then attempted the "Saving Private Rian" shot and fired a fmj 5.56 round through the scope, needless to say it did not pass through at 100 yards

Just noticed you said air rifle, maybe you'll have better luck with that

Turbolung
    Too bad you had a lemon, its the the 3rd CP iv had, ner had an issue with em and two of em were used on a break barrel air rifle and held up to thousands of shots and croashaira never broke. I'm using the new one on a 22 mag but the scope has a couple hundred shots with the air rifle under its belt..no probs..like I said, got tired of the blurs with the other and decided to swap em out. It just shocked me how much clearer the glass was. I'm not trying to sell you on it, use what ya like. Just sharing my comparison.

I bought a cheapo Center Point reflex sight and have used it on a .357 levergun, a Beretta CX4 Storm and it now sets on top of an AR-15. I've have it for about 2 years now and it has worked great on all of the rifles (so far). It is the only CP product I have bought, and for $30 bucks, I couldn't be happier with it.

Not the same luck with a BSA scope I bought a year or two back though, it sux. My scopes are Leupold, Redfield, Vortex and Swift mostly, with a few old Tasco and Bushnell's in the mix. I would not be afraid to try a CP scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post

I then attempted the "Saving Private Rian" shot and fired a fmj 5.56 round through the scope, needless to say it did not pass through at 100 yards
    He was shooting 30-06. Not 5.56. In fact, no one in Saving Private Ryan was shooting 5.56 lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    He was shooting 30-06. Not 5.56. In fact, no one in Saving Private Ryan was shooting 5.56 lol.
    You got me there lonewolf. Unfortunately I don't own a 30-06 tho

I also set it on a gravel road as opposed to it being secured in place....ill have to be more prepared next time lol

Basic Member
    You can't shoot through a scope no matter what round you fire at it. Yes I have tried. It won't even go through with a 300 RUM.

Basic Member
    I can't remember the source, but I have seen it done on some credible TV shows. Variables don't work very well, but, as I recall, a simple fixed power worked out pretty good. Might have been something off of History Channel. One of those "Legenday-trick-shot, can-it-be-duplicated/verified" kinda shows.

Topsail
    Mythbusters duplicated the feat, but had to use a steel tube scope and used AP 30-06 ammo.

Basic Member
    That may be what i was thinking of. What is AP 30-06 ammo? (What's AP????)

Armor piercing