Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! considering making the switch.

Hello! considering making the switch.

i've had nothing but remington 700's so far but am planning to move to savage mainly because of the ease of home smithing compared to the remington. im told unlike the remington pretty much all work can be done at home with mimimal specialty tools.

the first one will probably be a .308 since im selling a .308 to fund it but i'd reeally like to pick up one of the 110fcp .338lm or .300wm in the future.

are there any tips anyone can give me on things to watch out for when choosing a savage? such as parts availability or incompatibility, if i wanted to switch stocks or barrels later.

Basic Member
    Biggest I've seen is the stock compatibility with regards to top vs bottom bolt release. I've seen many a shooters say short action rounds may have feed issues in a long action (like building long action .308). Others will probably chime in. They're accurate rifles but the remy guys seem to bash them a lot. Good luck making friends

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome - do your homework (on this site) with regards to action screw spacing and small/large shank barrels.

Action screw spacing, along with top or bottom bolt release, will determine which aftermarket stocks are compatible with your action.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Welcome from NE Michigan.
    USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "

Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    Biggest I've seen is the stock compatibility with regards to top vs bottom bolt release. I've seen many a shooters say short action rounds may have feed issues in a long action (like building long action .308). Others will probably chime in. They're accurate rifles but the remy guys seem to bash them a lot. Good luck making friends
    Ouch. That pretty much rules out the idea of getting the 110 in 300wm and parts to switch to 308 now and then. I would really like to get a 300wm or a 338 but I'm too attached to 308 to not have one around.

My first build was a 30-06 to 308 on a square back 110 action,zero problems with feeding.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Welcome to the forum Wide.

If you like to tinker with stuff, you'll love Savage rifles. Get an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench. There's a ton of aftermarket and factory options.

This site has a lot of reference for the shade tree gunsmith. If you're inclined, the $15 membership gets you access to the member classifieds.

Dana
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    I have built many .308's from long actions. I have NEVER had a feeding problem. None whatsoever. Never heard any complaints from anyone else who has done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dfrosch View Post
    Welcome to the forum Wide.

If you like to tinker with stuff, you'll love Savage rifles. Get an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench. There's a ton of aftermarket and factory options.

This site has a lot of reference for the shade tree gunsmith. If you're inclined, the $15 membership gets you access to the member classifieds.

Dana
    I went through the paypal checkout. Not sure how long that takes to activate.

And yes I like to tinker but oddly only with guns. I don't get into cars or anything like that. I'm actually just finishing up my third 1911 build now.

Team Savage
    howdy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    My first build was a 30-06 to 308 on a square back 110 action,zero problems with feeding.
    What kind of mods did you have to perform to make that switch? I plan on doing the same. Picking my glass up this week for the build and ordering a stock once I decide which one I want.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by albaugh6 View Post
    What kind of mods did you have to perform to make that switch? I plan on doing the same. Picking my glass up this week for the build and ordering a stock once I decide which one I want.
    Just switch barrels and make sure it is properly head spaced as usual.

Welcome to the forum. Just recently changed my first barrel, from a 270 to a 308. Minimal tools and the head spacing was easy. As FOXX stated above, long action 308s feed very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wide Glide View Post
    I went through the paypal checkout. Not sure how long that takes to activate.

And yes I like to tinker but oddly only with guns. I don't get into cars or anything like that. I'm actually just finishing up my third 1911 build now.
    You're showing up as a paid member.

Here's a link to a plethora of information:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Article-Links

Actually, everyone has access to that.

BTW, there was a 308 barrel in the classifieds last night. Don't know if someone snagged it yet...

Delivered the Remington to her new owner today. Time to start watching for the right savage. I'd start picking up parts and go that rout but I'm worried I'd end up buying a bunch of crap that isn't compatible.

would it be safe to assume that the action that comes on the .338LM 110fcp isnt exactly the same as the one that comes on the .300WM 110fcp?

Got no data on that.

But I can see Savage using a large shank barrel for the Lapua. As far as I know, most, if not all of their 300WMs are small shank barrels.

Someone around here has the answer...

Yeah I wish I was a teen and could still comprehend things faster I've got a ton to learn before making the purchase but the money is burning a hole in my pocket driving me nuts I Drive a truck for a living so I don't get much time online and when I do its with a phone or tablet

As of right now I can affordo
    110fcp .338 lm rifle only
    110fcp .300wm rifle and glass
    10fcp-Sr .308 rifle and glass.

But I've got questions about all of them **** can't figure out which I want to go for. Eventually I'd like to have all three or at least two of them with the option of converting one to the other caliber

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Same here.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by albaugh6 View Post
    From 30-06 to 308 just entails a barrel change. Change out the factory recoil lug too as they're stamped, not dead flat like the ground after market lugs are.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Te .338LM actions are different from regular 110 actions. The top of reciever is solid and not cutout to increase rigidity where as the 110 has the cutout. Was shooting with a guy who had the .338LM BA. If you want the 338LM you will need to start with that specific action. There is information a dug up on it when I started my 110 build. Originally wanted a .338LM but went with 300WM since I could use the regular 110 action.

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

would it be a bad idea to buy a 110fcp-hs .300 wm just to swap barrels to a .308 so i would have the ability to load long without having to single feed?
    EDIT... from what I'm reading I should be able to load plenty long with the short action

i've decided i need .308 and want to be able to feed long rounds from a mag. so atleast one of the rifles i buy needs to be .308 or easily converted.

for the second rifle i still havent decided between .338lm or .300wm.

if i were to buy used i could get used .300wm and .308 and have enough left over for the new 10fcp .338lm
    Last edited by Wide Glide; 03-09-2016 at 07:03 PM.

one more question... lol

is there any reason to set the headspace of the rifle to near min with go guage vs sizing brass to current headspace of rifle?

i ended up getting both the 10fcp hs precision in .308 and the 110fcp hs precision in .338 lapua. i went hand tight to the go guage then backed off maybe an 8th of a turn on the .308 as soon as i got it but by the time the .338 came yesterday i was pondering the above question and havent messed with it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast