Thread: Savage Prefit on an ARC Mausingfield Action?

Basic Member

Savage Prefit on an ARC Mausingfield Action?

Anyone ever done this? Considering building a PRS rifle on a Mausingfield action, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the Rem/Age setups before I drop $1,600 on that action lol. I know Ted @ ARC started making the M5 actions w/ Savage threads for this sole reason, so I'm just wondering if anyone has built one and how it shoots.

Also wondering which stocks I'd be looking at since it's technically based on a standard M700 action, but uses a barrel nut instead of being cut/shouldered? Any insight is appreciated.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Yep This Guy. You'll get more info on this on the Hide. I'm about to pull barrel #2 and spin on Barrel #3 in the next few months and have been running this action for over a year now. I have #79 off the line.

You can still use a shoulder, right?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Yes! The only difference between a Savage and Remington as far as barrel install goes is the thread pitch. They both can be installed either way. The Mausingfield runs the small shank with the Savage Thread Pitch. I have had zero accuracy issues running it this way. My dope and wind calls have been dead on all the way out to 1400yds. I'm running 6mm, so passed that things start to get a little more squirrely, but possible depending on the conditions.

Basic Member
    LW what stock options are there with a barrel nut? Is it Savage or Rem?
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Yes! The only difference between a Savage and Remington as far as barrel install goes is the thread pitch. They both can be installed either way. The Mausingfield runs the small shank with the Savage Thread Pitch. I have had zero accuracy issues running it this way. My dope and wind calls have been dead on all the way out to 1400yds. I'm running 6mm, so passed that things start to get a little more squirrely, but possible depending on the conditions.
    Didn't they run the action thread length a little longer than the Savage. I was under the impression that you had a longer thread engagement. It would make sense unless the barrels are class 2 or better thread fit.

Basic Member
    If anything I think it's a hair shorter as when properly headspaced the last thread or so is passed the barrel nut when tightened down on my Apache Barrels.

Interesting LW. Does it have a floating bolt head? You know that is the secret to accuracy ....LOL ....or maybe it is the secret to accuracy when your Axial and perpendicular tolerances are crazy wide open. I love Savage but they really are the Yugo of Rifles.

Basic Member
    ...You don't say!

LongRange
    big horn actions also use savage barrels and floating bolt heads...the TL3s come out in june and they have made some nice changes to them.

Shilen has one to

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Shilen has one to
    They do, but I don't recommend it if you're trying to upgrade from a Savage Action... I had one and had all the same issues. So I ended up getting rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    big horn actions also use savage barrels and floating bolt heads...the TL3s come out in june and they have made some nice changes to them.
    Does the Bighorn BH float or does the design just facilitate changing the bolt face.(one of the positives for savage) I had read they don't use the open tolerance in the fit between the body and the head and the body and the raceway that Savage has. That eliminated the movement of the bolt in the raceway and the hopping of the bolt handle. If that is true it makes good sense.

LongRange
    They do float just not a sloppy float...I've never handled one but ppl love them.

http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...new-tl3-action
    Last edited by LongRange; 04-09-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Basic Member
    One of the main things drawing me to the ARC is the 105/-5 bolt lift. I had the pleasure of playing with one the other day and upon closing the bolt, it basically 'falls into place.' And it only gets better when you run it harder.

LongRange
    winnie you should call ted and talk direct to him about the bolt lift...i know he is only doing one bolt lift know but not sure which one...in the beginning he had a few different options but changed to just one.

Basic Member
    It's the 105/-5 that he is sticking with. Ted is out to satisfy his customer base though and a great guy to talk too in general. I've had an ongoing email chain with him since I received my action feeding him back information on my experiences. I find it better to have a longer bolt knob than what the factory one provides on this action. The extra torque is nice and having more to hold on to also feels better in the hand to me. It's smooth for sure, but has it's own unique "clunk" or "hitch" along with the angle of the bolt handle being closer to the rifle than the way Savage handle stick out. Once you get used to it though it's lightning fast and I never lose view of the target while running it as well.

Basic Member
    Just to clarify... i can order a savage small shank prefit from any of the manufacturers an install it just like my savage?

I understand the threads are the same but there is more to a barrel than just the threads

Basic Member
    Nope, works the exact same. Just spun the 3rd barrel on my. Broke it in with 70rds. Picked a load and took 2nd out of 38 shooters in a Long Range Steel Match on Sunday. I was 1 point behind 1st place. Few bad adjustments for the wind on my part and mirage beat me with my magnification up to high on the 900yds target, but 3rd Apache Gun Works barrel is just as much of a hammer as the first too. Jim's work is very consistent!

Basic Member
    Cool good to hear. I have wondered that for a while. I know the thread is the same but i was unsure if the chamber was cut the same.

Thanks for cleaning that up

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Yep This Guy. and have been running this action for over a year now. I have #79 off the line.
    Because I'm jealous, I really hate you for getting one early.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I love Savage but they really are the Yugo of Rifles.
    Yes, and I'm totally stealing this line!
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.