Thread: Optic question?

dabombbizzle

Optic question?

So for Christmas I got the savage axis xp chambered in .308. So far I love it.

I do however want to upgrade the scope from the cheap Bushnell scope that came mounted on it. My question/ issue is there is very little room when you open the bolt between the knob and the ocular lense. I can barely fit a business card in that space.

I don't want to order a new scope if the knob on the bolt will keep hitting the ocular lense, potentially damaging the scope.

Has anyone here upgraded their scope and if so, what scope did you get? Did you need to buy higher rings as well? I was looking at the Vortex Crossfire II but I can't find the diameter of the ocular lense anywhere. I'm not looking to spend more than $250 on a new scope considering the rifle is only about $400.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Ryan

Basic Member
    If you are happy with scope. Then just purchase a different base or higher rings.

Only way to get away from the tight bolt-to-scope clearance on the Axis is to modify the bolt handle or replace it with an aftermarket one.

Here's the one on my .223 Axis with a tactical style knob. Note that it's been ground flat on the top (eliminating the recesses) to give it more clearance.

Here's the one on my .284 Win Axis. Again the top has been ground down eliminating most of the recesses and the stock knob was just ground down on either side to make a flat paddle.

I would avoid going to higher mounts/rings if at all possible as that will just create cheek weld issues and exaggerate the effects of canting.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

dabombbizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Only way to get away from the tight bolt-to-scope clearance on the Axis is to modify the bolt handle or replace it with an aftermarket one.

Here's the one on my .223 Axis with a tactical style knob. Note that it's been ground flat on the top (eliminating the recesses) to give it more clearance.

Here's the one on my .284 Win Axis. Again the top has been ground down eliminating most of the recesses and the stock knob was just ground down on either side to make a flat paddle.

I would avoid going to higher mounts/rings if at all possible as that will just create cheek weld issues and exaggerate the effects of canting.
    Thanks for posting the pics, they were very helpful. Were those bolts after market bolts or the factory bolts? Did you just file them down?

dabombbizzle
    also, those don't look like the factory rings that came with mine, what height rings are those? Medium?

Both are reworked factory bolts. As for the scope mounts, they are medium height DNZ Products Hunt Master's which are good for scopes with up to a 44mm objective. (Leupold in the second set is a FX-III 6x42mm for reference)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain