Thread: Montgomery Ward Model 81 ( Savage Model 29 ) Looking for info and a firing pin

rydermike

Montgomery Ward Model 81 ( Savage Model 29 ) Looking for info and a firing pin

I have a .22 pump action that was given to my father from his father. His dad was a manager with Montgomery Wards. Somehow , over the years the firing pin went AWOL , so I am not just looking for one but also as much info and maybe a manual for the gun. Serial number is 452XXX . His father passed in the late 40's so I am thinking it is of 1947ish manufacture. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide !
    Mike

Mike, wait for Sav22 to show up, he's got piles of info on the sub-models of the 29's, 25's, etc.

Not sure if he'll have a firing pin for you but he'll let you know where you can find one.
    Savage- "never say never".

Bob's Gun Parts says they have firing pins...

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/

Good Luck

Basic Member
    First a couple questions, is the complete model info on the receiver MODEL 81-SB805A? You have listed a 6 digit serial number with the last three x'ed out, I assume it consists of only 5 numbers and a single letter suffix, either an L or a K, since this is a 'house brand' it should be a K but I have seen one example of a 'house brand' with an L, which was used for Savage stamped guns, all the guns were in one serial number sequence.

The gun uses a 29-A action and not a 29 - the 29-A was not just an improvement but was a completely different action internally with no parts in common with the earlier 29 except possibly some screws.

Here is the firing pin you need, the width of the tip on these will vary but I don't know how much that would affect firing, if to 'fat' they may not fire as reliably.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/112590.htm

Here are some of the firing pins you don't need (for model 29) - note that there are two different and the later version will fit all 29's but the early version will not fit the later version of bolt. Looking at these pictures I think they have the wrong picture for the Stevens 75, pictured is a later firing pin and all the 75's I have seen will take the early ones (but the one pictured will also fit).
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/397320.htm#397320A

If my assumptions about the full Model marking and the serial number are correct I think your gun may have been made in 1943 at the latest. I have a 1941 Spring & Summer Wards catalog which lists a pump 22, it does not give the model but the ordering number is '560 C 508', so it includes the number 508 that is also stamped on the gun. The next Wards catalog I have in Fall & Winter of 1943-1944 which has a note that guns were not available 'because of the war'. I also have another retailer's 1943 Fall & Winter catalog that has a Savage made pump 22 listed (Stevens 49), but with a note that production had stopped and when current inventory ran out no more would be available. The highest serial number for these I have seen is 425xxK, so your Model 81 would be later production - but if this was later in 1943, or years later after the war, is still not definitely known (if it were made in 1943 it still may have been sold new out of inventory in 1947) I have data on other Model 81-SB508A's that have serial numbers mixed in the same range as the Stevens 49's. In Savage catalogs they had a note that the Model 29 (A) pumps would not be be available in 1947, then they were not list again for a couple years.
    Last edited by Sav22; 04-17-2016 at 10:53 AM.