Thread: First F-Class match (North Carolina)

Basic Member

First F-Class match (North Carolina)

Shot my first F-Class match here in NC today.. It was a medium range (600 yard) match and we shot 3 relays. The wind was about 8-10 MPH pretty much dead into us but would shift left and right slightly. I shot a 260 Remington with a ER Shaw barrel using 142 SMK's over H4350 at around 2850 FPS... It was a small group of F-Open shooters, I think there were 7 total. Several FT-R guys and some military guys shooting service rifles. I enjoyed it quite a bit despite most of the folks being quite a bit older than myself. Very laid back and friendly atmosphere... My goal was to stay in the 180's but I slipped in the 2nd relay with a couple 7 rings... I'll try to post results when I get them emailed to me tomorrow..

Relay 1 = 184-0x
    Relay 2 = 177-2x
    Relay 3 = 183-2x

Basic Member
    I shot my first F-class match myself last weekend. I shot my 243 and was pleased with the gun's performance. I had so much tension across my neck and shoulders, that during the third match I could feel head moving on the stock. I might have to try that practice thing that I hear people talking about.

LongRange
    nice shooting chad...just a little tip...if your shooting a scope with a thick reticle making it hard to see the X ring try aiming with the reticle on the bottom of the X ring and adjust your elevation to shoot high.

try aiming with the reticle on the bottom of the X ring and adjust your elevation to shoot high.
    That tip takes me back a few decades to the range at Parris Island and Camp Lejeune. With open sights at 500, the black circle was small and elusive...especially when mirage was doing it's thing...so a six o'clock sight picture put the black circle on top of the front sight blade where it was much more "manageable" and you could get a better sight picture. Sounds like you guys had a good day. Not too many shooters and a favorable wind. Were you at Hawks Ridge?

Basic Member
    This was at Stone Bay which is just up the road about 5 minutes from Camp Lejeune. They have (3) 600 yard ranges with 50 stations each and (1) 1000 yard range with about 30 stations... The match director was telling me that the marines shoot 44 weeks out of the year at Stone Bay and typically shoot about 1.5 million rounds per month.

Thanks for the heads up Dave.. Having the proper tools is paramount in anything you do and a NF Benchrest 12x42 would really serve me well right now... LOL..

LongRange
    check bruno's or sigh up for his mail list...they have had a lot of scopes lately at almost half price...they had 2 used 12-42s and some used march scopes.