Thread: 111 Trophy Hunter / Aftermarket Stock /DBM, Plastic Bottom Piece, Bottom Bolt Release

Basic Member

111 Trophy Hunter / Aftermarket Stock /DBM, Plastic Bottom Piece, Bottom Bolt Release

I know this gets asked a million times guys, but I'm going to ask it again. I've looked high and low for the answer I'm looking for, but either the threads I find aren't specific enough (part numbers, and what not), or the links posted within are no longer good, or the pictures are no longer viewable. I want to replace the stock on my Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP, chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle has the bottom bolt release, plastic trigger guard and bottom piece, and a detachable box magazine. The options are limited I know, but I'm not even sure what my options are to be truthful. I know for a fact, that I do NOT want a laminate stock. I want a full aluminum bed block stock. I'm not too picky as to the weight of the stock. I really like the Hogue stocks, and would buy one in a heart beat, but the descriptions of the stocks are not clear enough. I'm not sure if they will fit my rifle or not. If they will not fit, what can I do to make it fit? I know I've read that people have converted there rifles to blind magazines, but I can't for the life of me find the part numbers needed to convert my rifle to a blind magazine. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make one of Hogues Full Aluminum Bed Block Stocks to fit my rifle. Can someone please spell it out for me? Links, part numbers, pictures, whatever it takes would be much appreciated. I love this rifle, but the stock is junk. Here is a link to the Hogue Stocks.

https://www.hogueinc.com/stocks/sava...n/dbm/standard

Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag
    Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1 MRAD
    BlackHawk 0 Moa Picatinny Rail & 30mm Rings
    2.18" Scope Height
    Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger
    168 Grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullet
    69.4 Grains Hodgdon H1000 Powder
    Remington Brass Trimmed to 2.490”
    Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primer
    Bullet seated .010” Off Lands
    3050 fps According to my Chrony

Basic Member
    Figured with it being my first post, I'd better include a picture or 2. Everyone likes pictures.

Basic Member
    H561252 is the serial number if that hrlps, and here are some pics of the bottom of the rifle too.

I really could use some help if anyone's able to. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Ok. I've been looking, and I'm no closer to finding my answers. Lol. But I have come to the conclusion that I'd be willing to convert my gun to a blind magazine, so that I can open up my stock possibilities. Does anyone have a parts list, with part numbers, to convert my rifle to a blind mag? Thanks.

Basic Member
    Well, with no help here, I ended up just ordering a Boyds Pro Varmint stock for my rifle. Not even sure if it's going to fit, but I figure for the price it won't be a huge loss if it doesn't work. Not sure if this is a good stock or not, but it's got to be better than what savage put on the rifle. It says it will be 5-7 days before they make the stock. Once I get it, I'll be sure to post some pics, and information for any other people needing help with their savage rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    Well, with no help here, I ended up just ordering a Boyds Pro Varmint stock for my rifle. Not even sure if it's going to fit, but I figure for the price it won't be a huge loss if it doesn't work. Not sure if this is a good stock or not, but it's got to be better than what savage put on the rifle. It says it will be 5-7 days before they make the stock. Once I get it, I'll be sure to post some pics, and information for any other people needing help with their savage rifles.
    Seriously let me know if it works out,I have 111 in 6.5-284 long action same body release ,recessed magazine, love to get a better stock yoursite is a short action?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tric3imagery View Post
    Seriously let me know if it works out,I have 111 in 6.5-284 long action same body release ,recessed magazine, love to get a better stock yoursite is a short action?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    For sure. I'll post pics and everything. Mine is a long action .

Inebriated
    Well, I may be 7 hours late, but hopefully this still helps if you opt out of the Boyd's for some reason.

I put a Bell and Carlson Medalist Sporter stock (Model 1017; link here) on my 111 .30-06. That's the same as yours in every regard, just uses a different magazine. I upgraded to stainless hardware using this thread with various serial numbers for different bottom metal components, but it's not required if you are happy with the polymer bottom components. That stock has an aluminum bedding block and is a direct drop-in. You could also upgrade to steel like I did, or go to a hinged floor plate.

If you want to move to a blind mag, the B&C wouldn't work for you, but if you found a centerfeed bottom-release blind mag stock, all you would need is a magazine retaining clip (Link; Part Number 106130), and a longer front action screw (Link; Part Number 102794).

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but hopefully that can still be of some value.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Well, I may be 7 hours late, but hopefully this still helps if you opt out of the Boyd's for some reason.

I put a Bell and Carlson Medalist Sporter stock (Model 1017; link here) on my 111 .30-06. That's the same as yours in every regard, just uses a different magazine. I upgraded to stainless hardware using this thread with various serial numbers for different bottom metal components, but it's not required if you are happy with the polymer bottom components. That stock has an aluminum bedding block and is a direct drop-in. You could also upgrade to steel like I did, or go to a hinged floor plate.

If you want to move to a blind mag, the B&C wouldn't work for you, but if you found a centerfeed bottom-release blind mag stock, all you would need is a magazine retaining clip (Link; Part Number 106130), and a longer front action screw (Link; Part Number 102794).

Man I wish you would have been here a little bit sooner. I've already put my order in, and it's too late to take it back. If I don't like the Boyds Stock, I'll be getting one of these for sure. I really appreciate your input. I'll be sure to post my results.

Inebriated
    Man I wish you would have been here a little bit sooner. I've already put my order in, and it's too late to take it back. If I don't like the Boyds Stock, I'll be getting one of these for sure. I really appreciate your input. I'll be sure to post my results.
    Yeah, definitely let us know! I used a Boyd's Prairie Hunter for awhile, and it's a good, sturdy piece of hardware.

Worst case scenario, you can swap for the B&C, and justify another rifle to stick in the Boyd's :D

280longshot
    I have the model 10 trophy hunter DBM with plastic and got to agree the plastic trigger guard/ bottom plastic is crap and has already cracked. I'm going to upgrade to all steel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 280longshot View Post
    I have the model 10 trophy hunter DBM with plastic and got to agree the plastic trigger guard/ bottom plastic is crap and has already cracked. I'm going to upgrade to all steel.
    If I knew the correct part numbers to order all metal pieces for my rifle, I'd do it. I still can't find an answer that that question.

Basic Member
    Well I just got the email from Boyd's. My stock will ship today. I paid for 2 day shipping, and I'm hoping it will show up Saturday. If not I should have it by Monday. I just got my aluminum pillars in the mail yesterday, and I picked up my jb weld so I can bed the stock when I get it. I'm hoping it turns out well. But like I've said before, anything has got to be better than the stock Savage put on it.

Inebriated
    If I knew the correct part numbers to order all metal pieces for my rifle, I'd do it. I still can't find an answer that that question.
    To upgrade to stainless, I used the serial number g901339 in the part finder. To upgrade to matte steel, you'd use g901331. Just go to the part finder, input the serial number, and it'll show you all the parts.

With either one, you want the entire frame (part #13), new trigger guard (part #19A), both action screw washers (part #19G), and a new magazine baseplate (part #8). Just click the part number, add to cart, and you're good. You can use the old magazine body and spring, and I was able to re-use my factory action screws, as well.

Basic Member
    To upgrade to stainless, I used the serial number g901339 in the part finder. To upgrade to matte steel, you'd use g901331. Just go to the part finder, input the serial number, and it'll show you all the parts.

With either one, you want the entire frame (part #13), new trigger guard (part #19A), both action screw washers (part #19G), and a new magazine baseplate (part #8). Just click the part number, add to cart, and you're good. You can use the old magazine body and spring, and I was able to re-use my factory action screws, as well.

Holy crap, you just made my day. Thanks for the information. I'm going to order these right away. Thanks Inebriated!

Basic Member
    Well the stock came in Monday. When I first got it, I tried to set my barreled action in the new stock. The rifle fit in the stock, but there were a few small clearance issues. I used a small file to open the areas up, that had the clearance issues. After that, I removed the pillars from my Tupperware stock, and drilled holes in the Boyd's stock to accept them. Then I drilled holes in the stock and removed some of the material for the bedding compound to stick to. I taped everything off, filled holes with putty, and coated the action with shoe polish. I then applied the bedding compound, and stuck the action back in the stock for 24 hours. I cleaned it all up, and had to apply a new coat of textured paint, because I had chipped some of it off in the sanding portion of my work. All in all I'm very happy with my first pillar and bedding job. It is time consuming, and I know I didn't do a perfect job, but I'm happy with it.

Stock straight out of the box.

The stock after I drilled holes in it for the bedding compound to stick to.

Action taped off, and filled with putty.

Stock taped off and filled with putty.

Rifle set in the stock, and taped down with electrical tape. The wait begins.

I got a little bit too much bedding compound in the stock, and didn't quite put enough putty in certain spots. No big deal though, I just had more clean up to do than normal.

Nice and cleaned up.

Back together, and ready to go to the range.

Inebriated
    Holy crap, you just made my day. Thanks for the information. I'm going to order these right away. Thanks Inebriated!
    Glad I could help.

The rifle looks great, definitely keep us posted on the groups!

That's going to help out a bunch, Please post a pic after your new stock is on.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Inebriated
    That's going to help out a bunch, Please post a pic after your new stock is on.

Thanks, glad I can be of some help.

Here's how it looks with the stock, this was before I got the steel bottom metal.

And here's a quick pic of it with the steel compared to factory.

The steel is mostly for feel/aesthetics, but my factory polymer was out of spec and wouldn't feed with 100% consistency, and I did notice a rigidity increase in the B&C by making the switch to steel. I doubt it would show up on target, but in the hand, the forend does feel a little stiffer. Flawless feeding now, as well.
    Last edited by Inebriated; 04-30-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks, glad I can be of some help.

Here's how it looks with the stock, this was before I got the steel bottom metal.

And here's a quick pic of it with the steel compared to factory.

The steel is mostly for feel/aesthetics, but my factory polymer was out of spec and wouldn't feed with 100% consistency, and I did notice a rigidity increase in the B&C by making the switch to steel. I doubt it would show up on target, but in the hand, the forend does feel a little stiffer. Flawless feeding now, as well.
    Looks very nice, professional using the steel .

Inebriated
    Looks very nice, professional using the steel .

Thank ya sir! I do occasionally just sit and stare at it :D

Basic Member
    Well I made it to the gun range for a quick trip on Friday. I've got to say that the new stock and bed job, did make a difference in how my rifle shoots. I didn't shoot any 100 yard groups, just because I was pressed for time. I basically shot 7 shots at 200 yards to see how I was grouping, then I zeroed my rifle at 200. And from there I shot at 300, 400, and 500 just to find my drops. I verified that my chronograph was still on. The wind was blowing pretty good (5-10 mph), while I was shooting, so I think I can do better the next time out. Here is a 4" group at 500 yards (3 shots), my 7 shots at 200 yards, a picture of my chronograph, and a picture of the rifle.

500 yards, 3 shots, 4" group.

200 yard grouping, right at the size of a quarter.

The rifle.

Chronograph, at 3050 fps average (high and low reading).

Inebriated
    Awesome stuff, man. Always good to see someone get out and stretch the gun. I so wish I could find the space to get out to 400+ on my own time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk