Thread: New Member

News

Looking forward to reading the posts on the Savage Blog.

My name is Mark Palmer. I'm a recently retired Newspaper Publisher of some 46 years, all with the same company. The last newspaper I published was in Columbia Tennessee. I liked the town so well, I decided to retire here.

I of course grew up hunting but my gun experience was certainly in the Army. I shot expert there and competed in Live Fire Combat shooting against 25 other shooters who had received their expert designation.

After the army and getting back to the real world, I didn't shoot for some 25 years. Now that I'm retired, I'm back at it again.

Here is a question for anyone who cares to help me out.

I recently bought a Mark II SVSR. Great gun by the way. However, I'm getting tired of trying different .22 amo trying to find the round the gun likes best. I've been shooting CCI LR, 40 grain, Standard Velocity. Great round but by I think I can do better. I've also shot Federal Target Grade. The CCI is a better round at 100 and 200 yards.

Here is the question: For those who are shooting the 16 inch Barrel and want to be the best they can be plinking a 100 and 200 yard targets, please give me one or two more "best amo" options. And by the way, you probably need to give me one or two website you like when buying amo.

Anyone out there shooting MOA or even Sub MOA at 100 yards? I'm bound and determined to be the best "old guy" on the range.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Team Savage
    Can not help with your ?, but welcome aboard

Bigtee
    Welcome Mark, like you I am new to forum as well. I am retired LE and have been shooting since my time in USMC in the 80's. I have mostly been doing pistol shooting over the years but I have always been interested in learning how to shoot long range. I haven't shot more than 100 yards since the corps. Hopefully now I will have the opportunity to do so. I don't shoot 22, I shoot .308 and 5.56. I'm sure there are guys and gals on this forum that can assist you!

Welcome from NE Michigan.
    USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Team Savage
    welcome Mark,,,,, ill answer your question in a differant way, at 63 i re entered the rifle world since my childhood , my first new rifle was a 17 hmr ,,,,, i love it ,,,,, it will shoot sub moa at 100 yds ,,,,,

Welcome!

Try sorting your ammo by weight, shooting only equal weight cartridges per group. I think you'll notice an improvement.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways