Thread: Savage Axis II XP as an entry-level target rifle?

Bruin06

Savage Axis II XP as an entry-level target rifle?

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting into rifle shooting for the first time, specifically medium-to-long range target shooting. The range near me goes out to 600 yards (300 with paper targets, 600 with steel). I'm looking for a good entry-level rifle adequate for shooting targets out to 300 and 18" steel out to 600. If possible I'd like to be getting sub-MOA groups on those 300-yard targets since the whole point for me is to see how much accuracy I can get.

I have one very general question: Could the Axis II XP, out of the box, serve as a good entry-level target shooting rifle?

And a few specific questions:

1. The Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40 scope - it's a hunting scope, but could it work as a target scope, at least for a beginner? Is there any way it could be used for shooting 3" groups at 300 yards, or is it just not that kind of scope? (I'm pretty clueless about optics, so use small words!)

2. It doesn't have a bull barrel. How much does a heavy barrel really matter for target shooting? Also, what exactly is the effect of the barrel heating up - to change the POI, to increase the sizes of the groups, or does it do both? Are any of these effects really all that noticeable at 300 yards?

3. Any thoughts about the hardwood stock? Wood looks SO much classier to me, but I don't want to make decisions based on looks alone. Is wood any better/worse at soaking up recoil? Any other major pros/cons of wood stocks? (I should mention here that I'm interested in getting a .223, so recoil won't be a huge factor).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bruin06; 04-12-2016 at 04:48 PM.

1. Some of the best money you can spend is on a new scope. There is a section of this forum is dedicated to optics.

2. A bull or heavy barrel takes longer to heat soak. A hot barrel can lead to both your groups opening up and a shift in point of aim. A heavier barrel also resist whipping better than a light contour which can lead to a tighter group.

3. It's more about wood weighing more than the plastic stock that leads to less recoil. Also a wood stock is stiffer than the factory plastic. There is threads on here where people have stiffened up the factory one.
    A con to wood could be swelling in high humidity, but if the action is bedded and the barrel free floated that shouldn't affect its accuracy.

Others will probably post even more information.

No, I do not think the axis II xp would be a good choice as an entry level target rifle. It's a hunting rifle. The purpose of its design is for hunting. The main thing holding it back is the pencil thin barrel.

Thin barrels just to not work well for target rifles. A good barrel with a good load can hold 1 moa 3 shot groups, but your next shots are going to open the group up.

You can still find Axis HBs out there, the heavier profile barrel will help a lot but the stock will need work and you'll need to buy some glass.

Now.. with that out of the way, this what you should really be looking at:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...Tz_stype%3DGNU

This is a Cabelas only special.
    You get a 26 inch varmint profile barrel (i.e. heavy)
    You get the same accutrigger
    You get a good stock
    It's $419 and you get a $100 rebate, so really it's $319.
    This thing is an absolute steal.

You'll have to buy a scope, which is a good thing because you can get something more appropriate for target work than that kaspa. Get it in 308 and you'll be good to go for med-long range target shooting. Even if you have to drive a couple of hours to get to the nearest cabelas it's worth it, just call ahead to see if they have a 308 in stock, and if they do ask them to hold for you while you drive in.

Hope this helps

SHADOWofDEATHx3
    Axis is OK, but I would go with something else, like the link above. Try Howwa, or Tikka to compare.

Basic Member
    If looking into the Axis. I would get the heavy barrel model in 6.5 Creedmoor or 223 is good if you want.

If it's a package deal follow these steps:

1. Throw the factory stock out or see if someone wants to pick one up here for experimental purposes.
    2. Sell the Scope
    3. Get a Boyd's or SSS Stock/MDT Chassis
    4 Get an EGW 20 MOA base
    5. Get a Primary Arms 4-14x44
    6. have fun with solid factory ammo.

Note my only issue with the Savage 223 is the I believe 1 in 9.25 twist rate. My personal preference in a 223 bolt rifle would be for a 1 in 7 twist and shoot 75-85gr bullets. either AMAXs or Sierra's.