Thread: 10-FLCP-K

BigSkiff

10-FLCP-K

Hey y'all. I'm new to this forum, but some of ya may know me from other gun forums. I just picked up a new Savage 10-FLCP-K in 308. I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range and giving it a run. This will be my second Savage rifle. My first was a 110 in 30.06 also a left handed bolt. In fact that gun is the reason I bought this one. I bought the 110 about 33 years ago from a friend of mine that carried it in a scabbard on a snowmobile while he lived in Alaska. When I got it the scope mounts were broken off from a collision with a tree while carried in the snowmobile scabbard. The stock was discolored from exposure to exhaust fumes and water. The receiver was rusty, especially below the frame line. I gave him $20 for the gun because he was broke and needed cash. I took the gun to my shop and cleaned it up, refinished the stock, removed the broken scope mounts, and striped the rust off the receiver. A little cold blue and some Tru-oil finish and that old 30.06 was ready to shoot. I was not expecting any great performance from that gun, in fact I was wondering if it would even hit the paper at 100 yards. Set up with iron sights I headed out to the range and much to my amazement that old 110 put 3 180 grain rounds in a group all touching each other. I still have that gun and it will still shoot with the same accuracy. It's ugly, but it's a shooter.

I belong to a local gun club that is adding a 500 yard range next year. I though this might be the time to step up to something newer and see if I can still hit the target! It looks like a beautiful gun. Once the ranges dry out enough to be able to get a target up without the use of a boat, (lots of rain lately) I'll be giving her a run to see how we both do!

eight_heads

Re: 10-FLCP-K

I've got a 10 FLCP-K also that I am currently shooting 600yrd F-class with. I am still working on the perfect load, but it seems to like 175gr SMK's and Varget. At the last shoot I shot 94% with a good bit of cross-winds. Once you find a good load I sure you will be impressed.

Basic Member

I have one also and although I can go only 200 meters, The best for me so
    far has been 168 SMK and 43 gr. of varget.
    Sub MOA all the time and 5 in .4 inches is the best so far.

Good Luck!!!
    Proud Member<br />EOD Master Blaster&#39;s

BigSkiff

Thanks y&#39;all! I&#39;ve really got the itch to shoot this rifle. For the time being I&#39;ve got a 6 x24 42mm BSA Mildot to put on it. I&#39;ve had the scope for several years and never had a use for it. I figure it will probably not hold up but it&#39;s a place to start. When it goes I&#39;ll add some good glass to it. I&#39;ve got a pair of Millet rings due in Tuesday, and I&#39;ll be on the road until Friday anyway, so hopefully by the time I get back, the range will have dried out enough to be able to give it a run. I&#39;ve always thought that long distance shooting was fun. I haven&#39;t really done much of it since I got out of the service in &#39;72. Now I&#39;m an old guy with glasses and stiff joints. LOL. I&#39;m not expecting miracles but I&#39;m going to have fun anyway. Thanks for the tips on the loads. I do reload so building a load for this gun should be fun also.

SBap27

I ordered a 10 FLCP-K in .308 from Turner&#39;s over two months ago. Any idea how long it might take to deliver it where I might locate one now? SteveB La Mirada, CA

nebrlongrange

Quote Originally Posted by eight_heads
    I&#39;ve got a 10 FLCP-K also that I am currently shooting 600yrd F-class with. I am still working on the perfect load, but it seems to like 175gr SMK&#39;s and Varget. At the last shoot I shot 94% with a good bit of cross-winds. Once you find a good load I sure you will be impressed.
    Another FLCP lefty - I just ordered mine last week. I am hoping the other FLCP lefties can advise on scope mount options. I&#39;ve seen FLCP&#39;s with a single piece mount for lefty FLCP&#39;s, but can&#39;t seem to find the manufacturer. Any advise on mount options for these rifles, preferably a single piece option? See link here - it appears to be a single piece raised mount (which looks like it provides plenty of loading clearance) along with low rings to provide optimal clearance for the big objective. Any help appreciated.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...85e1801c8d5250

thanks in advance.

bodywerks

Basic Member

I have a Ken Farrell one piece mount and rings and it will just clear a 50mm objective.
    Built like a stinkin Bank Vault......No way you can go wrong.

Edited to add....
    The Ken Farrell mount is cut on both sides so it ambidextrous.
    Proud Member<br />EOD Master Blaster&#39;s

Basic Member

+1 on the Ken Farrell mounts. Sinclair Int. carries them and for a good price.I also like to use Burris Signature Zee rings to mount tha scope in.They are hard to beat.

Basic Member

Congrats!

I have a 10FLCP-K in .308 and I love it. I have found 45gr of Varget, Hornady brass, 215M&#39;s and the A-Max 168gr to shoot like a laser out to 200 yards. Just haven&#39;t had a chance to shoot it at longer distances. Right now I have a Warne mount on it and even though it for right hand it works fine for a lefty.

Uncle Jack

+12 on everything said. I have three of them:

10FLCP-K .223 Rem
    10FLCP-K .308 Win
    110FLCP-K 300 Win Mag (Savage custom shop)
    I also own an older Savage 110 Tactical .308 that I bought back in the 90&#39;s

I have Farrell bases on the two short actions and a EGW 20MOA on the 300 Win Mag. Both the .223 and the .308 are extremely accurate using 69grn match and 2230, 168grn match and 748. I haven&#39;t really worked with the 300 Win Mag yet.

I really think that the Savage Law Enforcement series are the best values in the Savage line.

uj

kenbo776

have to agree with Uncle Jack....... I love my 10 FCP in .308. I can shoot it all day and with good handloads it just flat out preforms. I am at present using a medium grade tactical scope, and so far my best 200 yard group is 3/8 in. Might trade up to better scope someday but so far cannot complain about my results.

eight_heads

i&#39;m using the EGW 20MOA base

Quote Originally Posted by nebrlongrange
    Quote Originally Posted by eight_heads
    I&#39;ve got a 10 FLCP-K also that I am currently shooting 600yrd F-class with. I am still working on the perfect load, but it seems to like 175gr SMK&#39;s and Varget. At the last shoot I shot 94% with a good bit of cross-winds. Once you find a good load I sure you will be impressed.
    Another FLCP lefty - I just ordered mine last week. I am hoping the other FLCP lefties can advise on scope mount options. I&#39;ve seen FLCP&#39;s with a single piece mount for lefty FLCP&#39;s, but can&#39;t seem to find the manufacturer. Any advise on mount options for these rifles, preferably a single piece option? See link here - it appears to be a single piece raised mount (which looks like it provides plenty of loading clearance) along with low rings to provide optimal clearance for the big objective. Any help appreciated.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...85e1801c8d5250

thanks in advance.