Thread: shot out my first barrel (pic I side )

Basic Member

shot out my first barrel (pic I side )

Well after 2148 rounds of 260 my barrel gave up. It's a match rifle and I shoot 140 bergers at 2840. It still shoots ok I side of 400 yards but after that it's all over the place, not to mention I lost 65 ftps off the velocity. Half the rounds were suppressed

Basic Member
    O and it was a cbi barrel.

Great pic.......
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

You say it still shoots ok?
    I detect a serious loss of pressure lol

Great pic, that's the first time I've actually seen one cut open to determine the extent of wear.
    I'd say that throat is gone.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

It brings a tear to my eye.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Yeah, running that hot of a load, I would have just set back the barrel and re-chamber to keep a good barrel going.
    Nice pic
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Darker you think it was that hot? It was 42.8 of imr4350 and a cci primer in necked up 243 win brass.

Basic Member
    I'm about to pull my second 243 barrel. It's at 1322rds fired and after the last range trip the lands are back pass mag length restrictions.

Yes, you are running about 100 fps faster than the cartridge will do, at least with that powder.

Remember grains aren't constant due to shifted burning rates, the velocity will tell you where you are in the pressure range.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I was getting 15 reloads on winchester brass. I didn't think it was that hot but I could be wrong. It was a 28" barrel.

Basic Member
    Darker uses book data verified with a pressure trace system against listed SAAMI specifications. It is most likely a higher the recommended pressure, but I don't know too many shooters these days the stick to book data if they are in a highly competitive environment. They are always trying to get an edge in accuracy and consistency. Even David Tubb said he works his charges up in the 6XC till the bolt gets stiff drops the charge by a .5 grains and tunes it from there. I'm still have not to seen the random pressure spikes from the 243 in 2 barrels I've shot through now.

That doesn't go to say everyone should run their rifle on the ragged edge of pressure, but should do so with caution and gain a good bit of experience with it before seeing where it goes. After a couple thousand rounds of 243, I'm pretty confident with where the natural node is for me, but I do start fresh whenever a component is changed. (i.e. New barrel, brass, or powder/primer lot)
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 04-13-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Edited and reworded after reading previous post. Darker does provide some good info from the pressure trace system.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Yeah, running that hot of a load, I would have just set back the barrel and re-chamber to keep a good barrel going.
    Nice pic
    my 1-11.25 5R 308 is getting set back. It used to be a tack driver but I knowingly pushed the pills a bit faster. I couldn't help myself, the consistency was right there thru almost the full life of that barrel . we,ll see what comes out of it.
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 04-13-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by Oxn316 View Post
    Darker you think it was that hot? It was 42.8 of imr4350 and a cci primer in necked up 243 win brass.
    Im pretty close to your speeds.
    Im running 2800 with 42.3 IMR 4350 @ 3800ft elev. out of a 26" tube.
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Thats definitely on the warm side. Each barrel is different too and have slightly different pressure curves too. If you run it like I run mine in competition that's not terrible. I'm at 2300 rounds now on my current creed at the same speed and I expect it to go any day now. I did set it back at 1k though so maybe it will last a little longer. Got bored over winter and figured why not.

Basic Member
    I just put another barrel on. That's one of the reasons I love the savage quick barrel changes. I could not see paying 600 to 800 dollers for a new barrel every 2000+ rounds like my buddies do on their 700s

Basic Member
    I don't see the point in setting one back if you scope it and see fire cracking 12" past the chamber.

Also you need to order the barrel with setback in mind as most Savage prefits start to taper right past the threads and there's not enough diameter to cut decent threads. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    Last edited by Scott Evans; 04-16-2016 at 06:14 PM.