Thread: Trigger pull weight and accuracy....

Turbolung

Trigger pull weight and accuracy....

Have any of you found your accuracy improved with adding trigger pull weight? I ask because mine is so light on my 93f that I can't help but wonder if it's going off before I'm ready. I do alot of air rifle shooting, and it has a huge amount of creep and weight due to its 2 stage trigger. I have no problem clipping qtips on half at 10 yards, suckrrs at 50 and apples at 75. My reasoning is I know when the triggers gonna break and I use the creep time to settle my crosshairs where I want em. Whereas, with the 93 I don't feel I have time to adjust to the moment of squeezing the trigger. Does thatake sense to anyone?

Turbolung
    So..noone has ever found that their accuracy suffered from trigger pull being too light?

Basic Member
    For me I ran a 1.5lbs trigger for quite some time. I'm currently running a Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage with an 8oz 1st stage and 1lbs 2nd stage(non savage Rifle) I find the lighter break has made me more consistent after being used to the heavier trigger. I was always taught that the trigger should surprise you before I got into serious precision shooting. I think that's good in the beginning as you should be focused on your sites and learning to do that properly in the early stages. Now that all that is for the most part muscle memory it has become more important that I know exactly when my trigger is going to break in order to break it at the right time.

With that a trigger is a very personal part of the firearm. I don't personally like "touch off" triggers. I like to feel it and therefore prefer about a 1lb break.

Basic Member
    Over the years I've turned into a trigger snob. If I get a weapon with a terrible trigger it's getting smoothed out and lightened. I've never considered going heavier that's for sure. But as mentioned above triggers are a personal kind of thing. But, in general and for me anyway, a heavier trigger sure isn't going to make a weapon easier to shoot accurately.

I want them as light as they can safely be set for the application that they will be used for.

Turbolung
    Thanks for replying..just looking for a little direction based on others experience. The reasoning is it seems I'm more accurate with the rifles that have either a 2 stage trigger, or a trigger with a longer pull..guess that's called creep. Basically, it almost feels like the trigger is so light it goes off before I really want it to. Yes, obviously I know I should have my croashaira settled before I begin squeezing one off..but like I said, feels like I do better when I have that split second to settle in. Kind of like how ya say ready..set..go..to have time mentally and physically process whats about to happen. The accutrigfer gets no complaints..very smooth and breaks cleanly as well as as adjustable as I will ever need. Just double checking before i ake am adjustment because seperating the action from the stock will mean probably have g to retune the scope and I don't enjoy wasting time or bullets..

Don't touch the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I have a 93R17 BV laminated and when I had my LGS mounted my Nikon I asked to measure my trigger pull and it was at 2.0-2.1. Very crisp and this little rifle is so accurate. Love my 93.

Basic Member
    Heavier trigger will not cause inaccuracy. But a dangerously light trigger may cause errors on the shooter. You need control over the pull. If it is too light then I would adjust or change out.

Turbolung
    Finally, some one who gets what I'm saying...

Turbolung
    I have no idea where its set right now and have been busy reinforcing the stock..but plan to test it with a before and after when I'm done..I suspect it's because I'm used to crappy triggers on other rifles and its just too drastic of a change..

It may be personal preference but for me lighter weight and less traveling equates to tighter groups

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

A heavy trigger when pulled influences the point of aim.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Turbo I know what you are saying and yes if you don't feel comfortable with a very light trigger then you might not shoot to your potential as you are always worrying if the rifle will go off when you go towards the trigger and not worry about the fundamentals of shooting. Going heavier might be better for you. No one is saying use a "heavy" trigger but if yours is say 1 pound now then maybe you should go to 2.5-3 pounds and it will feel better. Not saying go to a heavy 8 pound trigger which might influence the shot.

Turbolung
    Definitely understand what a heavy trigger pull does..and all the benefits of a great trigger..like I said, this just doesn't feel natural and I just don't like it. I'm gonna get it weighed and add to it and test er out. If anyone is reading this..I'm trying to get an answer to what that area is called where to barrel connects to the action..the part of the stock that's shaped like a half circle that rises up from the stock to support the barrel. It's right where the barrel connects..the chamber area..trying to get information to decide whether to bed that area or let it float..

I still like the light trigger on my 93F17BV. Crisp and precision.
    Last edited by penna shooter; 04-21-2016 at 09:05 PM.