Thread: bushnell xrs

savage83

bushnell xrs

I found a new one for what seems to be a good price. What are the pros and cons to this scope.

Basic Member
    It is a fine scope.

Plenty of other good options in that price range though.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

savage83
    I can spend rougly 1400. What would you reccomend.

Team Savage
    Weaver 6-30x56 tactical or Burris XTR II 5-25 would be good choices.

savage83
    The bushnell xtr ii has really got my attention.

Basic Member
    The only problem I really have with the Bushnell's is if a variant with the zero stop is purchased their zero stop system is kind of junk and I have seen many users end up a full rev or more off from where they thought they were. I would bump my Search up to $1500 as there are a few features in that price range that really make a difference.

This article is still very relevant in helping decide what you are looking for http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/0...sults-summary/

savage83
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    The only problem I really have with the Bushnell's is if a variant with the zero stop is purchased their zero stop system is kind of junk and I have seen many users end up a full rev or more off from where they thought they were. I would bump my Search up to $1500 as there are a few features in that price range that really make a difference.

This article is still very relevant in helping decide what you are looking for http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/0...sults-summary/
    If you were gonna buy a 1500 dollar scope for bench shooting and ringing steel what would you buy?

Basic Member
    Gen 1 Vortex Razor, Bushnell HDMR, possibly the new 6-30 coming out from Primary arms. NF SHV F1 is a possibility too. Lots of good scopes put there at that price point. Also check on SnipersHide as there's a lot of good deals on used scopes too.

Hard to go wrong with any scope in this price range.

The Vortex Razor HD Gen I will be a little out of your price range yet as they seem to be going for around $1600 last I looked.

The new NightForce SHV scopes are a solid contender.

The Vortex Viper PST line is a proven favorite, though there's a blowhard or two around here who insist they're junk.

I have no experience with the newer tactical oriented scopes from Bushnell, Burris and Weaver so I can't comment on them.

From my standpoint it really depends on what you plan on doing and how well you treat your gear. If you're just pleasure shooting and not competing in rigorous precision/tactical matches I would say save a little money and look at the scopes in the $800-1,200 range. If you're competing then spend the extra money for the additional ruggedness some of the higher priced scopes provide.

I can appreciate a scope built tough enough to use as a hammer to drive a nail, but for what I do (pleasure shooting and varmint hunting) I don't need that level of overkill.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

savage83
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Hard to go wrong with any scope in this price rang
    The Vortex Razor HD Gen I will be a little out of your price range yet as they seem to be going for around $1600 last I looked.

The new NightForce SHV scopes are a solid contender.

The Vortex Viper PST line is a proven favorite, though there's a blowhard or two around here who insist they're junk.

From my standpoint it really depends on what you plan on doing and how well you treat your gear. If you're just pleasure shooting and not competing in rigorous precision/tactical matches I would say save a little money and look at the scopes in the $800-1,200 range. If you're competing then spend the extra money for the additional ruggedness some of the higher priced scopes provide.

I can appreciate a scope built tough enough to use as a hammer to drive a nail, but for what I do (pleasure shooting and varmint hunting) I don't need that level of overkill.
    Thats really all im gonna use it for. Not gonna be any competition shooting. Just want something thats has decent glass and turrets.

savage83
    Ive got a vortex on my marlin 45-70 and that rifle gets abussed and i got some really hot reloads and it jars you. Never had any trouble with it not holding zero.

savage83
    And also im just getting started in long range shooting. So i kinda wanna keep it simple. Should i try to learn mildot reticles or stay with moa?

Quote Originally Posted by savage83 View Post
    And also im just getting started in long range shooting. So i kinda wanna keep it simple. Should i try to learn mildot reticles or stay with moa?
    If you're already used to MOA then I would stick with MOA. One benefit of MOA is that it's a finer adjustment than Mil (roughly 0.26" per click v. 0.36" per click @ 100yds, or 2.6" and 3.6" per click at 1,000yds). With today's newer reticles with hashes every MOA or Mil, and scopes offering mil turrets to go with mil reticles it's a lot easier to learn, but unless you want to update all your optics to mil to avoid confusion I'd stick with what you know as that's what your mind is going to revert to thinking in a pressure situation.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

BTW, when you figure out what you want check with Doug at Camera Land NY as they're running 10-30% off this month.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...10-30-off-Sale