Thread: nightforce benchrest scope

savage83

nightforce benchrest scope

Im considering getting one of these. Has anybody had any dealings with them. If so how do you like them.

I am torn between the nightforce benchrest 12-42 and the competition 15-55

building a new long range target rifle.

the price on the benchrest is very attractive. Wondering if the competition is worth another $1000

savage83
    12-1400 is my max to spend. Would i be happy with the nightforce. All im gonna be doing is target shooting.

I know you are looking for a NF, but this looks interesting.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-g...flescopes.html

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 04-11-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

LongRange
    you guys looking for BR scopes take a look over at brunos theyve had several used and sales lately...another place to check is bear basin they have used scopes now and then.

Basic Member
    The one thing to consider with the bench rest models is the amount of elevation adjustment it has.
    If your intention is to shoot longer distances you might find there isn't enough adjustment.
    Even the 8x32 NXS dosent have the amount of adjustment other Nightforce models have.
    There are ways you can compensate by using the reticle and dialing from a point below the center.
    But its not a straight forward method and requires more concentration.

savage83
    I need something pretty straightforward. I wish i could use a mildot reticle but i dont think i could ever get use to it. The vortex golden eagle looks interesting.

Basic Member
    Leupold makes a BR scope. The old BR36X worked great but only a 1" tube and fixed power to save weight. Field of view was very limited. I don't think it's a current model today but I believe they did replace it with something. Might be worth a look.

savage83
    Im putting it on a 6.5-284 one day i hope to be able to go out to 1000. Right now im shooting at 400. I havent completed the 284 yet.

Basic Member
    You wont have any problem getting to 1000 yds with a benchrest model Nightforce on a 6.5x284.
    You could also add more taper to the scope base which would help also.
    Just remember you wont have the amount of internal adjustment you will need for the extreme distances
    more and more people are trying to reach.

Pretty sure Fred (sharpshooter) is running one on his 6x47 Lapua
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

savage83
    How bout bases what would ne a good base to run with it

Basic Member
    Badger makes a great savage base IMHO. A lot of target shooters like sightron as well. I'm more of a field LR shooter so I can't comment really but NF makes good stuff. I looked thru a BR scope a while back and was impressed but that was years ago. A lot of things have changed in the optics game since then. March is another great scope manufacturer.

Basic Member
    I have been very pleased with Nightforce, Badger, Warne and EGW STEEL picatinny bases on my Savages. Since I never know what cartridge might be under any given base, I stick with steel because aluminum bases have given me problems in hard kickers in the past.

I have owned every model of Nightforce at some point other than the B.E.A.S.T., like them quite well. You should be happy with whatever you pick, but I would recommend getting 1/8 MOA clicks. I find 1/4 MOA to be too much movement for a rifle that shoots sub 1/4 MOA.

That being said, I currently own NONE.

All I shoot now on precision rifles are Sightrons. I sold ALL my Nightforce, Vortex, March (other then a 1-10x), IOR, S&B, Leupold and Swarovski higher end optics to buy a new house about 5 years ago and replaced them with Sightrons after we closed on the house. The 8-32x56 Sightron S3 with 1/8 MOA and the 1/8 MOA dot reticle can't be beat for what you pay for it for precision shooting. The 8-32x with the MOA2 reticle is great for long range stuff. I just wish they would offer that one with 1/8 MOA clicks!

Even if I had unlimited cash sitting around I really doubt I would be replacing all my Sightrons with Nightforce or any other scopes, I like the Sightrons that much. That being said, I do plan on buying a March 5-50x or maybe a 5-40x FFP eventually to go on my 338 Edge and 50 BMG.
    Last edited by geezerhood; 04-20-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Basic Member
    The nightforce will be fine, a lot of our rifle club members own them. However, I have Vortex Viper PST SFP and Sightron S3's 8 x 32 and shoot at 1000 yds. Sightrons are a great scope and I"m also happy with my Vortex Viper PST SFP 6x24. Have three of the Vortex and have replace the Leupolds with them. Get a 20 MOA Base, I use EGW and they work well.

Banned
    I have the 6-32 (sure on the 32) and I like it fine. My brother got one, I can't see real fine hair cross very well, large cross can't get on target.

I got the 1/8 Dot, works great. Figure I am good to 300 yds minimum, probably 600 (300 longest I will do, there is a 1000 yd range up North I may try if I get any good.

Leupold also will put their various dots in a scope but they don't have variables in that range, all fixed. I like to play with the X to get the dot steady but small area.

boltman13
    If you can wait the Vortex Golden Eagle has gotten rave reviews from the few who have used one, but they are not yet generally available, and there is a waiting list. Otherwise the Nightforce Benchrest is a very popular long range scope among F-class shooters. All scopes used in long range have at least a 20 MOA scope base and some even more. An aluminum base will not be a problem with the rifle you are using if it is of high quality. F-class shooters try to save as much weight as possible so they can max out barrel length and stiffness. Good luck.

Basic Member
    I have the NF Benchrest 12x42 with the NP-R2 recticle and it was well worth the money. As yobuck mentioned about elevation, it would be nice if the scope had about 10 more minutes of elevation travel. However, the glass IMO is worth the extra $400 over a PST or anything I've looked thru in the $800 price range. Obviously, the parallax adjustment on the 12x42 is up on the bell of the scope and is cumbersome to adjust if you are shooting prone, but once you get it set typically you don't have to change it. I got mine from Bruno's and they will knock a few dollars off if you lean on them a little bit.. Its hard to beat a NF, they are just solid optics...