Thread: Redding 22-243 dies

nuclabuyer

Redding 22-243 dies

I have a Shilen 22-243 and they made it a .250 neck. So when I turn the necks down far enought to chamber, -.001 at a time. I get it as close to perfect as I can. After shooting it my die just barely touches the case. I need the die a little tighter. Any Ideas about what I can use to get it to work. I was thinking a lee collet die. Just because it it a 22-243 win, no shoulder angle change. I didnt realize shilen's default neck would be pretty tight. I have ruined 20 Norma brass and 5 Nosler custom brass trying to get it to work right..

Re: Redding 22-243 dies

You need a bushing die to size the necks. Normal dies aren't going to touch them. A Lee collet die might work.

You could always ask Shilen to ream the neck to a no-turn diameter.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

82boy

I found that this is a common problem with Redding dies, at least in my experince with them. (On of another reason I don't like their dies.) You have two options, one is either sand down the bottom of the die, or two is to sand down the shell holder and permanently mate it to that die. I prefer the die myself. I start on a smooth surface like a plate of glass, I tape sand paper down to that surface and hold the die/shell holder flat on that surface and make figure 8's. I start with 400 grit paper ,and work down to 2000 grit. I usually make about 20 figure 8's on each grit of paper, and then check should bump. I like my dies to have about .002 of shoulder bump.

TOO Builder

geargrinder and 82boy both have good answers but I think for two different problems. I'm a bit confused now also.

When you mention that you need the die a little tighter is it that your die does not size the neck down enough or does not bump the shoulder back enough thus making the brass difficult to chamber? I'm thinking you mean the neck since you mentioned trying a Lee collet die.

I don't have any tight neck chambers so have never ran into a problem there however I have had the issue where the die will not size or bump the shoulder back enough. In that case I have done as 82boy reccommended however I like modifying the shell holder instead of the die. The outcome seems to be the same but if I were to botch a modification of one I would rather it be a cheap shell holder instead of an expensive die.

Good point. I was assuming he was talking about not sizing the neck.

I also agree with 82boy. I don't like Redding dies. Give me a Lee Deluxe Set any day.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

nuclabuyer

I am saying the the die doesnt touch the neck and doesnt resize it. I just bought another set of redding dies for a 260AI so I hope they work better then these..

thanks

your getting into "bushing" die territory.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor