Thread: Axis trigger fix from The Social Regressive on youtube

Basic Member

Thumbs Up Axis trigger fix from The Social Regressive on youtube

don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but it's good. The entire series on this project by the social regressive is a great watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYi01puP1kU

Basic Member
    Interesting video always cool to learn a new trick!!

Basic Member
    It boggles my mind to see the lengths that an unskilled person will go, to accomplish such a simple task.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

"New trick" nothing! That's what I've been doing. I know I'm as much a hack as that guy, but even dead soft shim stock has held up to the minimal stresses and abrasion that the shim receives for years in my guns. I also have not found that a flat shim is prone to failure where a bent shim might otherwise not be.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 03-11-2016 at 03:56 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    It boggles my mind to see the lengths that an unskilled person will go, to accomplish such a simple task.
    Sharpshooter, Can you please explain? I am an unskilled person (so far), I watched that video and was impressed with the changes he made to the sear. It seemed to work. Reading your comment I am left to wonder if there is a better way to achieve the same result. Or perhaps your were just being snarky. In the interests of those of us who are trying to learn, and looking for changes we can actually make ourselves, please elaborate on your comment. Maybe you will be able to show me a better way.

Thanks

Basic Member
    I can't speak for Sharpshooter, but after watching the video and reading his comment, I kinda had to chuckle a bit to myself, and I am no expert like Sharpshooter, by any means. I don't think the guy did anything wrong, it's just that he made the task so danged complicated and he went so far overboard with over kill to the point he was beating a dead horse to make his shim precise and trued around the edges of the trigger, etc. (Did you find the poetic joke there? )

What the heck was he trying to do? If you look at the old 3 screw triggers or Rifle Basix Sav-1 triggers or any other triger with adjustment for creep, you'll see a simple screw is used to push up on the bottom of the sear... I am not suggesting that drilling and tapping the trigger so as to add a screw is an easier solution, (it isn't) but if you look at what the screw does, it is exactly the same principal as adding the shim. Now, look at that screw and how the sear rides it and ask yourself if the factory and all these aftermarket triggers mfr's can get away with a simple screw, why must the shim he installs be so elegantly designed and carefully trimmed and honed to match the exact contour and shape of the underlying trigger? It isn't necessary. Just slap a piece of shim on there and call it good.

I think that's what Fred (Sharpshooter) is talking about.