Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem with ogive &oal with 223 bullets

theflatlander

Re: problem with ogive &oal with 223 bullets

Decide which bullet you are going to use, brand and weight. Take that bullet and start it into a case that allows the bullet to move. It needs to be snug enough to keep the bullet in place after you extract it but not so tight otherwise the bullet may stick into the rifling. Some people take a case and split the neck and do the same thing. It is whatever you can do repeatedly.

You chamber the case with the bullet in the neck. As you chamber it the rifling pushes on the bullet's ogive forcing the bullet back into the case. You need to do it a few times to get an average to make sure the rifling isn't hanging onto the bullet. Also, if the case is too tight the bullet can be forced into the rifling giving you an incorrect size.

Also, it depends on the ogive of that bullet. Bullets within the same box can and often do have different ogives. And different bullets, as in brand or weight, will definitely be different.

In order to get the best results you need to measure the distance to the ogive rather than OAL but OAL worked for me before I started measuring ogive. Before getting the stuff to measure the ogive I would seat mine far enough off the lands that a difference in ogive length wouldn't have caused a problem.

You need to do this each time you change the bullet's weight or brand or both. Never assume that bullets that are the same weight have the same exterior dimensions.

Dolomite
    [/quote]

whats the best way to go about splitting the neck of the case? I dint have any case loose enough to allow the bullet to slide properly wo getting jammed into the rifling

Budweiser360

Re: problem with ogive &oal with 223 bullets

hacksaw, small cutting disc on dremel etc....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12