Thread: Savage 111 accuracy issues

chrism

Savage 111 accuracy issues

Greetings
    I'm in need of some help/suggestions to see if I can get my beast to shoot straight! Its a 111 syn stock 7mmRM. I have shot 6 boxes factory, and 300 reloads thru it, and cant get any better than 4" at 50yds!, average is 6" at 50yds.

I checked the barrel that its not touching the stock, both cold and hot.... took the stock off and checked the few things I could...nothing... everything is tight and as it should be..tweaked the trigger too

Tried 140gr federal fact, then premiums, then 140gr win supreme, and 150gr supreme (ouch $$$)....nada.....
    Reloaded with rl19, rl22, and 4350, cool loads to max loads (2550fps thru 3100fps) using 140 sierras and 160 accubonds with all powders....tried different brass and primers with same loads in the process....nada again!

Also thru this process tried the factory scope (simmons) that came with it, then a Nikon monarch 3x9, now it has a Bushnell 3200 4x12... still no change... Changed weaver bases to burris(?) and same thing...no change

Did I miss something? any suggestions? It enflames me at how poor this gun shoots, I cant hit the 8x12" paper taget at 100yds!!!!!!! Bummer, especially since my stevens 200 223 will put all bullets in the same hole at 100yds (26.5 varget with Nosler 60gr ball tip)

Help and Thanks!

Basic Member

Re: Savage 111 accuracy issues

Something very bad wrong there.
    If this is a fairly new gun call Savage.
    If not check barrel crown and find somebody with a
    bore scope. Something has got to be wrong with that
    barrel in my opinion.

Something very bad wrong there.
    Call Savage!

hailstone

I'll give you credit for persistance. Don't believe I would have been that patient with such a rifle. What the other posters have commented makes most sense. However should Savage decline to do anything what then? My thoughts center on muzzle crown -- nicked, not correctly done -- something along those lines. Another possibility is very long free bore before rifling engagement. This is real wild thought but it did happen too my brother in his Browning BLR. Check the centering of the rifle bore at the muzzle. My brother's BLR was drilled off center and was visible to the naked eye. How it ever got by quality control don't know. First shot would be on target, second shot 3-4 inches off with third shot who knows where. He should have returned it to Browning but instead traded for another make of rifle in the same caliber.

I've never had good results with the Reloader series of powder. IMR 4350 is very much a universal powder for many firearms. It works well in most rifles but maybe not the top load powder. In your caliber I've used WW760 or H414 basically the same powder today but were some differences years ago. Works well for my rifles in several calibers in addition to the 7mm.

Before I called Savage I would check the screw tightness on the scope bases and rings, ring to base. There are parameters for all. Rings usually 18-20 inch/lbs., ring to base 35-40 inch/lbs.
    Now how are you shooting it-off hand,bipod, sand bags,or a rest with sand bag in the rear(does make a difference).
    Is the barrel clean,if not scrub it out and use copper solvent then reclean and run a little oil on a patch then a dry patch after this shoot a few sighters to foul the barrel slightly and then shoot for group.
    I would use 160gr.sierra MK and a load that is right in the middle of the range for that bullet(probably the imr 4350)and work from there.If you still can't get a group by all means call Savage @ 1 800 370-0708 and tell them you have a lemon.
    My custom shop 7mag with 20" barrel shoots well under MOA all day and when it was built they test fired with 160gr. bullet so that is where I started except I use imr 4895.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

chrism

Yes, the barrel was cleaned and scrubbed, bases were torqued to spec, fired a few rounds before trying to group, and all fired from a lead-sled....still made no diff. Nothing with the bore/crown I can see with the naked eye!
    The gun is off to Savage tomorrow - one call to Savage and they will look at it....I must say it was impressive customer service!
    Keep ya posted as to what they find
    Thanks to all who replied!

longpoker

Has any one have a M11 long range hunter in 6.5-.284 Norma?, I have had one on order for 4 months and have contacted many dealers and Savage. Still can,t find any.
    Let me Know if you own one and how it shoots etc.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by longpoker
    Has any one have a M11 long range hunter in 6.5-.284 Norma?, I have had one on order for 4 months and have contacted many dealers and Savage. Still can,t find any.
    Let me Know if you own one and how it shoots etc.

Thanks.
    Not nice to try and high jack a thread, especially on your first post.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow