Thread: Indiana's new rifle law, I'm in the market for a .243.

navistar82

Indiana's new rifle law, I'm in the market for a .243.

Indiana announced a few rounds will be legal till 2020 on private land only. I'm looking for a .243 in either the Model 11 International Trophy Predator Hunter, Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter (unsure of the difference between these two) and the Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1. From some light reading the difference between all three is the accustock on the 10. Is this an accurate statement, are the actions, bolts the same quality?

Now, I have no interest in changing the stock on the one I get, how it comes from factory is how it will stay. So is the accustock worth it to pay the extra $$ and be done or save the money and get the either of the model 11's with the same possible accuracy...and what is the difference between the model 11's? I like heavier barreled rifles so its between these 3 rifles, this will be for mainly deer, then plinking and possibly yotes.

Thanks
    Last edited by navistar82; 04-08-2016 at 09:32 PM.

This is just my opinion but I would look more toward a 270win. Those deer pretty big up there. The first year I hunted in KY I used papa's .243win. Shot a nice 8 point with interbond at 125yards. Perfect pumphouse shot heart was pretty torn up when I field dressed him, but he had ran off nearly 150 yards and almost got across the fence to the neighbors property. I shot 3 more does that trip and each went a good ways after shot. I decided I didn't like that and moved up to a .270win. I have yet to have any of the 8 deer the .270 has killed go more then 15yards. I shoot 150gr hornady SST's that I handload. And yes it is hell on yotes. I know the .243 has been killed deer for many many years in the this country, but I just like clean quick kills.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

A 243 with a 100 gr bullet in the right spot should be plenty for a whitetail. The model 11 is probably a package deal w/scope?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

navistar82
    It's not one of the legal rounds, .243, 30/30, .308, 30-06 and .300 something, it doesn't stipulate what, mag, blackout, don't really know. Either way I'm looking into a 243, no need for anything bigger where I hunt, shots aren't crazy long and deer aren't crazy big, biggest buck I've taken field dressed 210#. Im sure the .308 is the pick for everybody, but I grew up using deer slugs and muzzleloaders and have since started using the .357 max in my encore. Found that extra recoil isn't needed to kill a deer, my max kicks like a .410 shotshell and smokes deer. I like that round a lot and will keep the rifle setup and hand it down to one of my sons. I shoot double lung, never had a deer run out of sight.

On Savage's website both model 11's are a package deal, they look identical but one is called international trophy predator hunter while the other is just trophy predator hunter.

Thanks
    Last edited by navistar82; 04-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Basic Member
    IIRC, the International is strictly that... sold outside of the US. The 10 has a fluted barrel along with the accustock. The accustock is nice, but the regular tupperware stock on the 10 or 11 should be quite functional and is a beefier stock than comes on the Axis line.

The brief looking around I did suggests that the centerfire rifle proposals for Indiana were Not approved.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

navistar82
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    The brief looking around I did suggests that the centerfire rifle proposals for Indiana were Not approved.
    They tried to pass a full rifle law starting for the season of 2015...243 and up, but it got shot down. Indiana is now trying the 5 calibers I mentioned as a trial period until 2020 on private and only.

This was updated a few days ago, this one states its the 300 blackout. They elaborated more on the calibers and its opened up quite a bit...as long as its in the 243(6mm) or .30(7.62) area, nothing in between.

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar_dnr...cate=syndicate

Well congratulations are in order.
    I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish with that" list" because it looks about as random as things banned under the 1994 "Assault weapons" ban to me.
    The .243, .300 Win mag and .300RUM is legal but the .25-06 and .270 are not?
    That makes no sense and defies all logic to me.
    Of the calibers on the list in the link you posted a 30-06 (or .308 win if you want less recoil) would be on the top of my list.
    Super versatile with a dizzying array of bullet weights and styles, that and the fact that deer beg to be shot with a .30 caliber.
    Good luck and congratulations.

Here's the list you provided
    Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

navistar82
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Well congratulations are in order.
    I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish with that" list" because it looks about as random as things banned under the 1994 "Assault weapons" ban to me.
    The .243, .300 Win mag and .300RUM is legal but the .25-06 and .270 are not?
    That makes no sense and defies all logic to me.
    I agree to that bigtime, I was hoping for at least a 25-06, 260 or 7mm-08 to be legal.

Basic Member
    With that random, makes no sense list, we can clearly see what lobbyists do for a living and why so many laws are screwed up. Gotta remember that most any law and the interpreting regulation is written to favor those that have the influence or the money to buy influence.

Basic Member
    I've been in aviation the past 40 years and have delt daily with the Code of Federal Regulations. One thing became apparent in dealing with questionable/nonsensical details of the CFR is that the people hired to actually write the code are mostly English majors, many times freshly minted, and have absolutly no personal knowledge or experience about what they are writing.

Before the governments turn towards hiring college grads to write code, it was written by experts in the field, people with actual years/decades of experience and knew of what they wrote. In other words, they chose their words much more carefully, i.e. "remove" a part, and not "disassemble" a part. The two are similar, but require completely different actions be taken.

If you're lucky enough to find some code written half a century ago, you'll immediately see the difference. It actually make sense, and as you can see from the Indiana law which makes no(n) sense, those whom they employ to write code know not of what they write.

Warrick
    I have been following this law sense it first came up in the house for consideration. The funny thing is , this version that the DNR came out with makes a lot more since than what the Govener signed. The original bill only stated .243 .308 30/30 30/06 and .300 . It was very gray as to what the .300 meant , and how it was going to be interpreted.

The the list above is just an example of what you can hunt with. But as the law is and is interpreted you can use any round 1.6 inches or longer and fires a 6 mm / .243 or 7.62 mm / .308.