Thread: 30-30 load recommendations for Savage 340?

30-30 load recommendations for Savage 340?

I've been shooting 30-30 in lever guns for nearly 40 years, but just recently bought a 340 in 30-30 and would like to hear what anyone else has tried and liked in a 30-30 bolt gun. I am mostly interested in some light plinking loads and varmint loads. I typically use my 444 for deer these days, but it would be nice to take a deer with this old girl too. I'm not sure of the exact model, as I haven't removed the scope mount to see what's under it.[IMG] I appreciate any input anyone has to offer. I tried a "search" for 30-30, but being new here, I'm not sure I did it right, because I got nothing. Thanks again! [/IMG]

There's a ton of loads on Ammoguide.com -- http://ammoguide.com/?catid=95

You can use pointed bullets in that rifle! That means there's bunches of bullets you can select from.

This link indicates that lead-core expanding bullets of about 125 - 130 grains are good for even the heaviest North American deer: Ideal Bullet Weight

The link also indicates that lead-free hunting bullets weighing 75 - 90 grains will also work, should you prefer to go lead-free.

Grab one or more of the bullets weighing 130 grains and less and you will find that rifle shoots rather flat out to the most common medium game distances.

I will certainly check it out. I have over a dozen reloading manuals from my beginning, a tad over 20 years back. They offer quite a few options, I would prefer to hear from some 340 shooters with a pet load or two to get me started off on the right foot, so to speak. Thanks for the Ammoguide link, I forgot about them.

Basic Member
    Google "340 Savage" and "Savage 30-30 bolt action" for the reloading information you are looking for. The stock looks in nice condition, was it redone.

P.S. From looking at your photo above you need to cut the undergrowth from around your deck to get clearer and longer shots from the deck.
    (or sell the rifle and buy a lawn mower)

Bazinga!

Basic Member
    That is a beautiful stock on that rifle. I hunted with a Springfield version when I was a kid which had a lighter colored stock. I finally found one like it and snagged it but, if it wasn't for pure sentimental reasons, I'd try to find a stock like the one you have.

Don't know if it was redone or not, but I think it may have been. That is the photo that made me decide to buy it. The previous owner said it liked 165 gr lead, but I want to try some 110-130 grain bullets. Not sure of the twist either. We're they all the same? I plan on slugging the barrel to see if it's the same as my Marlin 30-30's.

Biged, I have plenty of lawn mowers, not my yard anyway, but thanks for worrying about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraynky View Post
    I will certainly check it out. I have over a dozen reloading manuals from my beginning, a tad over 20 years back. They offer quite a few options, I would prefer to hear from some 340 shooters with a pet load or two to get me started off on the right foot, so to speak. Thanks for the Ammoguide link, I forgot about them.
    I wasn't sure if '340' refers to the rifle model and their shooters or to the number of 30-30 loads on Ammoguide.com.

Interesting coincidence?