Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt close tension

Randyc

Bolt close tension

Hey guys and gurus of the barrel nut,
    question,
    how much bolt close tension is normal?
    from empty chamber to factory ammo to handloads FL sized?
    or what factors affect bolt closure resistance?

Cocking force is mostly discussed on the opening side where the cocking pin runs up the ramp and sets in the pocket, Fred Moreo introduced us to many of the timing issues with savage actions. To answer your question the lug ramps and the process where there is a hand off between the sear and the trigger, part of the timing process that involves the cocking ramp transition area as well as the gap between the sear and the trigger mating surfaces.

If I missed it or did not explain it correctly someone please set the record straight.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

It should close quite easily, like using just your pinky. If not, the first 4 things that come to mind as far as closing tension goes, are the distance from the bolt face to the barrel, the bolt face to the case shoulder, the length and diameter of the case neck, and the relationship between the bullet bearing surface and the rifling lands.

If if the chamber is reamed too deeply, the bolt face could be dragging on the breechface which would add resistance to closing. In the second example, a case that is too long from base to shoulder would need to be "crushed" in order to close the bolt. In the third case, the long neck would be shoved into the throat of the rifle, effectively crimping the neck on the bullet during closing while a thick neck would need to be forced in adding neck tension, and fourth - shoving the bullet into the lands during closing. Most of those issues can be seen either with the naked eye or by smoking the bullet, neck and shoulder over a candle.

Im sure there are more I've overlooked. Like a front action screw that's too long.....
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 04-07-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Randyc
    Thanks guys for the reply, as always great info on here.
    I have put much thought into something to "see" where the case and bullet is making contact. Hadn't came up with "smoking" over a candle. That is a great idea and might help explain what's going on. I am using Hornady virgin brass.
    My build,
    savage 12 single feed
    7mm08 custom barrel (trying a bison gun works )
    Berger 168 VLD'S
    set hesdspace at app. .004
    i am using a dummy round to get OAL
    have some factory Federal Fusion 140's
    all add some "weight " to the closing force.
    Handloads seem to have more weight than the factory.
    Hornady brass has been tried out of box and FL sized. Same result.
    I will use the smoke and see where I am, will get back with you guys tomorrow.

Randyc
    Should it close as easily on a round as it does with no round in chamber?

Almost as easily.

If you close the bolt on an empty chamber, with the rifle already cocked (firing pin not protruding) and then open it, does it also open hard?
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I wonder how many chambers have been cut on Bison's reamer.....

You'll find the problem, just add smoke.

Randyc
    Checked empty chamber close again,
    compared it to factory round,
    Went back to reloading manual to double check case length, MAX is 2.035- out of the box, Hornady is 2.030- case in point for the example was used in a savage 12VSS, trimmed to 2.025. I sized and trimmed a case to the 2.025, no bullet, tried it and same thing, has about two times the tension as an empty chamber.

All atempts were with the trigger cocked and safety in on position. Bolt lift is easy up to the cocking point of travel.
    You guys mentioned flaws in the bolt and cocking mechanism, what can be done to help these flaws?

Randyc
    Would a small base die set make a difference?

Randyc
    Smoke showed me the problem, I can't post a pic , but the base (big side toward the primer end of case) of the shoulder is touching the throat. The very tip end or edge.
    Can this be tight headspace?
    i am pretty confident the headspace is .004

If you're talking about the junction between the case body and shoulder, that's usually caused by a seating die that's set too deep.
    Run a case through your sizing die, leave the bullet out of it, smoke it, and see how the bolt closes on it.

Can you describe the process for checking head space. You are confident of the .004, how did you arrive at this number?

Randyc
    I used a Forster go gauge with a piece of .004 tape on the base for a no go. Bolt closes easily on go, will not on the no go. Very clear difference.

Basic Member
    So just to be clear it's only happening when there is a round and not on an empty chamber? Sounds like a headspace problem if that's the case. Pickup a set of the Hornady headspace gages that measure off your shoulder and attach to calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesturf View Post
    So just to be clear it's only happening when there is a round and not on an empty chamber? Sounds like a headspace problem if that's the case. Pickup a set of the Hornady headspace gages that measure off your shoulder and attach to calipers.
    Yep

Basic Member
    You need a way to measure the headspace of your brass. Either grab one of those sets or in a pinch I've even used nine millimeter brass. As long as you use the same one each time it should be pretty accurate. Fire a round and measure that and then adjust your sizing die to bump 2 thousands of an inch. You should be good to go. If not then there are other issues with your chamber or brass but, hopefully not

That will work. Compare your sized brass to your head space gauge. You could also just make minor adjustments in your die on one piece of brass until it fits being your head space is set correctly..

Basic Member
    That's another way too. I just recommend using gages and getting actual measurements because its hard to tell how much you're actually adjusting. You don't want to be sizing too much and run the risk of stretching your brass so much after 3 firings your case heads are separating. Just adjust in very small increments. Every 5 degrees of rotation gets you about .001" change in the shoulder length (headspace). You shouldn't need more than 2 or 3 thou or you're doing too much.

Do the 9mm trick on both your go gauge and your unfired brass. The brass should be shorter. You would not be the first guy this week to have a bad headspace gauge from the manufacturer.
    Since it's also occurring with factory loads, it sounds like your headspace is a bit tight. You could easily set your headspace to the factory loads and be on your way.
    The barrel is threaded at 20 threads per inch. One full turn of the barrel is equal to .050". 7.5 degrees of barrel rotation is equal to .001, so 15 degrees would be .002", etc.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 04-08-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The barrel is threaded at 20 threads per inch. One full turn of the barrel is equal to .050". 7.5 degrees of barrel rotation is equal to .001, so 15 degrees would be .002", etc.
    I was talking about setting up reloading dies which are 14 tpi.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesturf View Post
    I was talking about setting up reloading dies which are 14 tpi.
    Just clarifying the barrel thread/headspace relationship. No worries.

Basic Member
    When was the last time you cleaned and greased your bolt lugs? Can't hurt. If dry it feels a lot worse than it is.

Randyc
    Yes only when there is brass in the chamber, ran a piece of brass through the FL sizing die and still does same thing, it's not really tight but about twice the resistance of the empty chamber.

Randyc
    What is max headspace distance that is acceptable?
    i thought the .004 would be plenty, .......

Randyc
    Just so I'm clear, the Hornady headspace gauge is different than the OAL comparator?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast