Thread: .223 for coyote

Leatherman835

.223 for coyote

Hi folks, I'm entirely new and am having a hard time finding what I want as many rifles I've looked at in the past have been discontinued. I could use some advice.

I had really wanted the model 10 precision carbine and I've seen others with 10 round magazines or detachable box magazines. My wish list would be an accustock and accutrigger with detachable box in .223. On the Savage site, just a few models come up, a weather warrior, the predator hunter in max camo, and a third I don't remember. For the price of those few rifles, I've considered going with the hog hunter and purchasing a Hogue pillar bedded stock and forgetting about the box magazine. I saw another model that comes with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope reasonably priced around $570 but again not a bedded stock. Another option is to keep watching the auction sites to see what comes up.

Is there anything else that you folks here would recommend? Thank you in advance!

Leatherman835
    One model I referenced above is a packaged deal model 11 TRP XP without accustock and another I saw on Dicks Sporting Goods website is the model 11 VT that says its dual pillar bedded with a heavy varmint barrel and includes a basic bushnell scope. But it doesn't mention the caliber. Buds guns has one, part # 19126 model 10 FP SR with 22" threaded barrel for $670 but no mention of stock and it may also be a top load only magazine.

Basic Member
    Here's a full list of what they build, excluding special purchases by Dicks, Cabelas, etc. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/allfirearms/

Also check out their custom build dept. You can get a custom build for a lot less than a speciality shop or gunsmith, like a model 10FCP-SR in 6.5 creedmore, normally offered in 308 only. Although for 2016, Savage is offering more models in 6.5, so it may be a "stock item" by now.

You may be able to get a 223 in the barrel/stock choice you like.

Leatherman835
    Thanks, I'll have to give them a call and see what that would take!

Leatherman835
    I believe I've decided to go with the model 10 TRP XP. Its not an accustock but it has the detachable box magazine and comes with the basic Nikon 3-8x40 with BDC reticle and my local FFL can get for less than anywhere else I've seen it. For the price, I'll add a Hogue pillar bedded stock in the future. The scope alone retails for $150. For a coyote gun I can be quite happy with this.

I have a couple weeks before I'm ready to order so it's subject to change. :)

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM
    Leatherman look at this model, I know it is twice the cost but all you need after the purchase is a scope and mounts. the laminate stock is far and away better than the Hogue, it has a varmint barrel that comes in either 1:7 or 1:9 twist, and IMO is a much better gun than the others you mention.
    As for the scope you in all likelihood will not be happy with the package gun scope and will curse it from day one and end up replacing with something much better any way.
    The seven twist would be my choice for it ability to shoot all the different weight bullets from light to the heaviest (sometimes coyotes are a long way off and the heavy bullets are what you need).
    Don't let the MSRP scare you they seldom sell for that especially if you buy the whole set up from your regular dealer.
    All this just to throw another wrench into your thought process.
    And by the way welcome to the brotherhood.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Leatherman835
    Thanks Froggy, that is an amazing looking rifle! Retail would still be more than I can do right now. I'm in a position I'm gonna have to build as I go. As long as the action and barrel is solid, I can upgrade over time.

Good lookin out and I appreciate it, that gets me thinking and I'll have to try and get a hold of the custom shop again.

Leatherman835
    I just put a bid on a model 10 carbine. Accustock, accutrigger, box magazine. Meets all on my wish list.