Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for parts is depressing

Basic Member

I've been waiting on my barrel from Apache since February and just got my update the other day but it's going to my old address in Nashville. I live in Springfield Missouri now. Jim was able to get usps to do an interception for $22 and it should be to me shortly!

Basic Member
    Got my .284 barrel from X-Caliber in 6 weeks. Still waiting on action, stock, and reamer. That's OK, it's like waiting for Christmas when you're 9.

Basic Member
    That makes me feel better that SSS is still shipping stuff. I haven't heard back from the last two emails I sent their way. I was told 4-6 weeks back in March and that's long past. Just waiting on SSS and Jim and I'll have my rifle ready.

GrumpyGuns
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerider103 View Post
    I've been waiting on my barrel from Apache since February and just got my update the other day but it's going to my old address in Nashville. I live in Springfield Missouri now. Jim was able to get usps to do an interception for $22 and it should be to me shortly!
    Awesome. Looking forward to seeing the build thread.

Got a notice friday that my go gauge shipped from PTG, loaded up 100 rounds for fire forming, and ordered the AI dies. We are moving in a month so hope that a; the barrel ships before then, or b; I have to give Jim a forwarding address. We shall see.

GrumpyGuns
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguyshm View Post
    That makes me feel better that SSS is still shipping stuff. I haven't heard back from the last two emails I sent their way. I was told 4-6 weeks back in March and that's long past. Just waiting on SSS and Jim and I'll have my rifle ready.
    Mine is coming from Jim at Apache Gun Works

After waiting for barrel, for 3 1/2 months, for one that was to be here in 3 months, contacted barrel maker. Was told shop work order couldn't be found. Supplier offered to expedite barrel & I accepted. Have everything except barrel.

GrumpyGuns
    Glad to hear they are making it right.

Got my go gauge today. Now just waiting for dies to show up and the barrel.

Got my bolt body today from SSS....but I either ordered the wrong base or they sent the wrong one (probably my error).

But we're closer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called Richard's today. Two weeks out. They said it would be 8 weeks. Seems they are on schedule. We will see.

My satern barrel is in fluting then to rifling. No date for that yet.

At least it is not a year or more like it would be for a custom rifle.

Banned
    Yep, barrel ordered, not in stock, other parts for the first barrel change, sigh. Get some of it I can start playing while I wait for the new barrel (practicing!)

GrumpyGuns
    Deadeye that is slick looking.

So here is the list so far
    PTG 223 AI go gauge
    Weaver 20MOA base
    Wheeler barrel nut wrench
    Lee 223 remington AI dies

Last thing needed is the barrel lol.

Banned
    If I get my receiver wrench (and nut wrench) I can at least practice taking current barrel off and on!

GrumpyGuns
    Haha that is one way to stay busy. I have been spending more time at the range with the current set brushing up so when the new barrel gets here I know I will be shooting up to snuff

Banned
    I have two of these, if it goes as planned both should be available. Not sure the pencil 30-06 barrel is worth pursuing, TE was good but MW was a bit more than I would expect. Not awful but it looks pretty much non fired. Shoots pretty wild, good for various 5 rounds and 4 good, but they come in random places, not like it heats up and starts going out. Barrel is kept cool anyway.

I am working on a 308 barrel for the 111 just to play with and cross test, its get the HB 06 when it comes in.

Kind if interesting that the drop in barrels are not in stock! either they are too popular or they are not normal configuration

Basic Member
    I honestly think at this point the misses rifle will be finished before I get my barrel and action here. Sent the action in back in March, and ordered the 300wm barrel back in late January. It's driving me nuts.

All I'm waiting on for the better halfs rifle is the stock, a laminate being made by Richard's Microfit, and to purchase the last few pieces. Barrel is here, a nice 6mm BR, just need to buy the nut and lug, and a trigger.

Should be interesting to see what is finished first.. probably aught to put the barrels and stocks up for sale...

GrumpyGuns
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I have two of these, if it goes as planned both should be available. Not sure the pencil 30-06 barrel is worth pursuing, TE was good but MW was a bit more than I would expect. Not awful but it looks pretty much non fired. Shoots pretty wild, good for various 5 rounds and 4 good, but they come in random places, not like it heats up and starts going out. Barrel is kept cool anyway.

I am working on a 308 barrel for the 111 just to play with and cross test, its get the HB 06 when it comes in.

Kind if interesting that the drop in barrels are not in stock! either they are too popular or they are not normal configuration
    Sounds like maybe some one spent a lot of time cleaning from the muzzel.

Banned
    It does not appear to be shot that much. Virtually new in fact. I cleaned the chamber, dramatically less crud than the new 12FV (which has been regularly cleaned but not with a chamber brush)

Of course you have to be into mil surplus to have tools like that on hand!

I did find the front action screw loose so it may have been given up on accuracy wise. Interesting the 12FV also came with a loose front action screw.

I honestly think at this point the misses rifle will be finished before I get my barrel and action here. Sent the action in back in March, and ordered the 300wm barrel back in late January. It's driving me nuts.

All I'm waiting on for the better halfs rifle is the stock, a laminate being made by Richard's Microfit, and to purchase the last few pieces. Barrel is here, a nice 6mm BR, just need to buy the nut and lug, and a trigger.

Should be interesting to see what is finished first.. probably aught to put the barrels and stocks up for sale...

I too am waiting for my stock from Richard's for my 6mm BR. Supposed to ship next week. We will see.

I chose the bench rest style.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    I too am waiting for my stock from Richard's for my 6mm BR. Supposed to ship next week. We will see.

I chose the bench rest style.
    I went with the Marksman with a 3" forend in purple sapphire. She will have to decide after she finally see's it what color we will duracoat it. I can't seem to figure it out. They couldn't do the 1/16" extra for inletting, so I'm going to have to get creative. May just pay a local GS to take a whack at it. Tough telling at this point, but I just want to get it together for her. What brand barrel did you end up going with?

SHM

Banned
    I assume directed to M12LRS, but will chime in.

I have two coming. Shilen and an X Caliber. Seem to be about same quality, X Caliber is available, the Shilen in a bull 30-06 is going to take 6 weeks to 2 months.

I want to play with 308 anyway so the X caliber is good and eventually will go on the 12VF.

I went with the Marksman with a 3" forend in purple sapphire. She will have to decide after she finally see's it what color we will duracoat it. I can't seem to figure it out. They couldn't do the 1/16" extra for inletting, so I'm going to have to get creative. May just pay a local GS to take a whack at it. Tough telling at this point, but I just want to get it together for her. What brand barrel did you end up going with?

SHM
    I have a shilen select match bull in 6br and one in 6.5 creedmoor. Going to make a switchbarrel out.of it. Start with the 6mm. Load development should be pretty easy with that one.

I ordered full inletting with a 1 1/4" barrel channel. Like you I am curious to see what I get.

Banned
    Also curious if the select produces better results than the match

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Also curious if the select produces better results than the match
    probably not. I have some shilen match ar barrels that are real shooters. It is really the luck of the draw with barrels whether they are just good or exceptional. Odds go up with higher quality but it is still a crapshoot.

I prefer bartlien and kraiger myself but NSS had these available so I gave them a try.

Banned
    Shilen seems to be a good to very good barrel day in day out. McGowen I think has overcome their issues (pretty tipsy turnvey moving form Chicago to Montana, setting up and getting going obviously) - shades of Remington taken over RI old machinery and trying to get ti working in WWII!

The X caliber should be interesting. I doubt I could shoot an exceptional barrel any better than a good one (or even a lesser one that that!). Good is great.

GrumpyGuns
    My barrel from Apache arrived yesterday! Now I have everything I need now just need to put it together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast