I've been a long range shooter for 15 years. I've always felt that your equipment had to be top-notch, or you'd run into problems. As an example, regardless of which rifle you shoot, if the chamber is not concentric with the bore bullets are started crooked and as a result when they exit the barrel they do not rotate around the bullet's center, but rather the bullet "wobbles". I know anyone reading this who goes long knows what the equipment requirements are. Additionally, you need a chronograph, a ballistics program and an optic.

My purpose in asking this question is to ascertain what scope the long range shooters use. A scope that is not reliable in its adjustments, and/or won't return to zero, just makes the whole exercise of shooting long range very frustrating. I used to believe one had dump 3K or 4K on a scope to enable one to shoot out to 1000 yards and beyond. As it turns out, there are lemons in the Alpha scopes as well. It doesn't matter how pretty the image is, if you've dumped 5.6 mils into your elevation (you think), and it turns out that the scope was not adjusting 1 click for every .1 mm, the difference at extended ranges could cause you to completely miss your target.

What I'd like to hear from are guys who are going long with affordable glass, and tell which optic you are using. Ranges and calibers would be useful as well.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone who takes a little time to reply to this post.