Thread: Savage model 11 trophy hunter question

Therrm

Savage model 11 trophy hunter question

First of all sorry if this was answered before. I've tried to search but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I recently purchased my first savage rifle. A model 11 trophy hunter in 22-250. I wasn't looking for this particular rifle but I have always wanted a 22-250 and I got this one for a song so I couldn't pass it up. I got rid of the nikon 3x9 and put a vortex 4-16 x 50 on it. I also changed out the stock to a bell and Carlson medalist A2 and converted it to a blind mag. My first intentions were to machine out the stock and keep the DBM. I changed my mind, at least for the moment because I figured I would never need more than 5 rounds at a time, didn't want to change the integrity of the stock, and didn't want to spend another $150 for bottom metal and magazine. That was until I tried to load up a full magazine in the new blind mag. Before all I have had was remington 700 with a hinged floor plate or AR style rifles. My savage is a pain in the button to loaf a magazine. If read about the minor inconvenience of unloading a blind mag, having to cycle the bolt, and I am fine with that. But to load it I have to put the case bullet first into the chamber, push the follower down, pull the cartridge back into the mag, and then hold that cartridge down as I do the same thing with the second case. Is there something I'm missing? Can I change some parts to make this easier? On my Remingtons it's easy to drop a cartridge in, push down, and it's locked in place, ready to be chambered or ready for another round on top of it. At this point I'm thinking it's worth it to machine for a DBM.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum
    You should be able to push the rounds into the mag without much trouble by setting on top of mag feed lips and pushing down
    It can be a little trouble due to the scope but set the round on mag lips and push straight down
    Make sure you do not have the round too far back that the shell is hitting the back of the mag when your trying to install
    If that does not do it I would check to make sure that the mag is setting in the stock correctly. A L clip is usually needed to keep mag in correct position
    Feed lips on mag should be centered below bolt and just enough clearance to clear the bolt head when cycling
    You can also use shims or epoxy putty
    I hope this helps, you have a good rifle
    Jack
    Last edited by JW; 04-06-2016 at 06:13 AM.

Therrm
    Works, thanks. I didn't think the feed lips would separate for the cartridge to go through. I was trying to insert them the way I did when it was a DBM.

Basic Member
    Good deal
    glad you got it going
    Jack

you can push them down on the dbm as well.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]