Thread: ammo for .308 axis

Dennis72

ammo for .308 axis

Hi, im a new guy here, Indiana just approved rifles for deer hunting next season so i went over to gander mountain today and ordered a left hand axis .308 (b-day present for myself). i was wondering what brand ammo you guys have had the best groups with in the axis .308? also wanting to know if medium scope mounts work fine on the axis, i read that the bolt handle hits the ocular piece if they are too low, i have already ordered the 2 piece weaver basses, just need the rings now. Thanks

Basic Member
    I bet if you google "best ammo for 308 Axis" that you will find more info than you can read in one night.

SHADOWofDEATHx3
    Hornady SMK 168. Could start with cheap fmj, give you field time for practice.

Dennis72
    Quote Originally Posted by SHADOWofDEATHx3 View Post
    Hornady SMK 168. Could start with cheap fmj, give you field time for practice.
    great idea, i would love to find some cheap rounds to at least get me on paper.

SHADOWofDEATHx3
    Walmart has Perfecta brand, from Fiocchi around $12.

Dennis72
    Quote Originally Posted by SHADOWofDEATHx3 View Post
    Walmart has Perfecta brand, from Fiocchi around $12.
    Thanks so much for that info. hope my local walmart has some, i have been looking at the cabelas and BPS websites shopping and have not found anything that cheap, will check walmart tomorrow!

Dennis72
    do you guys really break in your barrels like...fire one round clean,fire 2 rounds clean, exc... i did that once years ago on a new beretta 92 barrel i bought, i didnt notice any difference in accuracy over my old barrel. Thanks

Basic Member
    Not sure if your 'thinking' of reloading buy several brands of ammo use a calliper with a bullet comparator and measure each bullet by blank - go shoot and see which ones give you tighter groups then compare to your list - this will give you a starting point - seating the bullet closer to the lands will produce tighter groups ( less of a bullet jump) - enjoy the Axis be prepared to outshoot guns that cost hundreds more.

Federal Fusion does well in my 308. Something between 150 to 180 grains.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    For deer hunting I use Hornady American Whitetail 150 gr in my Axis 308 and have been very pleased. It runs about $20 a box and on sale sometimes cheaper.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis72 View Post
    do you guys really break in your barrels like...fire one round clean,fire 2 rounds clean, exc... i did that once years ago on a new beretta 92 barrel i bought, i didnt notice any difference in accuracy over my old barrel. Thanks
    https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entri...-in-procedure-

Hi Dennis72. Welcome to the forum, Happy Birthday, and congratulations on the new rifle. My 308 likes the Perfecta ammo, as well as Federal. What ever you get, save your brass. You may not have any desire to reload at this point, but sometime soon you will. It just kind of happens. Enjoy.

Dennis72
    great info here, doesn't sound like the rifles are too picky about ammo, that makes me happy. the only dies i have are for .44 magnum/special, i may buy dies for the .308 one day. i am a little worried because when i ordered (and paid for) my gun yesterday the guy at gander said i should have a receipt in my email when i got home but i still have not received that or any emails from gander, but he did tell me the rifle should arrive on friday (day before my b-day), its tuff being a lefty, everything is always special order guns, bows, exc.... everywhere had righties in stock, but not a lefty within 500 miles of me. i think it will be worth the wait. Thanks

I would give the store a call to let them know that you didn't get a receipt, just to be on the safe side. I think you will like that rifle. I have a 111 in 30-06, and what used to be a .270 116, but is now a .308 with a few other mods. Love both of them.

Dennis72
    i also have a older left hand 110 in .30-06, i just wanted to try .308 as that is one cal i have never owned. i just went over to walmart and they had some perfecta 150gr soft point for about $16 a box, so i just bought one box. hopefully it will shoot well enuff to hunt with, if it does i will gladly buy some more of it.

Dennis72
    what do you guys think about using JB bore paste in a new barrel? once i bought an airgun that wouldnt shoot for anything i went around and around with it, checked all screws and bolts and everything else, then i decided to hit the bore with jb bore paste and groups got MUCH better, did it again and got even better, till i was totally satisfied with it.

Basic Member
    Shoot the rifle. And shoot it some more. Do barrel brake in. Then try some 168gn. Serria match king. In like federal gold medal.

Dennis72
    its my lucky day, my axis came in early! and no delay on nics check (i get delayed about half of the time i buy).

Basic Member
    Congratulations on early arrival.