Thread: Savage 10 still not ejecting 7mm SAUM with upgraded extractor/ejector kit.

lrshooting

Savage 10 still not ejecting 7mm SAUM with upgraded extractor/ejector kit.

Title kind of says it all. It looks like to me the side cut and relief on the action is slightly scraping the spent case so that when it tries to flip out, it binds up against the action and the bolt. If i tilt it sideways, itll eject :)

Im curious as to whether I just need to mill some off the bottom side of the ejection port or what. Its obviously not working as it is, and that looks like its the problem.

Basic Member
    Short or long action?

Basic Member
    Nevermind. Savage 10.

Basic Member
    Does cycling fast help at all?

Is it the correct extractor for a .540 case?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

What was the action originally chambered in? What changes have been made to it?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

lrshooting
    Everything looks to be correct. I took it shooting for the first time yesterday. It ejected 2 out of 20. They will partially eject some times. The extractor doesn't seem to be the problem. It will flip the shell backwards in the action. It seems like there is too much friction between the case and ejection port.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    What was the action originally chambered in? What changes have been made to it?
    308 originally. I put a ptg bolt head and upgrade kit for bolt head parts.

there is too much friction between the case and ejection port.
    This describes on of two things. The ejection pin spring is too strong or it is in the wrong location. There is a possibility that the extractor is incorrect or not functioning as well.

Remove the bolt. Take a picture of the bolt face and post it here.

Depress the ejector pin and let us know the level of difficulty.
    Place bolt in a plastic bag and remove the extractor and clean the hole, spring and ball. Reassemble and test for function.
    I'm certainly not the expert on this forum but this is where I would start.

Basic Member
    Another ''gotcha", the sharp corners on the leading edges of the lug races in the receiver ring. They tend to dig into and pull a case out of the extractor especially with the short fatties. Careful sticking your finger in there, sometimes they're sharp enough to draw blood!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Feeding and ejection of the short fat magnums has always been one of their draw backs, sort of the current version of the feeding problems with Ackley Improved cartridges. The advice to check you spring install as well as to hone and smooth the action and bolt parts are all good. Remember, the WSM is a LOT bigger around than the original 308 so it has to swing out of the ejection port in exactly the right spot.

lrshooting

Heres that picture of the PTG magnum bolt head. Im not sure what they are "suppose" to look like.

Ill try to get that action smoothed out on any edges that brass might contact on its way out. Ill see if that helps. I didn't get it brought down with me this week, so itll have to wait till at least friday.

I'd have to look at the 7 or 8 magnums I've got at home after I get off work, but I do not recall the ejector hole being that close to the center of the bolt head on any of them.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I think that is correct Hotolds. I have the controlled round feed and it works awesome.

Basic Member
    I bet that was originally a smaller bolt head that was opened up for magnum use.

I think you guys are spot on! I don't currently own a short mag, but that ejector should be more towards the edge of the bolt head IMHO

You might also take a Q-tip around the inside edge of the bolt face and look to see if it pulls fibers along the way.

Also does speed have any impact on ejecting the spent shells?

Its too hard to tell if it's in the correct place or not. It looks pretty close to the PTG.
    I will say though that the extractor looks different than the Savage extractors I'm using.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 04-12-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Basic Member
    The ejector pocket is in the same place on all bolt heads. Bill has it right, the case is wedging in the raceway, causing drag. The edge of the raceway needs to be opened up so the case doesn't snag or drag as it is pulled back.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

And that, as they say, is the rest of the story.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I bet that was originally a smaller bolt head that was opened up for magnum use.
    Appears to be even with my old four eyes look'n at it. Heck the ejector is dang near on the edge of a primer.

Doing rough quickie measurements, from the center of the pin hole of a 204-223 head to the center of the ejector ~.160", from the edge of a primer pocket to the center of the ejector ~.080" . Add 1/2" of the diameter of a LRP moves the ejector another ~.017" closer to the edge of the pocket.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

lrshooting
    Okay so maybe I should try a stock savage mag head and true it up, lap it in, and see what happens?

Not yet. I'd knock that corner down that Fred identified first and see what happens.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Not yet. I'd knock that corner down that Fred identified first and see what happens.
    That would be the easiest and most destructive thing :). I think ill take a file to her this weekend if I have time. Ill see if I cant get some cold blue just to protect it temporarily. Its gonna be stripped this summer and Im gonna cerakote it so i dont need permanent.