Thread: model 1904 question

seve

model 1904 question

Hello Savage people. I have a question about a little 1904 22. mine has been in the family for many years and it used to have a piece of leather attached to the stock that wrapped around the trigger guard and had a small hole that went over the bolt handle. Over the years the leather degraded and has fallen off and I wonder if anyone has ever seen one like this before, or perhaps someone just made it themself. It was on there so long the finish is different you can see the outline of the old leather strap. Its only function would be to keep the bolt from opening. No picture on google seems to show one.

Trying to decide to make a new one, or just remove the 2 little nails that held it in place and fill the holes.

Thanks Seve

Basic Member
    It sounds like an interesting safety device. I'd like to see pictures at some time old/new.

seve
    Hi Indigo22 it is a really nice old RF. I am new to this site probably cant post pics yet that seems to be the way. If you can I would send you a pic to post. PM me an email and I will send. I have asked the same question on a few forums and lots of views but no answers. I guess a lot of people have never seen one. I wondered if the leather was for example for guns sold by sears or something like that. probably to keep the bolt closed while walking in the bush I guess. Or someone just put it on. Unfortunate there is 2 little nails left behind. So I have to make a new one or pull the nails and fill the holes.

Basic Member
    Here are the pictures seve sent me to post...

The rear sight is something you don't usually see on the 1904's.

It's a factory sight, just less seen on them than the other 1904 rear sight that screws into the barrel. Always liked the one you have on yours but have never crossed paths with one to buy.
    Savage- "never say never".

seve
    It's a strange site. It has a peep hole in it, and a small notch in the top of it, presumably for further distance. I understand the early models had this sight.