Thread: Rechambering 30-06 barrel to 300 win mag

Rechambering 30-06 barrel to 300 win mag

Can someone estimate how much it would cost to have a like new mcgowen barrel rechambered in 300 win mag from 30-06? Would I be better of selling it and buying a new one already chambered in 300?

It would probably run you about $125, depending on the smith. Far cheaper than purchasing a new barrel.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Great, thanks!
    Now, next question. Where should I send it I am located in eastern kansas.

Personally I'd send it to Jim at Apache, but I'd contact him via email first to get an idea on his backlog.

apachegunworks AT gmail DOT com....
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

lrshooting
    I'm not entirely 100% on this, but im thinking the mag calibers have the larger shank. I know the short mags do. Just FYI. Im not too concerned about it with my short mag, but I figured you might as well know

Basic Member
    The 300WM came in both sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    I'm not entirely 100% on this, but im thinking the mag calibers have the larger shank. I know the short mags do. Just FYI. Im not too concerned about it with my short mag, but I figured you might as well know
    No, you're thinking wrong. All of the mag calibers do not come in large shank. Only chamberings made on the 416 case (WSM,RUM), the Lapua, and the 300 WinMag 110 BA are large shank.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    No, you're thinking wrong. All of the mag calibers do not come in large shank. Only chamberings made on the 416 case (WSM,RUM), the Lapua, and the 300 WinMag 110 BA are large shank.
    That's what I said unless my terminology is wrong. When I say mag calibers, I mean magnum bolt face or larger, so calibers with a .540 or .590. By the way, the 416 rigby is not the parent case for the wsm or rum, but is for the lapua and larger weatherbys. The 416 rigby has the .590 base. I honestly don't what the parent case for those cartridges are. It's not anything belted or it wouldnt be a true parent case.

It will be going on a small shank long action mag bolt face, no worries there.

That's what I said unless my terminology is wrong. When I say mag calibers, I mean magnum bolt face or larger, so calibers with a .540 or .590. By the way, the 416 rigby is not the parent case for the wsm or rum, but is for the lapua and larger weatherbys. The 416 rigby has the .590 base. I honestly don't what the parent case for those cartridges are. It's not anything belted or it wouldnt be a true parent case.
    After doing a little looking, it looks like the WSM's were based on a new case design. I had always thought they were based on the Rigby. Your terminology is off a bit, your statement that "mag calibers have the larger shank" is just not accurate, and could potentially have someone order the wrong barrel for their build based on that. Magnum cartridges such as the 7mm Remington Mag, the 338 Winchester Mag, and nearly all of the other belted magnums have always been factory built using the small shank action, with few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mthomas90 View Post
    It will be going on a small shank long action mag bolt face, no worries there.
    None at all.

Basic Member
    It would probably run you about $125, depending on the smith. Far cheaper than purchasing a new barrel.
    It would cost the same or less to sell it (Depending on Round Count) and Buy a new one. Places like Gun Shack usually have them sitting on the shelf ready to ship. Unless you have a Reputable Smith near buy that won't take 6 months to complete the job.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    It would cost the same or less to sell it (Depending on Round Count) and Buy a new one. Places like Gun Shack usually have them sitting on the shelf ready to ship. Unless you have a Reputable Smith near buy that won't take 6 months to complete the job.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too. The barrel has 4 rounds down it, so it's basically new. It's already the taper, length, and threaded like I was going to get, so if I could get it chambered relatively soon I think I would keep it.

I tried this once and the nationaly recognized smith botched it up. The pilot does not reach the bore so the nose of the reamer is not supported. I would think the bore would have to be single pointed to get the pilot into the rifling/bore. I would be very interested in a real smiths opinion. Fred?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

lrshooting
    After doing a little looking, it looks like the WSM's were based on a new case design. I had always thought they were based on the Rigby. Your terminology is off a bit, your statement that "mag calibers have the larger shank" is just not accurate, and could potentially have someone order the wrong barrel for their build based on that. Magnum cartridges such as the 7mm Remington Mag, the 338 Winchester Mag, and nearly all of the other belted magnums have always been factory built using the small shank action, with few exceptions.
    I see. But the WSMs and SAUMs do run large shank actions?? I just read that somewhere. I only looked it up because I was in the process of building my 7mm SAUM and I didn't know but a lot of people do it so its really kind of irrelevant to the OP. But for the sake of information, its nice to know.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I tried this once and the nationaly recognized smith botched it up. The pilot does not reach the bore so the nose of the reamer is not supported. I would think the bore would have to be single pointed to get the pilot into the rifling/bore. I would be very interested in a real smiths opinion. Fred?
    If your running a live pilot, then take it out. Machine a new pilot that is longer and a longer screw will get you going. Of course thats only if you have a lathe. I did this when I messed up a hydroform die I made. It works great.

I see. But the WSMs and SAUMs do run large shank actions?? I just read that somewhere. I only looked it up because I was in the process of building my 7mm SAUM and I didn't know but a lot of people do it so its really kind of irrelevant to the OP. But for the sake of information, its nice to know.
    Yes. And the reason is that with small shank actions, Savage found that upon firing, there was enough expansion of the chamber walls with the larger bodied cases to cause the brass to also expand. The chamber walls would then return to its original size, but the brass had expanded enough to cause difficult extraction. Increasing the chamber wall thickness only slightly alleviated the problem for the most part.
    The two WSM rifles I have built on small shank actions have not displayed any difficulty exrracting fired cases. But I don't run proof loads through them, either.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 04-01-2016 at 10:23 PM.

If your running a live pilot, then take it out. Machine a new pilot that is longer and a longer screw will get you going. Of course thats only if you have a lathe. I did this when I messed up a hydroform die I made. It works great.
    Good response Rocket Man. Makes good sense.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.