Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has built a "full" custom savage.

Basic Member

Who has built a "full" custom savage.

As the title says who has went full custom. Not just a stock and barrel swap. I am talking trued and timed, all the bolt lift mods, bushed firing pin, custom sized bolt body, and probably some stuff i have never heard of. What are your thoughts after the work? Have you been able to compare it to any of the custom action manufacturers?

Tell us about your build. What did you have done? Who did it? How do you like it? I know i am interested in this and i hope others are to.

Feel free to post pics with your build

I believe you are getting up there into the price of a custom action by then. Kind of defeats the purpose of the savage. If you want it to be like a bat action you better just buy a bat.

what I like is the interchangeability of the savage. Multiple barrels = multiple calibers. No year waiting on a gunsmith. Do it yourself

If you want perfection then hire it done.

I had 3 Savage Precision Target actions worked over by SSS (a/k/a Fred M.) including his Evolution Trigger. At the time I had them built, it was definitely cheaper vs. a BAT or Panda Action. I also like the McMillian Low Boy Stock.

With this setup, I hung in there with the best of them. If you can find a deal on one already set up, it would be worth looking at.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    I can see the point of getting near the cost of a custom but i do see a fair amount of savings with a custom savage. I paid 400 for a complete model 11 a true and time job by sss is 165 a fluted ptg bolt body in a custom dia is 105. A nat lambeth bolt lift kit is 35 dallars. Take your pick on a bolt handle. Lets use 60 for a figure.

I would have 765 into custom savage action and and the parts to go along with it. Would it compare to a custom at that point?

LongRange
    what are you planing to do with the rifle?

After fitting closer tolerence bolt bodies, I would go with an unfluted body or have SSS do their fluting on my fitted bolt body rather than use what PTG or some of the other fluting services offer.. The SSS triggers are the best for savage in my opinion. I dont see the Lambeth kit as a value. Trueing and SSS cocking ramp mod is the way to go. I prefer actions with the threads single pointed inline with the bolt and action. Going up to the larger savage thread is one way to do it and still maintain prefit status.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The answer to your thread title: Fred Moreo
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The answer to your thread title: Fred Moreo
    thats where I fall. The cocking effort is worth it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    what are you planing to do with the rifle?
    Shoot it mostly....lol

Target shoot and maybe some local matches.
    I have been looking at barrels and starting thinking about other mods to go with. Have heard nothing bad about sss t and t and may see about getting on his list for that. Mostly i like to tinker and make things as functional as possible.

For the guys having timing and trying done, were you having troubles getting the bolt open? How easy does it really need to be? I don't get hard bolt lift, and can't see it helping with accuracy. Panda action 's seem to cock about like my Savages.

This is a pretty cool topic. Personally I don't shoot matches just like to try to put a lot of lead is small groups from time to time and be as efficient hunting as I can be so these items don't really apply to my usage, but it would be interesting to hear what these items physically did to improve your rig. We all know the factory composite package stock do a poor job of supporting the rig and can cause flyers with a loaded bipod so we swap stocks for an example.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

LongRange
    agree with Dan....other than the bolt slide most of the actions ive fondled cock about the same...there is resistance when closing and opening.

MI223...this is a PTA that ive had for about 5yrs...

and since you like to tinker heres a few things ive done to this action and id be willing to bet that it is pretty close to a T&T action as far as bolt lift goes...i had the face of the receiver trued and added a PT&G bolt body,bolt head and glades armory bolt handle.
    ive polished all of the contact points in the action and smoothed out all the sharp edges with 2000 and 2500 grit wet and dry sand paper...Popsicle sticks work great...ive also polished the cocking piece,cocking piece pin and cocking piece sleeve inside and out,inside the bolt body and the cocking ramp,and the PT&G bolt head...i also found the by polishing the high points on the bolt body it help a little as well. i also radius-ed the firing pin so no need for a bushed bolt head.

i can open the bolt after fired with the back side of my index and middle fingers without the rifle moving much on a bipod and rear bag and could probable make it a little easier/lighter by drilling and tapping the rear baffle and adding set screws to adjust primary extraction...actions are pretty basic and pretty simple to make run smooth.

and by the way there is no bolt lift kit in this action just a little TLC in the right places.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI223 View Post
    As the title says who has went full custom. Not just a stock and barrel swap. I am talking trued and timed, all the bolt lift mods, bushed firing pin, custom sized bolt body, and probably some stuff i have never heard of. What are your thoughts after the work? Have you been able to compare it to any of the custom action manufacturers?

Tell us about your build. What did you have done? Who did it? How do you like it? I know i am interested in this and i hope others are to.

Feel free to post pics with your build

This beauty was done by Fred. I purchased the action off by brother for $100. It was a Savage 111 in 30-06. Fred converted the bolt from RB RP to LB RP. He then screwed on a 27" Brux 7mm Mag barrel with his muzzle brake. He timed and trued the action, installed a Competition trigger and built the stock for this beast. This is easily one of the most precise rifles I own. I throw 180g Berger Hybrids at ~2860. I could probably hot rod it further, but the groups I get too good to mess with the load lol. The barrel has been cerakoted to match the action a little better.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by MI223 View Post
    Shoot it mostly....lol

Target shoot and maybe some local matches.
    I have been looking at barrels and starting thinking about other mods to go with. Have heard nothing bad about sss t and t and may see about getting on his list for that. Mostly i like to tinker and make things as functional as possible.
    Confucius says:
    Sounds to me like you have the cart in front of the horse Grasshopper.

Too much internet has clouded your mind.

In order to fill your needs a good factory rifle and a hand loading kit is what you seek.

You're Welcome.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Mortarman0341
    If cost of custom vs savage actions is part of the equation you should figure in the value of the gun when you are done with it. What do custom savages sell for compared to a Bat? Unless funds are unlimited resale should always be a concern.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Confucius says:
    Sounds to me like you have the cart in front of the horse Grasshopper.

Too much internet has clouded your mind.

In order to fill your needs a good factory rifle and a hand loading kit is what you seek.

You're Welcome.
    No offense but i disagree... i handload all of my rifles with the best precision I can with the equipment i have. The rifle currently is shooting sub moa but i am always looking for improvement. Some may be happy with sub moa and put thousands of rounds down range and never touch it again and that is great if it makes them happy. Me on the other hand enjoy my trigger time but i also enjoy my bench time triing to improve things as much as possible. Sure I may be the week point in my rifle system but that is also part of what i am always trying to improve upon when i am out shooting.

Longrange hit the nail on the head for me. I have done some polishing on th cocking ramp but never touched the rest of it. Sounds like the bolt os coming back apart and i will get some stones and sand paper out again.

What is being accomplished by the primary extraction mod with the set screws. I guess that one dosnt make sense to me yet.

Thanks for the imput guys lets keep them coming for everyones benefit.

What is being accomplished by the primary extraction mod with the set screws. I guess that one dosnt make sense to me yet.
    the same thing as machining the end of the bolt body, just a shade tree aproach.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...8-New-br-rifle

Pay no mind to the final cost, it went up with a few changes, and with shooting and tweaking the load the group sizes went down way down. My best to date was a 0.162 and more than a few in the 0.165 range @ 100. But I don't shoot group matches I shoot score matches and my scores have gone up, haven't shot a 250 YET but came close.
    This barrel just came off and a 6mm full bull went on but haven't shot yet, waiting on the right dies to come in(2 weeks late).
    Stock trigger is set at 7oz. and breaks clean bolt lift smooth and easy with no mods.
    For what I paid to build in my cellar I could have spent another couple hundred and let someone else do it but why. I shoot for fun and compete against myself and this custom does just fine.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortarman0341 View Post
    If cost of custom vs savage actions is part of the equation you should figure in the value of the gun when you are done with it. What do custom savages sell for compared to a Bat? Unless funds are unlimited resale should always be a concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post

Pay no mind to the final cost, it went up with a few changes, and with shooting and tweaking the load the group sizes went down way down. My best to date was a 0.162 and more than a few in the 0.165 range @ 100. But I don't shoot group matches I shoot score matches and my scores have gone up, haven't shot a 250 YET but came close.
    This barrel just came off and a 6mm full bull went on but haven't shot yet, waiting on the right dies to come in(2 weeks late).
    Stock trigger is set at 7oz. and breaks clean bolt lift smooth and easy with no mods.
    For what I paid to build in my cellar I could have spent another couple hundred and let someone else do it but why. I shoot for fun and compete against myself and this custom does just fine.
    Mortarman and froggy both bring up good points...

as Mortarman says you should consider resale value just if case you ever want to get rid of it...i have a long action 110BA that is about the same as the PTA i post as far as being smooth...it has a 28" shilen select match in 260rem that shoots 292.5 5 shot groups at 100yds and shot a 591 in a 1000yd F-class...i tried to sell it awhile back for what i thought was a smokin deal...long story short i still have it.

also like froggy says why have someone else do the work when its so simple to make them shoot tiny groups yourself...and also like froggy says with no mods.

i just went with a custom action but ONLY because i need an action that will feed and eject reliably when ran hard and fast and also with resale in mind not because i think its going to be more accurate...now if i was a bench rest shooter that got paid to shoot id have a different view but if youve seen some of the targets i post its pretty obvious im not LOL...can

you make a savage accurate? sure you can take a look for yourself...

8 rounds with two different lots of 140g berger hybrids from the PTA in the picture i posted....

this is a 5 shot group at 100yds from my 110BA...

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post

I am with you on that. The reason I like the savage is the do it yourself aspect. I have the gunsmith built guns and they shoot great but I get so much more satisfaction out of the ones I put together myself. Reloading and building rifles that shoot accurately is a challenging hobby. Always something new to try. Always something new to learn. Cost is one of the last factors in my decisions. I know I will never be able to get back what I have spent if I sell a rifle. What I do is give them to my relatives when I have done all I can with one and need room for a new build.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    What I do is give them to my relatives when I have done all I can with one and need room for a new build.
    Need a new Brother?
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    So i just got back from the range and it occurred to me how rude it was to ask for others builds without posting my own. So here it is savage 11. 223 rem factory barrel sitting in xlr element with a vortex viper pst on top.

The following is my load development for the hornady 68 grain hpbt.

Basic Member
    Plenty of customs around here.

Can you make a Savage shoot like a full blown custom rig? Sure can. But the law of diminishing returns is VERY relevant in the case that you do. Put $2,500 into a Savage, don't expect to get but half of your investment back.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Plenty of customs around here.

Can you make a Savage shoot like a full blown custom rig? Sure can. But the law of diminishing returns is VERY relevant in the case that you do. Put $2,500 into a Savage, don't expect to get but half of your investment back.
    Very Good Point!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Do you build them to shoot and enjoy or to make a profit?
    Me for the satisfaction of building my own and seeing out perform some customs.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast