Thread: Leveling cross hairs on side mount setup

Turbolung

Leveling cross hairs on side mount setup

Anyone know a trick to preventing the scope from canting when torquing down the screws on a Weaver side mount setup? I level it up perfectly but the dang crosshairs twist out of plumb every time cause the screws are all on one side...grrrr

The best way I found years ago was to cant the scope a bit the opposite way from the screws. It is trial and error though.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    American Rifle Company (ARC) M10 rings are worth every penny!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbolung View Post
    Anyone know a trick to preventing the scope from canting when torquing down the screws on a Weaver side mount setup?

Sure, bed the receiver to the mount or the mount to the receiver, your choice. You can buy the best mount ever made but if the receiver isn't right (most aren't) is ain't gonna fit.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Get some good rings.

Turbolung
    As far as iv found in my research...there's only one mount I can use for a Savage model 5..the weaver #2 base and side mount rings. Other wise I would have definitely gone with something better.

With the spirit level still on the turret, I will start snugging one side of one ring. When the bubble starts moving, I'll start snugging the other side. Then I go back and forth until I hit my torque specs. Most of my rings have multiple screws on each side, so I'll rotate between them as I switch sides, kind of like tightening the lug nuts on a car.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you're talking about a side mount. I don't have any experience with those.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 03-29-2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: I appear to be unable to read.

Turbolung
    I like that tip though and will have adopt it on regular rings Dr. Thunder..

Turbolung
    BTW..got it as close to perfect ad I could using your method GaCop..and did jbweld the base to receiver Bill..but for other reasons. I was concerned the receiver threads were gonna strip and I wanted to make sure I was mounting on a solid foundation. So I glued the base and covered the threads of the screws as well. I'd say it's never gonna move lol Anyway, very impressed with this rifle. It had no problem grouping inside of a nickel at 100 yards with a 4x scope. I read the model 5s were accurate...very pleased :)