Thread: New Savage LRP 6.5 Creedmoor - factory ammo selection

Basic Member

New Savage LRP 6.5 Creedmoor - factory ammo selection

Hi everyone, I purchased a new 6.5 Savage LRP and have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet. I hope to get out and break her in during the next month or so when work allows. What have you guys found that shoots and groups best out of this model?

Thanks

The Hornady factory ammunition with 120 and 140gr Amax bullets has always shot best in mine.

Basic Member
    Get in to reloading.
    Berger 140 hybrid
    Hornady brass
    Cci br2 primers
    H-4350 powder 42gr.
    Hornady custom grade dies
    Last edited by homefrontsniper; 03-28-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Although it hurt me where my soul should be, the factory 120gr Amax was a phenomenal shooter.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Although it hurt me where my soul should be, the factory 120gr Amax was a phenomenal shooter.
    They where !

Still have a few boxes

Basic Member
    My rifle didn't like the 140gr for some reason, but the 120 shoots great, and the 129 sst shoot best. I do have a box each of the 140 and 142 eld loads they just released, but haven't gotten to test them yet. In all honesty, any of the factory loads should be match quality and shoot at least moa for you

I shot about 10 boxes of 140 grain ELD-M and I don't get the same result as the 140 grain A-Max . . .

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    LOL. Me too! I didn't even bother to attempt reloads for the 120 Amax for a long time. Then I just did a "clone" of theirs...mine were maybe a bit more consistent....notice the weasel word "maybe" but not by much if any.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    LOL. Me too! I didn't even bother to attempt reloads for the 120 Amax for a long time. Then I just did a "clone" of theirs...mine were maybe a bit more consistent....notice the weasel word "maybe" but not by much if any.
    I love the 120 grain A-Max

Really great round

65 Grendel
    How are the 120 gr Amax on Whitetails?

Quote Originally Posted by 65 Grendel View Post
    How are the 120 gr Amax on Whitetails?
    No clue at all . . . I only shoot paper in F-Class

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    140 Hornady eld match shoot under .5 in mine

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger3 View Post
    140 Hornady eld match shoot under .5 in mine
    Mine does the same

But gonna give it another try since I will be swapping my scope and need to zero it again

Basic Member
    I was breaking in my 10T 6.5cm with the 140 ELD. Bad enough to send the rifle to savage. Tried the 129 SST which wasn't great either. Anyone try the 143 ELD-X yet? My order of that just came in so once the my rifle comes back, will be trying them.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I was breaking in my 10T 6.5cm with the 140 ELD. Bad enough to send the rifle to savage. Tried the 129 SST which wasn't great either. Anyone try the 143 ELD-X yet? My order of that just came in so once the my rifle comes back, will be trying them.
    I use the Hornady ELD-M 140 grain @ 1000 yards

Now I was talking to a shooter at a F-Class match a few months ago
    His comment was that the ELD-M 140 grain where all over the target
    He didn't get any nice grouping using them compared to the A-Max
    His words not mine

I actually don't notice any difference

Basic Member
    The problem with the 140 ELD-M if shooting commercial ammo is OAL. My max OAL for my 10T 6.5cm is 2.860. I measured the 140, 2.820. Its not close enough to the lands, which match rounds need to be. If those were reloads, would like to know how close he set them to the lands. A-max doesn't need to be close to the lands. I tried reloading 308 with A-max close to the lands to see if they would tighten up as I got closer. Got worst the closer I got. Leave them at 2.800 now and shoot great. The A-max will be replaced by the ELD from what hornady told me. All there tips will use the new ones. Notice even the match rounds now use the new tips vs a hollow tip? BC's are even better with tip on.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    If you're looking at factory ammo the Prime ammo with 130 grain bullets shoots well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    If you're looking at factory ammo the Prime ammo with 130 grain bullets shoots well too.
    Gonna check them

jdvoracek
    Thanks for the COAL data point, bearcatrp: just got around to measuring COAL on my new Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor using Sierra Match King 142 today at 2.851 - very similar to your results. This bullet is not supposed to be too sensitive to seating depth so I plan to load IMR 4451 at 2.820 cartridge overall length to start. Will post results in a few weeks if it ever stops raining in Texas.

Anyone using the Winchester Match rounds ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    The problem with the 140 ELD-M if shooting commercial ammo is OAL. My max OAL for my 10T 6.5cm is 2.860. I measured the 140, 2.820. Its not close enough to the lands, which match rounds need to be. If those were reloads, would like to know how close he set them to the lands. A-max doesn't need to be close to the lands. I tried reloading 308 with A-max close to the lands to see if they would tighten up as I got closer. Got worst the closer I got. Leave them at 2.800 now and shoot great. The A-max will be replaced by the ELD from what hornady told me. All there tips will use the new ones. Notice even the match rounds now use the new tips vs a hollow tip? BC's are even better with tip on.
    The new eld projectiles are what's called a hybrid so they have that sexy BC however because the ogive isn't as flat they aren't as sensitive to seating depth and are supposed to be able to handle a 20 thou jump.
    The only projectiles I ever used from hornady that were sensitive to seating depth were the 105 grain 243 match. With those ones I had to kiss the lands,luckily the mag on my tc dimension easily accommodate the longer oal.
    So I'll admit I'm surprised you had a problem. They were specifically designed and engineered to be less sensitive to seating depth.
    As far as the tips go apparently the new ones are melt proof so they are using them on almost everything.
    If you haven't already and use a lot of hornady projectiles I recommend getting onto hornady's mailing list and join their little club. It's free to join.
    They mail you some reading material which includes what makes each different projectile line special vs the others.
    For example they explain at what speed each line was designed to expand properly at. So basically you can fine tune the projectile for the distance you'll be hunting at so when it impacts you'll achieve full expansion and no thru and thru which as we all know can ruin a day easily.
    Or if shorter range with a fast cartridge you'll pick the line that made to expand at that particular velocity.
    If just punching paper I doubt it makes a difference however when hunting knowing the bullets particular performance characteristics is an important tidbit of info.
    With hornady there ain't a one size fits all,which when you think about it is a good idea.
    Animals with tougher thicker hides need one that will expand later so you get adequate penetration etc.
    Joining their club is free and I think once you do if you ever order from them you get some kind of discount or extra bullets or something.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdvoracek View Post
    Thanks for the COAL data point, bearcatrp: just got around to measuring COAL on my new Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor using Sierra Match King 142 today at 2.851 - very similar to your results. This bullet is not supposed to be too sensitive to seating depth so I plan to load IMR 4451 at 2.820 cartridge overall length to start. Will post results in a few weeks if it ever stops raining in Texas.
    Are you measuring right to the tip,or to the ogive? The ogive is where you want to measure from. Not every bullet is identical so the most important variable for consistent point of impact when it comes to seating the projectile is at what point the ogive engages the lands. So if you're measuring to the tip but it's not consistent with the test loads your point of impact won't be consistent so when possible always measure to the ogive since that's what will engage the rifling.
    Just a thought.

Basic Member
    My Savage 12 LRP shoots the Hornady Match 140 ELD M in tiny groups. So oak doesn't matter.

I shot my Savage 12 LRP Creedmoor 6.5 using 140 ELD-M and 120 grain A-Max a few days ago

The grouping at 600 yards - it was really windy - was a lot better with the 120 grain A-Max !

And I tried it 2 x with each round

I was really surprised to be honest

I thought that the 140 grain would do better since they have a higher BC

Or is it the 200+ higher velocity speed of the A-Max makes the difference . . . has to be . . .

Last edited by Kingair001; 05-23-2016 at 12:36 PM.